Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? - Page 18

post #256 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
 

 

What type of music do you generally play on your M-100s?  What do you think works with it the best?

This is the HP50 thread, so I'll try to keep on topic (I think I can).  Actually, I generally EQ out the recessed mid dip at 434Hz of the M-100 as well as the dip at 6300Hz (boosts at both frequencies).  When you do that, the M-100 becomes very neutral-sounding.  When I first did it, I listened to a classical music album and was quite satisfied.  But my tastes tend to lean towards jazz as my username suggests.  I still EQ there, too.  

 

I'm thinking I don't need the HP50 if I have some EQ handy for my M-100.  I still may try to give them a listen though.  Maybe an Apple Store near me has the HP50 and the P7 so I can audition.  

post #257 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post
 

This is the HP50 thread, so I'll try to keep on topic (I think I can).  Actually, I generally EQ out the recessed mid dip at 434Hz of the M-100 as well as the dip at 6300Hz (boosts at both frequencies).  When you do that, the M-100 becomes very neutral-sounding.  When I first did it, I listened to a classical music album and was quite satisfied.  But my tastes tend to lean towards jazz as my username suggests.  I still EQ there, too.  

 

I'm thinking I don't need the HP50 if I have some EQ handy for my M-100.  I still may try to give them a listen though.  Maybe an Apple Store near me has the HP50 and the P7 so I can audition.  

 

What DAC/Amp do you use with it?

 

I've been looking for a local place to audition the HP50 as well, not knowing Apple stores carried these.  I just called my local Apple Store and they don't have NAD's in their system.  Is this regional?

post #258 of 1282
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
 

 

Here's the next question then - is there room for both?  Seems losing a bit of the mids is having a more impact than I imagined.  And this is just the SQ.  I'm also starting to feel the "clamping" effects that everyone's talking about, which is making the sound feel/sound claustrophobic, for lack of a better word.

The XL pads will solve your comfort issue with the M-100 and may help with the mids.  I personally don't see a need to own both.

post #259 of 1282

Either (1) an iPod Video 5th gen paired with a FiiO E12 or (2) an iPod Touch paired with the Centrance Hi-Fi M8.  

 

Actually, the Apple store might not have the HP50 worldwide.  mcook1970 said he got his there, and he is in the UK based off of his location. I"m in the U.S., so I'm not sure where the HP50 is.  I did check my "official" NAD retailer and he tried to tell me that the PSB M4U1 had the same sound (obviously not a Head-Fi'er!) 

post #260 of 1282
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
 

 

What DAC/Amp do you use with it?

 

I've been looking for a local place to audition the HP50 as well, not knowing Apple stores carried these.  I just called my local Apple Store and they don't have NAD's in their system.  Is this regional?

It's not regional, but NAD is typically sold at higher-end A/V stores and, of course, online.

post #261 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post
 

The XL pads will solve your comfort issue with the M-100 and may help with the mids.  I personally don't see a need to own both.

 

Thanks, I might try that route.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post
 

Either (1) an iPod Video 5th gen paired with a FiiO E12 or (2) an iPod Touch paired with the Centrance Hi-Fi M8.  

 

Actually, the Apple store might not have the HP50 worldwide.  mcook1970 said he got his there, and he is in the UK based off of his location. I"m in the U.S., so I'm not sure where the HP50 is.  I did check my "official" NAD retailer and he tried to tell me that the PSB M4U1 had the same sound (obviously not a Head-Fi'er!) 

 

Thanks for the info - have a 5th generation Touch and am looking at the E07K.

 

Ah, didn't notice he was in the UK.  No wonder the two stores I called were giving me bad looks (I can tell thru the phone :)).  They did have the P7 though.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post
 

It's not regional, but NAD is typically sold at higher-end A/V stores and, of course, online.

 

I called a local Listen Up store, since they're listed as an official NAD retailer, but they don't have them in.  They said they might get some in the next few weeks.  Just want to get quick demo before deciding to purchase one.

post #262 of 1282

Has anyone tested the NAD hp50s with the PSB m4u1 and m4u 2? I think the first post gave some comparisons, but I would like to see views of others too.

 

I know it's by the same Paul B., but since both m4u 1 and hp50s are priced at $299, I was hoping to gauge which would be a better buy in terms of sound quality and build quality.

 

I am more interested in the m4u 1s since it seems that some people hear hissing noises from the m4u 2s when the amp or NC is turned on. I think I'd rather save $100 and invest in qc15 later if I really need NC, which I doubt I would.

 

I like how the NAD hp50s were tuned, so I'm guessing that the m4u 1 is similar. I've heard that there are headband issues with PSB m4us, but for me, the NAD visa hp50s earcups seem rather fragile. In a previous post, I mentioned that it was possible to mute just the left ear with a push for the NAD hp50s, and that was a great concern for me. It could just be my pair that has this issue, but it really bothers me. 


Edited by jeffbear7 - 11/12/13 at 7:53am
post #263 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post
 

Take the M-100, give them more comfortable stock pads (or XL pads), tone down the bass and make the mids a touch more forward and you have the HP50.

