or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? - Page 123

post #1831 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Y View Post
 

Lol. Finally a fellow Dire Straits fan?!?

 

Just got into their music, and I'm liking it :)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
 

So far, I have one big gripe with the HP50, and that's that the cable makes a godawful racket at the slightest movement against fabric. I'm surprised I haven't seen more complaints about this. I myself didn't notice it when I tried it out the first time around several months ago but I guess that was in the summer and I was probably wearing a t-shirt, but now I'm wearing a sweatshirt and the cable rubs against the hood.

 

Ditto on the cable, snags alot to your shirt making cable noise.  Here's mine that got snagged and lost its button plates:

 

post #1832 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsonis View Post

How is the subbass compared to the FSP? I'm speaking about the kickbass/weight/body from a deep kick?


I got the FSP. Had enough time to compare them in the studio (threated room/drc/genelecs..) and also measured them. There is bass but nearly no subbass. In conclusion they sound so bright. I thought I may have a bad seal and I am unlucky that they don't seal with my head. But they also measure like that. While most of my hp measurements compare quiete accurate with that on innerfidelity. On the FSP they don't. The +5db Bassthumb is missing and they got way to much treble. Can post it later. In comparsion to the MDR7520 and my Paradox/MadDog hybrid Fostex Mod. They sound like a IEM/earbud with no seal.


I'm getting the idea that my one is faulty. Thats why I want to try the NAD next.

So had anyone a chance to compare them and listen to more bass focused music like house/trap/hiphop and could give me a quick opinion?
The hp50 sub bass sounds quite similar to my ears, its not especially prominent but you can hear it if its there, the hp50 also seems to have a bit more mid bass to my ears. For hip hop and edm i found the overall bass borderline, for some tracks it was enough and for others i had to eq it up a touch.
If you want a good all rounder the hp50 does a better job than the fsp imo.
post #1833 of 2866

These do seem much more rugged build than the PSBs, which is welcomed along with the PSB's sq, but stylistically...I fear it might provoke a visitation from the Doctor himself! :-)

 

http://sandalsandsocks.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/cyberman2.jpg

post #1834 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsonis View Post
 

How is the subbass compared to the FSP? I'm speaking about the kickbass/weight/body from a deep kick?


I got the FSP. Had enough time to compare them in the studio (threated room/drc/genelecs..) and also measured them. There is bass but nearly no subbass. In conclusion they sound so bright. I thought I may have a bad seal and I am unlucky that they don't seal with my head. But they also measure like that. While most of my hp measurements compare quiete accurate with that on innerfidelity. On the FSP they don't. The +5db Bassthumb is missing and they got way to much treble. Can post it later. In comparsion to the MDR7520 and my Paradox/MadDog hybrid Fostex Mod. They sound like a IEM/earbud with no seal.


I'm getting the idea that my one is faulty. Thats why I want to try the NAD next.
So had anyone a chance to compare them and listen to more bass focused music like house/trap/hiphop and could give me a quick opinion?

I'm not familiar with the FSP, but I love the bass on these. Stock it seems fairly balanced, but takes very well to EQ. 90% of the time I'm good with the bass as is, but if I want some extra it's easily accomplished and sounds great. The impact is great, speed is great, nice weight and body, extension is very deep, but I wouldn't exactly say they rumble. This is certainly not a basshead can though, if that's what you are looking for. I mostly listen to rock though, so I don't spend a lot of time listening to those styles.

post #1835 of 2866
Haven't heard the FSP, but compared to my HE-400 and LCD-2.2, which are prolly among the best on sub-bass to bass capability, my NAD never is lacking in the sub-bass. In fact, I prefer my NAD now over the two. I think the NAD is the best in terms of not having any weakness in SQ in all frequencies. You could find a weakness in every phone, but the NAD, you'll be hard pressed to identify one. The only weakness I could find is it becomes warm (therefore not neutral anymore) when used on my desktop gears.
post #1836 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Y View Post

It's probably because it's not made for high gain amplification (the "warmer" sound). Diamondears, just because I know you're very active on this thread and the fact that you do love your NADs, you have got to have a listen to it out of a AK240. It's just a killer, that combination.
Yes. It has a Made For iPhone label, and it stands by that claim.

AK240 is on my radar for quite a while now. But ended up buying new iPhone and new HPs. $2,000 is quite steep for a DAP. Just waiting to get bored with current setup, once that day comes, maybe AK240. But the iPhone is quite amazing already, so that day is maybe still far ahead. When I use the iPhone with Onkyo HD Player app with the iFi nano iDSD, I couldn't imagine buying the AK240. The iFi has DSD capability too. With iPhone now having 128 gig version, I couldn't imagine the need for the AK240.

