Just a silly question I was wondering if IEM are any better than open air headphones. What do you think?
- productGrado Professional Series PS500 - Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productPhiaton PS 500 Premium Headphones With Studio Grade 40mm Titanium Drivers and Closed-Ear Type Rear Enclosure For Concert Hall Quality Soundtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productWestone 4R with Removable Cablestagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Not that impressed with the Phillips X2 Last post on 2/23/15 at 4:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- *****Review***** Grado PS500 Last post on 12/4/14 at 7:45am in Headphones (full-size)
- Test: Sony MDR-F1 vs. Sony PFR-V1 vs. Grado PS500 Last post on 9/18/13 at 1:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First post- JDS Objective 2 + Grado PS500 for Country Rock and Classical with some pop thrown in? Last post on 2/18/13 at 3:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Thanks to Vivian from DUNU, I was able to listen to the best IEMs I place in my ears. I have reviewed a few IEMs such as the MEELEC M9, A151, CC51, M-DUO, JVC FXT90 and recently the Havi B3P1, but...
These have nice dynamics and are flatter than some headphones. Despite that the low-end still has enough gusto to bring tracks to life. Another benefit is the detachable cable which uses a 5N OFC...
Disclaimer: I am in not associated with any company; my views are mine, and my own. The Thinksound Rain2 is the newest IEM produced and designed by the environmentally friendly company...
Introduction: When I first came accross the AudioMinor in e-bay I was surprised that the seller is located in the country where I live: Turkey. I have contacted with the company owner/ebay...
For those if you who know me, you know i prefer the FR curve to be as neutral as possible. I have the Etymotic ER4s (ER4p with Etymotic's 75 ohm converter cable), had the HF5, and tried many...
Would it be unsmart to sell my Grado PS-500 for IEM Westone 4r?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
What music do you listen to?
Do you find that the Grado headphones you have are a tad bright ( too much treble )? Do you find them uncomfortable?
Are you looking for something with better soundstaging or just an overall sonic improvement? More neutral? More bass?
I listen to pop, soft rock, electronic, dubstep. Allot of mainstrain music, but i really like Skrillex. The PS-500 is not uncomfortable as I do have the G-cush. What i'm looking for better soundstaging, yes some sonic imporements. I don't really think more bass means better, ps 500 has alot of bass. What do you see NA blur, would iem be better?
I do not have experience with the Westone IEM line. I do use a pair of JH Audio 10 x3 Pro IEMs and to me I like how quick they are and when properly driven the bass in extremely tight and airy.
There are a couple issues I have with custom IEMs:
1.) The fit may be loose making the seal a little tricky to acquire. I have to rotate and press my right earpiece in a little more than the left.
2.) They seal so well that they are not that practical at work or school because you have to take them in and out every so often.
3.) They are expensive so extra care must be taken not to snag them on something or leave them lying around.
Other than those issues I highly recommend custom IEMs. I like mine for plane rides and home listening where the extra isolation is a must. I went from an LCD-2 Rev 1 to the JH IEM and have not had one regret. The IEM is so light and comfortable as well as great sounding.
For me it was more about portability and ease of use versus a clunky and heavy headphone.
- Would it be unsmart to sell my Grado PS-500 for IEM Westone 4r?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 51 seconds ago
- › DAC for Aktimate Mini+ powered speakers 2 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › What does science think I should buy in the head fi market? 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 7 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 8 minutes ago
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000MK2 new Pro-DJ headphones 8 minutes ago
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold by Frank I
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Inks
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Hifi Enthusiast
- › Schiit Vali by CEE TEE
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3