 

Man, this sentence was exactly the one I wanted to listen (read)... Been searching for a decent closed back for a while after I sold my M-100. I think I'm sold on these ones.

post #264 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post(in the Alpha Dog thread)
In the $300 range, definitely the NAD HP50.  Tonally similar to the Alpha Dogs and a more prominent low end, just lacking in resolution and detail retrieval by comparison.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post
Take the M-100, give them more comfortable stock pads (or XL pads), tone down the bass and make the mids a touch more forward and you have the HP50.

 

Those posts of yours seem to be conflicting - the top one referring to the Alpha Dog makes me want to buy them, because I've heard the Alpha Dog and think it's very good, but the lower one referring to the M-100 doesn't make me want to buy them, because I previously owned the M-100 and thought it was sub-par. The Alpha Dog comparison aside, the fact you compared it to the M-100 at all is somewhat perturbing to me, because I wouldn't want a headphone that had any sonic similarities to the M-100. Is the HP50 really that close to the M-100? If you think so, that just persuades me to not buy one, unfortunately.

post #265 of 1282

I'm considering trying a pair of these due to the Inner Fidelity review and my positive experiences with PSB speakers in the past, but so far every closed headphone I've tried (Creative Aurvana Live, Bose AE2, Noontec Zoro, ATH-M50, etc) has disappointed me in one way or another. (I admittedly haven't tried closed phones in this high a price range, though.) They all seem to have some flaw, usually some type of tin-can or boxy sort of sound, like I can hear the ear cups resonating. None of them has had the openness (for lack of a better term) and clarity of a half-decent pair of open phones. The open phones just sound way more natural and real.

 

Everyone's comparing these to other closed phones, but how do they compare to open phones, in terms of clarity, openness, etc? My experience is mostly with Sennheisers: HD555, HD595 and HD580.

post #266 of 1282
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
 

 

 

Those posts of yours seem to be conflicting - the top one referring to the Alpha Dog makes me want to buy them, because I've heard the Alpha Dog and think it's very good, but the lower one referring to the M-100 doesn't make me want to buy them, because I previously owned the M-100 and thought it was sub-par. The Alpha Dog comparison aside, the fact you compared it to the M-100 at all is somewhat perturbing to me, because I wouldn't want a headphone that had any sonic similarities to the M-100. Is the HP50 really that close to the M-100? If you think so, that just persuades me to not buy one, unfortunately.

I may have been over-simplifying with my comparison, but just wanted to paint a general picture.  When comparing the M-100 to the HP50 and listening to vocals in particular, I perceive a very similar tone in male and female voices, just more forward on the HP50.  I would give an edge regarding instruments to the HP50.  Also, the more controlled bass of the HP50 does clear up the mids. I listen to the M-100 through their amp which was tuned for the M-100 which probably enhances the listening experience from them compared to a smartphone, for example.  Additionally, I have switched to the XL pads which have improved the M-100 sonically along with comfort.  The other area of similarity between the M-100 and HP50 is that the highs are extended, yet smooth and non-fatiguing.  In terms of resolution/detail retrieval, I would rate M-100 as the lowest of the three, followed by the HP50 and then a big jump up for the Alpha Dogs.  It seems that several seasoned Head-fiers prefer the P7 (which I consider too bright), so maybe the HP50 wouldn't match your preferences, but they are worth a listen.

 

One last thought, the M-100 is really ideal for EDM, pop, hip hop, etc.  The HP50 and Alpha Dogs perform well with just about every genre.


Edited by Craigster75 - 11/13/13 at 6:13am
post #267 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
 

 

 

Those posts of yours seem to be conflicting - the top one referring to the Alpha Dog makes me want to buy them, because I've heard the Alpha Dog and think it's very good, but the lower one referring to the M-100 doesn't make me want to buy them, because I previously owned the M-100 and thought it was sub-par. The Alpha Dog comparison aside, the fact you compared it to the M-100 at all is somewhat perturbing to me, because I wouldn't want a headphone that had any sonic similarities to the M-100. Is the HP50 really that close to the M-100? If you think so, that just persuades me to not buy one, unfortunately.

 

I didn't think they were that conflicting. To me they made sense inside their simplistic explanation, although that comparison with the alpha dogs looks really really optimistic considering they are seen as the best bang for the back right now at the level of headphones around $1500-2000. But if they are slightly near to them, eih, much better. 

post #268 of 1282

I didn't find anything about these therefore I thought I should ask: Just out of curiosity, did anybody try swapping velour pads on these?

post #269 of 1282

Tempted to buy this but funds are a little tight: Demo Red HP50 for $263 from AudioAdvisor: http://www.audioadvisor.com/NAD-VISO-HP-50-Over-Ear-Headphones/productinfo/1NAVIHP50/#.UoPBP_nih2B

post #270 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post
 

Tempted to buy this but funds are a little tight: Demo Red HP50 for $263 from AudioAdvisor: http://www.audioadvisor.com/NAD-VISO-HP-50-Over-Ear-Headphones/productinfo/1NAVIHP50/#.UoPBP_nih2B

 

My OCDness won't let me buy these. :)

 

Any price drop for some new ones, I'm in though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?