Just a silly question I was wondering if IEM are any better than open air headphones. What do you think?
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productPhiaton PS 500 Premium Headphones With Studio Grade 40mm Titanium Drivers and Closed-Ear Type Rear Enclosure For Concert Hall Quality Soundtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productWestone 4R with Removable Cablestagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Test: Sony MDR-F1 vs. Sony PFR-V1 vs. Grado PS500 Last post on 9/18/13 at 1:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First post- JDS Objective 2 + Grado PS500 for Country Rock and Classical with some pop thrown in? Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:11am in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado PS500 are better than the Beyer T1's Last post on 4/14/13 at 5:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What is the Best Portable Headphone amp/dac to run with Grado Ps500 (Iphone 5 comp) Last post on 2/18/13 at 4:16pm in Portable Headphone Amps
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Would it be unsmart to sell my Grado PS-500 for IEM Westone 4r?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
What music do you listen to?
Do you find that the Grado headphones you have are a tad bright ( too much treble )? Do you find them uncomfortable?
Are you looking for something with better soundstaging or just an overall sonic improvement? More neutral? More bass?
I listen to pop, soft rock, electronic, dubstep. Allot of mainstrain music, but i really like Skrillex. The PS-500 is not uncomfortable as I do have the G-cush. What i'm looking for better soundstaging, yes some sonic imporements. I don't really think more bass means better, ps 500 has alot of bass. What do you see NA blur, would iem be better?
I do not have experience with the Westone IEM line. I do use a pair of JH Audio 10 x3 Pro IEMs and to me I like how quick they are and when properly driven the bass in extremely tight and airy.
There are a couple issues I have with custom IEMs:
1.) The fit may be loose making the seal a little tricky to acquire. I have to rotate and press my right earpiece in a little more than the left.
2.) They seal so well that they are not that practical at work or school because you have to take them in and out every so often.
3.) They are expensive so extra care must be taken not to snag them on something or leave them lying around.
Other than those issues I highly recommend custom IEMs. I like mine for plane rides and home listening where the extra isolation is a must. I went from an LCD-2 Rev 1 to the JH IEM and have not had one regret. The IEM is so light and comfortable as well as great sounding.
For me it was more about portability and ease of use versus a clunky and heavy headphone.
- Would it be unsmart to sell my Grado PS-500 for IEM Westone 4r?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › k1000 owners club 1 minute ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 2 minutes ago
- › To replace an HE-500... HE-500, HE-400i, or LCD-2? 3 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Burson Soloist 5 minutes ago
- › FS/FT: Burson Soloist Headphone Amplifier - Must get rid of SUPER... 5 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 5 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 5 minutes ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 5 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by RickFrank
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)