Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Squeezebox Touch Equivalent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Squeezebox Touch Equivalent - Page 3

post #31 of 50
Hey i saw you mms and i have a squeeze box touch is new and all never open and want to sell it as fast as possible as in now for $500.00 and free shipping
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post
 

 

You could get the original Xbox console for almost nothing on Ebay, install XBMC on it, modify it's hardware as you wish and use it as a network media center or streamer just like the Touch.

Of course you'll then need to get a separate TV or monitor for it but you would be able to do so much more things with it since it's basically a PC.

I've also been looking for something similar to the Touch and the Xbox is great value for something that costs almost nothing.

Don't know if sound quality could not stand up to the other options, though.

 

I found this thread and was interested also in finding a replacement for my old Squeezebox 3.  I like it because of the stand-alone use (ie, easy for the wife to use).  I do have an old xbox in the basement somewhere  but it wont fit on the fireplace mantle where the SB3 is sitting now.  I breifly looked at the rasperyPi but no remote that I could easily see... nor is there a display that would work.  If it's as expensive as the sonos I could just buy a cheap tablet and use it, but not sure how to remote control it.  If there was a way to get spotify to play on the old SB3 without using LMS it would be perfect, but it was dropped long ago from development unless there's some rouge firmware out there I don't know about.

post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by butrageno View Post

Who is the Cocktail Audio X10 dealer? --Thanks.
I got mine via amazon. Only had it a few days but I'm already quite impressed. Will do a full review once I've had a chance to test it more thoroughly.
post #34 of 50

I just stumbled across this thread when trying to find out why Squeezebox (SB) had disappeared from the Logitech website. I have a SB Classic and Radio. The Classic is hooked into my stereo and can be controlled with the Logitech Media Server (LMS) installed on my MacBook Pro as well as with iPeng and Logitech's own app on my iPhone. IMHO, SB is an ideal solution for streaming content from a subscription service, Internet radio, Pandora or your computer to your sound system. I am still a bit in shock that it's being discontinued by Logitech, except for the new UE Radio.

 

The Olive ONE sounds interesting, but very expensive. Also, since it only works via it's touch display, it can't be controlled remotely via a computer interface, e.g. Logitech Media Server.

 

I guess this is what it is and that no amount of badgering Logitech will bring back the Classic or Touch. I notice that my Classic is now for sale on Amazon for $499 for an open box product and $699 brand new!!!!!!! I guess I should look at mine as an investment!

 

Say goodbye to one of the best streaming products ever: the Squeezebox Classic. Here's hoping that Logitech will leave Squeezebox.com functional indefinitely, but I sure doubt that they will. I guess I can always power it via LMS, but under Mavericks, the LMS will not automatically boot on startup and I can't find any newer builds that fix this problem.

 

Anyway, I guess I'm just venting. I'll hold on to my SB Classic until it dies as it fits my needs perfectly!


Edited by Bocaboy - 3/1/14 at 1:51pm
post #35 of 50

If Logitech isn't supporting the Squeezebox any more, then I don't understand why anyone would buy a new or unused one?  What are you going to do for software?  Don't you need to download operational software to make it functional?

 

My question is more than academic.  I converted my entire CD collection to lossless, residing on an external drive on my music studio computer.  There are also mp3 files on that computer's C drive. I have a Squeezebox Touch attached to my primary stereo system in my living room.  When I try to access my lossless files, the Squeezebox recognizes my studio computer, but finds no music files, either on the C drive or the external drive.  It seems that there is some kind of corruption in the software. I thought about reinstalling the media center software, but it doesn't seem to be available.

 

So why would anyone buy the hardware if the software isn't available?  And does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get my Squeezebox to find my music files?

post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocar37 View Post
 

If Logitech isn't supporting the Squeezebox any more, then I don't understand why anyone would buy a new or unused one?  What are you going to do for software?  Don't you need to download operational software to make it functional?

 

My question is more than academic.  I converted my entire CD collection to lossless, residing on an external drive on my music studio computer.  There are also mp3 files on that computer's C drive. I have a Squeezebox Touch attached to my primary stereo system in my living room.  When I try to access my lossless files, the Squeezebox recognizes my studio computer, but finds no music files, either on the C drive or the external drive.  It seems that there is some kind of corruption in the software. I thought about reinstalling the media center software, but it doesn't seem to be available.

 

So why would anyone buy the hardware if the software isn't available?  And does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get my Squeezebox to find my music files?

Hi, you need streaming software to stream the music to the SB touch. Either LMS or something like Media Center. You can also attach a external usb drive directly to the touch but that is supposed to be not so efficient.

Rgds

Vinod

post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocar37 View Post
 

If Logitech isn't supporting the Squeezebox any more, then I don't understand why anyone would buy a new or unused one?  What are you going to do for software?  Don't you need to download operational software to make it functional?