Do you have the iPhone 6 or 6+? Care to provide detailed comparison with AK240 using the NAD (to get it in topic..smily_headphones1.gif).
post #1837 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondears View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schopenhauer View Post

I apologize if this has already been dealt with, but I'm a bit late to the party. Anyone want to share on the HP50's scaling capacity? I'm zeroing in on it as a new transportable. I would certainly prefer, however, to be able to use it with some of my desktop gear.
What do you mean "scaling capacity"?

I find the NAD best on a portable (iPhone 6 and Onkyo HD Player app) and Mac. On a separate amp, it sounds noticeably warm.

I mean does HP50 work on separate amps of varying quality. If the headphone is noticeably warm when driven by a separate amp, that makes me think it's being overpowered. However, Tyll claims in his "review"/interview with Barton that he uses the HP50 to evaluate gear, which would lead me to think it isn't fuzzied up by separate amps. 

post #1838 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schopenhauer View Post

I mean does HP50 work on separate amps of varying quality. If the headphone is noticeably warm when driven by a separate amp, that makes me think it's being overpowered. However, Tyll claims in his "review"/interview with Barton that he uses the HP50 to evaluate gear, which would lead me to think it isn't fuzzied up by separate amps. 
It doesn't get fuzzied up, but becomes warm COMPARED to iPhone 6 with Onkyo HD Player app. It just tilts the bass-treble balance a bit.

I could understand it being used by Tyll to evaluate gears, because it's very transparent and realistic sounding, with real=sound from speakers. You could tell which frequency changes when you change gears. I think the change you'd hear when you change gear is coming from the changed gear, not lack of scalability of the NAD. IMHO.
post #1839 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondears View Post


Yes. It has a Made For iPhone label, and it stands by that claim.

AK240 is on my radar for quite a while now. But ended up buying new iPhone and new HPs. $2,000 is quite steep for a DAP. Just waiting to get bored with current setup, once that day comes, maybe AK240. But the iPhone is quite amazing already, so that day is maybe still far ahead. When I use the iPhone with Onkyo HD Player app with the iFi nano iDSD, I couldn't imagine buying the AK240. The iFi has DSD capability too. With iPhone now having 128 gig version, I couldn't imagine the need for the AK240.

Do you have the iPhone 6 or 6+? Care to provide detailed comparison with AK240 using the NAD (to get it in topic..smily_headphones1.gif).

My friend has a 6+ and as for myself, a Note 4. What I am planning to do is get the Chord Hugo (I did want to get the AK240 but decided against it). Errr.... (coughs) I can't really put more detail into describing the AK240 plus NAD combination because it's just so... perfect? lol. anyway, you should give it a shot if you've got the chance for it.

 

I imagine that if I get my Hugo (which would happen in a couple months or so), the NAD would sound awesome with it! (but I plan to use the Hugo mostly with the HD650)

Anyway, some things I'm wondering about Paul Barton's next headphone are, is it open-backed? is it low-ohmed? will it be portable? will it be affordable (I wish less than $500) ? Will it be better than the HP50? How the heck is the sound going to improve if it's going to be a closed back?

post #1840 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Y View Post

My friend has a 6+ and as for myself, a Note 4. What I am planning to do is get the Chord Hugo (I did want to get the AK240 but decided against it). Errr.... (coughs) I can't really put more detail into describing the AK240 plus NAD combination because it's just so... perfect? lol. anyway, you should give it a shot if you've got the chance for it.

I imagine that if I get my Hugo (which would happen in a couple months or so), the NAD would sound awesome with it! (but I plan to use the Hugo mostly with the HD650)
Anyway, some things I'm wondering about Paul Barton's next headphone are, is it open-backed? is it low-ohmed? will it be portable? will it be affordable (I wish less than $500) ? Will it be better than the HP50? How the heck is the sound going to improve if it's going to be a closed back?
Remember that Paul Barton came from the speakers industry, and speakers don't have open backs, they're always sealed, so I don't think being closed back would be a limiting factor...lol. He knows how to tune speakers with the speaker cones off-axis or on-axis, etc. Look at the drivers of the NAD, it's a mini-speaker, literally.
post #1841 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondears View Post

Haven't heard the FSP, but compared to my HE-400 and LCD-2.2, which are prolly among the best on sub-bass to bass capability, my NAD never is lacking in the sub-bass. In fact, I prefer my NAD now over the two. I think the NAD is the best in terms of not having any weakness in SQ in all frequencies. You could find a weakness in every phone, but the NAD, you'll be hard pressed to identify one. The only weakness I could find is it becomes warm (therefore not neutral anymore) when used on my desktop gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladeophile View Post

I'm not familiar with the FSP, but I love the bass on these. Stock it seems fairly balanced, but takes very well to EQ. 90% of the time I'm good with the bass as is, but if I want some extra it's easily accomplished and sounds great. The impact is great, speed is great, nice weight and body, extension is very deep, but I wouldn't exactly say they rumble. This is certainly not a basshead can though, if that's what you are looking for. I mostly listen to rock though, so I don't spend a lot of time listening to those styles.

