Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? - Page 89

post #1321 of 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by chailee80 View Post
The hardest thing will be deciding which to keep, these HP50s or my Spirit Pros.

 

Thats difficult indeed. Currently considering selling my FSP... I'd prefer its sound signature ever so slightly, but comfort is a major point for the HP50...

post #1322 of 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by plakat View Post

Thats difficult indeed. Currently considering selling my FSP... I'd prefer its sound signature ever so slightly, but comfort is a major point for the HP50...
Yeah I really like them both so it's a tough decision although I'm finding the hp50s may not be as comfortable in the long run as I thought. I have a big head and have the ear cups fully extended and it barely fits over the bottom of my ears and as a result there's a fair bit of pressure placed on my head by the headband. Extended listening periods leave me with a bit of a sore spot across the top of my head. Not sure if I should risk bending the headband more.
post #1323 of 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by chailee80 View Post


Yeah I really like them both so it's a tough decision although I'm finding the hp50s may not be as comfortable in the long run as I thought. I have a big head and have the ear cups fully extended and it barely fits over the bottom of my ears and as a result there's a fair bit of pressure placed on my head by the headband. Extended listening periods leave me with a bit of a sore spot across the top of my head. Not sure if I should risk bending the headband more.


I would only risk it if the HP50 was the clear winner as once you bend it, it will be hard to sell the NAD if it doesn't bend back into shape again.

post #1324 of 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 


I would only risk it if the HP50 was the clear winner as once you bend it, it will be hard to sell the NAD if it doesn't bend back into shape again.


Had a go at trying to bend the top portion of the headband but its fairly stiff and seems like it would require a fair amount of force to get it to bend to a point where it would change shape. I'm worried about possibly damaging the cable that runs through the headband so I won't attempt that at the moment. Its a long shot but i might stretch the headband a bit to see if reduced clamping pressure helps out at all.

I definitely would hate to get rid of it, i dont know how it does it but the way it presents the vocals instruments and soundstage is simply amazing and for the moment has retired most of my other headphones.


Edited by chailee80 - 8/1/14 at 7:30pm
post #1325 of 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by chailee80 View Post
 


Had a go at trying to bend the top portion of the headband but its fairly stiff and seems like it would require a fair amount of force to get it to bend to a point where it would change shape. I'm worried about possibly damaging the cable that runs through the headband so I won't attempt that at the moment. Its a long shot but i might stretch the headband a bit to see if reduced clamping pressure helps out at all.

I definitely would hate to get rid of it, i dont know how it does it but the way it presents the vocals instruments and soundstage is simply amazing and for the moment has retired most of my other headphones.


I hear you brother, makes for a very difficult decision. Hopefully the pain of wear eases up for you.

post #1326 of 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by chailee80 View Post


Yeah I really like them both so it's a tough decision although I'm finding the hp50s may not be as comfortable in the long run as I thought. I have a big head and have the ear cups fully extended and it barely fits over the bottom of my ears and as a result there's a fair bit of pressure placed on my head by the headband. Extended listening periods leave me with a bit of a sore spot across the top of my head. Not sure if I should risk bending the headband more.


I hear you brother.  It is a shame that companies don't consider those of us with exceptional head size.  Don't they realize the advantages of having us as customers?

 

Seriously, the internet has given us more selection, but doesn't help us find a good fit.  I wish I could find a store nearby where I could try a range of headphones for fit, but those rare at best.  In the meantime, the postage on returning product that doesn't fit is getting expensive.

post #1327 of 1678

Ok so I tried to open up the cups...

 

 

 

...and I can't see any screws to get into the inner compartment. I tried using a thin screwdriver and my fingernails to pry along the seams, but nothing seemed to budge. Has anyone else gotten in there? Does it just take more force?

post #1328 of 1678

Just received my flat audio cables from Monoprice and I found them really sturdy and good looking for the price. 

 

These are excellent replacements for HP50's original cable. 

post #1329 of 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

Ok so I tried to open up the cups...

 

 

 

...and I can't see any screws to get into the inner compartment. I tried using a thin screwdriver and my fingernails to pry along the seams, but nothing seemed to budge. Has anyone else gotten in there? Does it just take more force?

Tyll has  a picture of a dissected pair:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50page-2

post #1330 of 1678

Stop torturing innocent HP50s!

post #1331 of 1678

Even after looking at Tyll's pictures, I can't seem to open mine up. I wonder if they're glued down somehow. There's one screw on the left side which is stripped, so I can't open that side anyways. Oh well, that's moot now anyhow since I found that my 3.5mm plugs are too big to fit in the jack.

post #1332 of 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

Ok so I tried to open up the cups...

 

...and I can't see any screws to get into the inner compartment. I tried using a thin screwdriver and my fingernails to pry along the seams, but nothing seemed to budge. Has anyone else gotten in there? Does it just take more force?

Yes, just use a lot more force.  Hammer, etc. if needed.  Remember Thud's First Law:  If you push something hard enough, it will fall over.

post #1333 of 1678

Well I decided I would just go the hardwire route, so out of frustration I just clamped the thing down and took a dremel along the seams to try and cut it open.

 

It was really soft; I didn't know the plastic would met like that. It... it wasn't pretty.

 

gruesome pictures (Click to show)
Nah, just kidding. :tongue:
post #1334 of 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

Well I decided I would just go the hardwire route, so out of frustration I just clamped the thing down and took a dremel along the seams to try and cut it open.

 

It was really soft; I didn't know the plastic would met like that. It... it wasn't pretty.

 

gruesome pictures (Click to show)
Nah, just kidding. :tongue:

My heart stopped for a second, poor little HP50 !

post #1335 of 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanhill View Post
 


I hear you brother.  It is a shame that companies don't consider those of us with exceptional head size.  Don't they realize the advantages of having us as customers?

 

Seriously, the internet has given us more selection, but doesn't help us find a good fit.  I wish I could find a store nearby where I could try a range of headphones for fit, but those rare at best.  In the meantime, the postage on returning product that doesn't fit is getting expensive.

 

I don't even have a large head and I've found headband design to be one of the biggest failings with a lot of otherwise extremely good headphones. It's like most companies are allergic to anything more than paper thin foam padding or headbands with reasonably sized contact areas.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?