Just a silly question I was wondering if IEM are any better than open air headphones. What do you think?
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productPhiaton PS 500 Premium Headphones With Studio Grade 40mm Titanium Drivers and Closed-Ear Type Rear Enclosure For Concert Hall Quality Soundtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productWestone 4R with Removable Cablestagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Not that impressed with the Phillips X2 Last post on 2/23/15 at 4:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- *****Review***** Grado PS500 Last post on 12/4/14 at 7:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- Test: Sony MDR-F1 vs. Sony PFR-V1 vs. Grado PS500 Last post on 9/18/13 at 1:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First post- JDS Objective 2 + Grado PS500 for Country Rock and Classical with some pop thrown in? Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:11am in Headphones (full-size)
I actually have the ES900m, which doesn't have microphone and control buttons, but the rest is the same. For $6 it's impossible to buy a pair of earphones as good as them. I really believe...
This review will compare between the two semi-flagship headphones from two companies; The K712 headphones from AKG, and the HD700 from Sennheiser. "Expect and discover. The perfection." -box...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Noontec for providing me with a review sample of your Hammo S headphones. Still fresh in my mind how I almost missed an opportunity to review...
I have been using a E09K to power my DT990 600ohm cans for over two years now, long enough that I don't really remember exactly when I got it but for sure over two years. I use this thing every...
First and foremost, a big thank you to those at Noble Audio who has sent me a unit to review. The Noble Audio customer service experience has been a joy to behold. Brannan is always on hand to deal...
Would it be unsmart to sell my Grado PS-500 for IEM Westone 4r?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
What music do you listen to?
Do you find that the Grado headphones you have are a tad bright ( too much treble )? Do you find them uncomfortable?
Are you looking for something with better soundstaging or just an overall sonic improvement? More neutral? More bass?
I listen to pop, soft rock, electronic, dubstep. Allot of mainstrain music, but i really like Skrillex. The PS-500 is not uncomfortable as I do have the G-cush. What i'm looking for better soundstaging, yes some sonic imporements. I don't really think more bass means better, ps 500 has alot of bass. What do you see NA blur, would iem be better?
I do not have experience with the Westone IEM line. I do use a pair of JH Audio 10 x3 Pro IEMs and to me I like how quick they are and when properly driven the bass in extremely tight and airy.
There are a couple issues I have with custom IEMs:
1.) The fit may be loose making the seal a little tricky to acquire. I have to rotate and press my right earpiece in a little more than the left.
2.) They seal so well that they are not that practical at work or school because you have to take them in and out every so often.
3.) They are expensive so extra care must be taken not to snag them on something or leave them lying around.
Other than those issues I highly recommend custom IEMs. I like mine for plane rides and home listening where the extra isolation is a must. I went from an LCD-2 Rev 1 to the JH IEM and have not had one regret. The IEM is so light and comfortable as well as great sounding.
For me it was more about portability and ease of use versus a clunky and heavy headphone.
- Would it be unsmart to sell my Grado PS-500 for IEM Westone 4r?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Custom Art's Flagship - Harmony 8 and 8pro CIEM - discussion... 29 seconds ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression 4 minutes ago
- › Hello from UK 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 7 minutes ago
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 8 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 8 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 12 minutes ago
- › Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Trio 13 minutes ago
- › Luxury & Precision LP5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player by daduy
- › AWEI ES-900i Headset Earphones Speakers with Mic for Smart Phone -... by mrplt
- › AKG K712 Pro by KopaZ
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by twister6
- › FiiO E09K by Chuck Canada
- › Noble Audio Savant by uchihaitachi
- › RHA T10i by zim2411
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2