 

My question is more than academic.  I converted my entire CD collection to lossless, residing on an external drive on my music studio computer.  There are also mp3 files on that computer's C drive. I have a Squeezebox Touch attached to my primary stereo system in my living room.  When I try to access my lossless files, the Squeezebox recognizes my studio computer, but finds no music files, either on the C drive or the external drive.  It seems that there is some kind of corruption in the software. I thought about reinstalling the media center software, but it doesn't seem to be available.

 

So why would anyone buy the hardware if the software isn't available?  And does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get my Squeezebox to find my music files?


There is still active community development and support via the Wiki <http://wiki.slimdevices.com> and the Forums <http://forums.slimdevices.com/index.php>.

post #38 of 50

Logitech is saying that they'll support the Squeezebox family for the foreseeable future, whatever that means. I might not invest in a new Squeezebox, but the one I currently use works just fine with my stereo and computer, running Mavericks. The only gripe I have is that the Logitech Media Center server will no longer will automatically start with Mavericks. This is probably a security feature from Apple, but a shortcoming I'm willing to live with.

 

Check out the Olive One as a replacement for the Squeezebox. If Squeezebox Classic died today, that's probably what I'd get. In the meantime, my Squeezebox Classic and Radio continue to work perfectly. If the Logitech Media Center stopped working, I'd consider replacing them both. Hopefully Logitech has more respect for their customers than to just dump the software.

post #39 of 50

I'm not sure if any of the Squeezeboxes would cater for my requirements:-

 

(a) A system totally independent from an external computer; i.e. self-contained. (I'm using it to supply music to my Hi-Fi system). As I have two portable hard drives (500 GB and 1 TB) with numerous WAV and FLAC files on them I want a mains-powered set-up to supply USB port/ports (part of the device) with enough current to activate one or more drives.

(b) Support for basically all feasible lossless audio formats. Even 32-bit 384 KHz PCM would be nice. As an SACD enthusiast, I want DSD support too; certainly DSD64 and I suppose DSD128 would offer some degree of future-proofing.

(c) A screen that allows display of the drives and their' folders and files. I'm happy with button selection for navigation and that would include being able to select what amounts to an entire album of files that will be played one after the other. Individual file selection and random selection also required. Also nice would be the ability to display album covers once selections have been made, as well as composer/artist(s) information, elapsed and total time(s) for the file(s), and file format (e.g. 24-bit 96 KHz FLAC)

(d) Gapless playback is a must, too. I have a number of albums that have continuous music across successive tracks and I don't want clicks or muting during that time.

(e) RCA sockets to allow feed to my preamplifier.

 

Someone I've been in touch with about this feels I'm asking for too much. Do you agree?

 

Many thanks for any suggestions.

post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMarch View Post
 

I'm not sure if any of the Squeezeboxes would cater for my requirements:-

 

(a) A system totally independent from an external computer; i.e. self-contained. (I'm using it to supply music to my Hi-Fi system). As I have two portable hard drives (500 GB and 1 TB) with numerous WAV and FLAC files on them I want a mains-powered set-up to supply USB port/ports (part of the device) with enough current to activate one or more drives.

(b) Support for basically all feasible lossless audio formats. Even 32-bit 384 KHz PCM would be nice. As an SACD enthusiast, I want DSD support too; certainly DSD64 and I suppose DSD128 would offer some degree of future-proofing.

(c) A screen that allows display of the drives and their' folders and files. I'm happy with button selection for navigation and that would include being able to select what amounts to an entire album of files that will be played one after the other. Individual file selection and random selection also required. Also nice would be the ability to display album covers once selections have been made, as well as composer/artist(s) information, elapsed and total time(s) for the file(s), and file format (e.g. 24-bit 96 KHz FLAC)

(d) Gapless playback is a must, too. I have a number of albums that have continuous music across successive tracks and I don't want clicks or muting during that time.

(e) RCA sockets to allow feed to my preamplifier.

 

Someone I've been in touch with about this feels I'm asking for too much. Do you agree?

 

Many thanks for any suggestions.

