Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Squeezebox Touch Equivalent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Squeezebox Touch Equivalent - Page 2

post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelsas View Post


Looks very nice, I wasn't expecting a speaker poweramp together, but alas, it seems interesting.

 

 

BTW the DAC in it isn't really spectacular (do consider that I listened to it moments after listening to Cayin CDPs) but the amp section, as far as it being a convenient one-box solution is concerned, is quite surprising. It was able to power a pair of Duevel Planets, which are in the mid- to low 80db+ sensitivity range, loud enough (for me) and without clear signs of running out of steam.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelsas View Post

 


My problem is that to use it as a SBT equivalent, it need a smartphone or tablet app to control it. Since I have neither, buying a smartphone just to serve as a remote control sounds a waste of money. Do you know if an pc(windows or linux) would be able to control it remotely via wifi?

 

Well, the thing is with these devices nowadays is they're trying to get around the problem that digital iPod docks had with speaker systems - that is, if you have it in a pure audio set-up instead of an HT set-up (or both in the same room) - you won't be able to see the screen and you have at least 30gb (iPod 5g) of music in it, so you'd end up walking over to switch albums or add a display. Instead of engineering a remote with a screen that will add to the cost of the device, they're basically assuming that everybody has a smartphone or tablet to begin with, so they all just went for remote apps. Even A/V receivers nowadays have remotes that get more plasticky at every upgrade given an iPad or iPhone feels infinitely more solid, and it seems like only CDPs will retain those remotes you can use to knock out a burglar with. Add to that how often remotes get lost while a tablet can locate a phone (and possibly vice versa), and either one can be used as a remote anyway.

 

For your situation though, check the specs of the X10 for this, but I think you can stream audio to it; wireless with the antenna or maybe even ethernet. So basically instead of "controlling" the X10, you can use a PC (notebook, or even your desktop) to stream audio and the X10 basically acts as a network audio receiver. It's available without a bundled HDD anyway, but check if it comes with the antenna. Local dealer here sells it slightly cheaper without both but for about $150 more (which is basically the cost of a 1TB HDD and the antenna) they will bundle Castle mini monitors with it.

post #17 of 50

Who is the Cocktail Audio X10 dealer? --Thanks.

post #18 of 50

Project86 pointed out one of these in a similar thread some time back, apologies to op if its not to the spec sought, I know its slightly over budget but appears a very competent unit..

 

 

 

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-NEW-aune-S1-HIFI-Digital-Music-player-/170777894910


Edited by Ixion - 2/12/13 at 10:49am
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelsas View Post

So, I was thinking about buying a squeezebox touch yesterday just to discover that they have been discontinued for quite some months now, and that logitech have no clear intention to make a new edition of it.

 

Thus, I would like to ask if anyone know of a squeezebox touch equivalent, on the most literal sense:

 

1) Some kind of interface so it can be used as a standalone (non-battery run) player. Please no i-device/android dependant for remote control.

 

2) optical/coax output, so it can be used with an external dac, is possible hi-res capability but I can live without it

 

3) usb/ethernet inputs so It can access an external HDD or a NAS for database, although an internal storage, even it not too big (16-32 GB) would be most welcome but can be forgoten if it lower the price

 

4) easy operation, and small footprint if possible

 

5) < US$ 300, at max < US$ 500 (I almost had a heart attack when I saw the SB touch for ~ US$ 800)

 

Do anyone know anything that fits the description above?

 

You could get the original Xbox console for almost nothing on Ebay, install XBMC on it, modify it's hardware as you wish and use it as a network media center or streamer just like the Touch.

Of course you'll then need to get a separate TV or monitor for it but you would be able to do so much more things with it since it's basically a PC.

I've also been looking for something similar to the Touch and the Xbox is great value for something that costs almost nothing.

Don't know if sound quality could not stand up to the other options, though.

post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by butrageno View Post

Who is the Cocktail Audio X10 dealer? --Thanks.

 

It's available off Amazon UK. Offline, I don't know how many other countries have local dealers for it.

post #21 of 50

Scansonic is the best solution I've found..

