Just a silly question I was wondering if IEM are any better than open air headphones. What do you think?
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productPhiaton PS 500 Premium Headphones With Studio Grade 40mm Titanium Drivers and Closed-Ear Type Rear Enclosure For Concert Hall Quality Soundtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productWestone 4R with Removable Cablestagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Not that impressed with the Phillips X2 Last post on 7/20/15 at 4:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- *****Review***** Grado PS500 Last post on 12/4/14 at 7:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- Test: Sony MDR-F1 vs. Sony PFR-V1 vs. Grado PS500 Last post on 9/18/13 at 1:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First post- JDS Objective 2 + Grado PS500 for Country Rock and Classical with some pop thrown in? Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
This is a review of Audeze EL-8C closed back planar magnetic full size headphones: https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back, with a bonus review of Audeze Deckard desktop...
Preface: Nothing too technical here; just wanted to give my impression as someone that had to "downgrade" from the HE-400's recently and has tried dozens of full-sized cans. I have had these things...
Would it be unsmart to sell my Grado PS-500 for IEM Westone 4r?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
What music do you listen to?
Do you find that the Grado headphones you have are a tad bright ( too much treble )? Do you find them uncomfortable?
Are you looking for something with better soundstaging or just an overall sonic improvement? More neutral? More bass?
I listen to pop, soft rock, electronic, dubstep. Allot of mainstrain music, but i really like Skrillex. The PS-500 is not uncomfortable as I do have the G-cush. What i'm looking for better soundstaging, yes some sonic imporements. I don't really think more bass means better, ps 500 has alot of bass. What do you see NA blur, would iem be better?
I do not have experience with the Westone IEM line. I do use a pair of JH Audio 10 x3 Pro IEMs and to me I like how quick they are and when properly driven the bass in extremely tight and airy.
There are a couple issues I have with custom IEMs:
1.) The fit may be loose making the seal a little tricky to acquire. I have to rotate and press my right earpiece in a little more than the left.
2.) They seal so well that they are not that practical at work or school because you have to take them in and out every so often.
3.) They are expensive so extra care must be taken not to snag them on something or leave them lying around.
Other than those issues I highly recommend custom IEMs. I like mine for plane rides and home listening where the extra isolation is a must. I went from an LCD-2 Rev 1 to the JH IEM and have not had one regret. The IEM is so light and comfortable as well as great sounding.
For me it was more about portability and ease of use versus a clunky and heavy headphone.
- Would it be unsmart to sell my Grado PS-500 for IEM Westone 4r?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Three New Amps on Preorder from Audio-GD (C-2 11th Anniversary... 2 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 1 minute ago
- › Worth fixing Sennheiser HD580 or return to Ebay seller? 1 minute ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 2 minutes ago
- › RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 5 minutes ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 8 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by nmatheis
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3