Thanks. Sounds really promising. I pulled the trigger yesterday on the NADS. Should get them tommorrow. At the moment I have the FSP and the 7520 to direct compare them.
Good to hear that they can compete in extension with orthos.
Not looking for rumble and I'm not a basshead. Just looking into the ideal neutral mixing/enjoying tool (an a further reference for my fostex mod as they are the most compfy cans I ever had on my head with Alpha Pads). Which my FSP definitly is NOT. I compared them in the studio with my monitors and they need about +4db lowshelf under 90hz to sound balanced. Also a tame at 10khz. Sounds like the FSP has way to fast decay and cuts the sinewaves away to quick. After that I measured them. Its was the shape that they should have regarding innerfidelty measurements. So I think they must be faulty as they also measure that weird. Or its a seal problem with my head/measurement rig. Dunno. I go to my local music store and compare them to an other FSP. Unfortunetly they aint' got the NAD which I found is pretty hard to find in the local stores here. Anyway I make so comparsion with NADs and FSPs next days.
post #1842 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondears View Post


Remember that Paul Barton came from the speakers industry, and speakers don't have open backs, they're always sealed, so I don't think being closed back would be a limiting factor...lol. He knows how to tune speakers with the speaker cones off-axis or on-axis, etc. Look at the drivers of the NAD, it's a mini-speaker, literally.

Yea... I see what you're saying but with headphones, there's that openback airy soundstage that closed backs just simply cannot compete with, hence the reason why I usually use my 650s at home.

I mean the NAD does excel along with other closed backs like the TH900 at soundstaging and being airy but still, there's that open-backed factor that makes me curious how a open-back from Paul Barton may sound like. I haven't got any problems with the closed back but I'm just curious... let's just wait for the TOTL then... they can SHUT UP AND TAKE MAH MONEYYY

post #1843 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Y View Post

Yea... I see what you're saying but with headphones, there's that openback airy soundstage that closed backs just simply cannot compete with, hence the reason why I usually use my 650s at home.
I mean the NAD does excel along with other closed backs like the TH900 at soundstaging and being airy but still, there's that open-backed factor that makes me curious how a open-back from Paul Barton may sound like. I haven't got any problems with the closed back but I'm just curious... let's just wait for the TOTL then... they can SHUT UP AND TAKE MAH MONEYYY
Never found any advantage of open backed HE-400 and LCD-2.2 over the NAD. The soundstage and instrument separation are immense with the NAD. That RoomFeel definitely took care of it especially the "airy" part.
post #1844 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondears View Post


Remember that Paul Barton came from the speakers industry, and speakers don't have open backs, they're always sealed, so I don't think being closed back would be a limiting factor...lol. He knows how to tune speakers with the speaker cones off-axis or on-axis, etc. Look at the drivers of the NAD, it's a mini-speaker, literally.

 

Think of an open headphone as a speaker with no room acoustics to deal with, whereas a closed headphone is a speaker with some kind of room to deal with.  Generally, that's the advantage of an open headphone, is that it doesn't have to deal with the acoustic reactions of a closed-shell, so it's free of any possible colorations that might occur there (general closed headphones have a unanimous coloration of having an upper bass hump, low mid suckout, and upper mid hump, which can cause shoutiness and unrealistic cold timbre.)

post #1845 of 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

Think of an open headphone as a speaker with no room acoustics to deal with, whereas a closed headphone is a speaker with some kind of room to deal with.  Generally, that's the advantage of an open headphone, is that it doesn't have to deal with the acoustic reactions of a closed-shell, so it's free of any possible colorations that might occur there (general closed headphones have a unanimous coloration of having an upper bass hump, low mid suckout, and upper mid hump, which can cause shoutiness and unrealistic cold timbre.)
NAD drivers emit sound in just one direction--towards ears. So no acoustic reactions and bouncing frequencies to take care of as in the case of other drivers. Looking at Tyll's pictures of a stripped down HP50, the NAD drivers are like mini speakers the size exactly of the back metal plate with magnets circling the metal plate.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?