 

Just like SBT, even cheaper and hooks up to external system

http://www.scansonic.dk/products/adaptors.2076/i100-wifi-internet-radio-adaptor.2092

 

 

Problem is they're hard to get in North America

post #22 of 50

BTW who cares if a player is 24/96k .. the music you're listening to is 16bit 44.1 at best. Listening to it at 24 96k will not make it sound better, do a blind test on people, I will put money that that no one will know the difference.. cause there isn't one! upconverting doesn't apply here.  I don't think you can even buy music bounced out at 24bit/96k, it's not conusmer standard yet.  

post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencn View Post

Scansonic is the best solution I've found..

 

Just like SBT, even cheaper and hooks up to external system

http://www.scansonic.dk/products/adaptors.2076/i100-wifi-internet-radio-adaptor.2092

 

 

Problem is they're hard to get in North America

 

I can't see the full specs, but based on the user's requirements off the SBT, the only thing about the Scansonic that seems similar is the form factor. Does the "MediaPlayer" option on its screen mean it can access files stored on an NAS?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelsas View Post

So, I was thinking about buying a squeezebox touch yesterday just to discover that they have been discontinued for quite some months now, and that logitech have no clear intention to make a new edition of it.

 

Thus, I would like to ask if anyone know of a squeezebox touch equivalent, on the most literal sense:

 

1) Some kind of interface so it can be used as a standalone (non-battery run) player. Please no i-device/android dependant for remote control.

 

2) optical/coax output, so it can be used with an external dac, is possible hi-res capability but I can live without it

 

3) usb/ethernet inputs so It can access an external HDD or a NAS for database, although an internal storage, even it not too big (16-32 GB) would be most welcome but can be forgoten if it lower the price

 

4) easy operation, and small footprint if possible

 

5) < US$ 300, at max < US$ 500 (I almost had a heart attack when I saw the SB touch for ~ US$ 800)

 

Do anyone know anything that fits the description above?

post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencn View Post

BTW who cares if a player is 24/96k .. the music you're listening to is 16bit 44.1 at best. Listening to it at 24 96k will not make it sound better, do a blind test on people, I will put money that that no one will know the difference.. cause there isn't one! upconverting doesn't apply here.  I don't think you can even buy music bounced out at 24bit/96k, it's not conusmer standard yet.  

 

Speak for yourself. Sure, if the source material is 16/44.1 then upsampling it to 24/96 isn't gonna do much, but if the source is 24/96 or higher and your playback equipment is high quality, differences can be audible (to many among us).

 

As far as music not being available, see www.hdtracks.com and www.itrax.com . Several (though not all) of the albums sold on hdtracks have been released by the original studios themselves using studio masters that were recorded in 24/96. Hard to beat that.

post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencn View Post

 I don't think you can even buy music bounced out at 24bit/96k, it's not conusmer standard yet.  

 

What are you talking about?

post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post

 

What are you talking about?

 

He's probably never heard of HDTracks. Or at least, most music he listens to isn't on HDTracks. Like how frustrated I was back when Metallica released (I think) Garage Inc on SACD but not S&M, or that Guano Apes had SACDs (not that I don't think they deserved being on the format) but not Nightwish, Kamelot, Dream Theater, etc.

post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post

 

He's probably never heard of HDTracks. Or at least, most music he listens to isn't on HDTracks. Like how frustrated I was back when Metallica released (I think) Garage Inc on SACD but not S&M, or that Guano Apes had SACDs (not that I don't think they deserved being on the format) but not Nightwish, Kamelot, Dream Theater, etc.


Then he probably shouldn't pretend he knows what he's talking about.

post #28 of 50

Right you are, I didn't know about HDTracks! To clarify I do commercial AV work, the customers I do work for (your basic consumer) certainly do not have HD source material.  For you Audiophile types, I can see how this is important .. at least I do now

post #29 of 50

Hi,

 

Why not use a Small Form Factor PC with foobar or some other software connected to an external USB DAC? In this case at least the platform changes can be avoided. If required you can use more fancier software like JRiver Media and there are many ranges of DACs available now.

 

You should have an app on android to control this hopefully.

 

 

Regards

 

Vinod

post #30 of 50

yeah i have one but does anyone want to buy the squeezbox touch please let me know its new and never been open

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Squeezebox Touch Equivalent