 

Not sure about the Squeezeboxes but sounds like what you need is a music server like the Aune S1

 

a) Self-contained - check; HDD via dedicated ports - check; HDD via USB - check, but might need a powered hub if 2.5in without its own PSU; also, NAS via LAN

b) All format supprt - check; high-res support - check; except for DSD

c) Screen - check; too small for speaker set-up/too slow for navigating several folders deep? hook it up to your home network via wired LAN, download the app for your device, boom - remote control on a tablet or smartphone with the same interface as music players for those devices

d) I think it has gapless

e) RCA sockets - check


Edited by ProtegeManiac - 5/4/14 at 3:54am
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMarch View Post

I'm not sure if any of the Squeezeboxes would cater for my requirements:-

(a) A system totally independent from an external computer; i.e. self-contained. (I'm using it to supply music to my Hi-Fi system). As I have two portable hard drives (500 GB and 1 TB) with numerous WAV and FLAC files on them I want a mains-powered set-up to supply USB port/ports (part of the device) with enough current to activate one or more drives.
(b) Support for basically all feasible lossless audio formats. Even 32-bit 384 KHz PCM would be nice. As an SACD enthusiast, I want DSD support too; certainly DSD64 and I suppose DSD128 would offer some degree of future-proofing.
(c) A screen that allows display of the drives and their' folders and files. I'm happy with button selection for navigation and that would include being able to select what amounts to an entire album of files that will be played one after the other. Individual file selection and random selection also required. Also nice would be the ability to display album covers once selections have been made, as well as composer/artist(s) information, elapsed and total time(s) for the file(s), and file format (e.g. 24-bit 96 KHz FLAC)
(d) Gapless playback is a must, too. I have a number of albums that have continuous music across successive tracks and I don't want clicks or muting during that time.
(e) RCA sockets to allow feed to my preamplifier.

Someone I've been in touch with about this feels I'm asking for too much. Do you agree?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Sony HAP-Z1ES should satisfy you.
post #42 of 50

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

 

I am not familiar with the Aune S1 so I will check that out to see if it suits me. There do seem to be a couple of issues: powered USB and no DSD.

 

As far as the Sony HAP-Z1ES is concerned - yes, it certainly would satisfy me as it appears to be superb but (a) it doesn't seem to be available in New Zealand yet and (b) it's going to be fairly expensive when it does arrive - probably over NZ$4000 (based on the current US price of just under $2000). I'm in the process of buying a new expensive preamplifier and that's going to be a big drain on my resources.

post #43 of 50

Have a look at the Aries, cheaper than the Sony and has 2X DSD. Coming from Auralic the SQ should be top notch.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/auralic-debuts-aries-streamer-bridge/

 

 

Sonore has some nice solutions for even less
http://www.sonore.us/SOtM1.html


Edited by Zoo Animal - 5/4/14 at 3:57pm
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Animal View Post
 

Have a look at the Aries, cheaper than the Sony and has 2X DSD. Coming from Auralic the SQ should be top notch.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/auralic-debuts-aries-streamer-bridge/

 

 

Sonore has some nice solutions for even less
http://www.sonore.us/SOtM1.html


Thanks for that information. I'm beginning to see that there are a number of options available now so it's going to be a matter of deciding how much I want to spend and see what I can get for that money then deciding if I'm prepared to open my wallet a little wider to get something that's maybe a little better.

 

Nevertheless, I've written to Aune about its S1 - whether it supports portable USB-powered hard drives directly and if the company has plans to introduce support for DSD at any stage. By the way I note that 2L is now offering 24-bit 352.8 KHz files (not sure whether they're WAV or FLAC). I bet they're massive.

 

Cheers

post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMarch View Post
 

I'm not sure if any of the Squeezeboxes would cater for my requirements:-

 

(a) A system totally independent from an external computer; i.e. self-contained. (I'm using it to supply music to my Hi-Fi system). As I have two portable hard drives (500 GB and 1 TB) with numerous WAV and FLAC files on them I want a mains-powered set-up to supply USB port/ports (part of the device) with enough current to activate one or more drives.

(b) Support for basically all feasible lossless audio formats. Even 32-bit 384 KHz PCM would be nice. As an SACD enthusiast, I want DSD support too; certainly DSD64 and I suppose DSD128 would offer some degree of future-proofing.

(c) A screen that allows display of the drives and their' folders and files. I'm happy with button selection for navigation and that would include being able to select what amounts to an entire album of files that will be played one after the other. Individual file selection and random selection also required. Also nice would be the ability to display album covers once selections have been made, as well as composer/artist(s) information, elapsed and total time(s) for the file(s), and file format (e.g. 24-bit 96 KHz FLAC)

(d) Gapless playback is a must, too. I have a number of albums that have continuous music across successive tracks and I don't want clicks or muting during that time.

(e) RCA sockets to allow feed to my preamplifier.

 

Someone I've been in touch with about this feels I'm asking for too much. Do you agree?

 

Many thanks for any suggestions.

 

Olve One are already shipping to the backers but I think it's worth the wait..All your requirements are met except for the DSD.

 

you may check some pics here posted by a backer who got his unit

 

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/audiofx1/media/ONE/IMG_2652_zps2fee8ec3.jpg.html

 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124354637@N06/sets/72157644552353181/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Squeezebox Touch Equivalent