Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? - Page 75

post #1111 of 1403

Tackled the ridiculously short cable situation today. Just ordered from Blue Jeans cable a 12 foot cable for $51. These are good enough headphones for more than portable application (in fact they really aren't that portable, too hot as well now that it is hot here). Just thought I would mention that in case others would like to d the same.

post #1112 of 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 

Tackled the ridiculously short cable situation today. Just ordered from Blue Jeans cable a 12 foot cable for $51. These are good enough headphones for more than portable application (in fact they really aren't that portable, too hot as well now that it is hot here). Just thought I would mention that in case others would like to d the same.

 

I did that about a year ago and found unfortunately that the termination fittings (I think they're by Canare)

were very large and just made the entire cable very unwieldy.  (BTW, I'm a fan of BJC in general and have

been for years).  

 

Perhaps they're handling the mini-to-mini differently now.

post #1113 of 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 

 

I did that about a year ago and found unfortunately that the termination fittings (I think they're by Canare)

were very large and just made the entire cable very unwieldy.  (BTW, I'm a fan of BJC in general and have

been for years).  

 

Perhaps they're handling the mini-to-mini differently now.

 

When you say unwieldy, do you mean they were unusable, or just difficult to use? As long as the terminations fit where they need to fit as I will be sitting down I hope the cable will work. Thanks for sharing.

post #1114 of 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 

 

When you say unwieldy, do you mean they were unusable, or just difficult to use? As long as the terminations fit where they need to fit as I will be sitting down I hope the cable will work. Thanks for sharing.

 

 

EDIT: See post #1122 by Bixby in this thread.

 


They weren't unusable because they did terminate in a 3.5mm mini plug (at both ends, in the particular cable I ordered from them).

But, the cable was thick, pretty heavy, and not very flexible. 

 

 

IMO & IME there are much better options for you, for this particular purpose:

 

1. Redco Audio

http://www.redco.com/Custom-Cable.html

I'd phone rather than order online from them; they have a huge array of choices

and cater to studios and sound professionals.  They'll make you a custom cable

in about a week.  The quality and service are stellar.

 

2. Event Horizon

https://eventhorizon-srv.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27_151&products_id=3079

They have pre-cut Mogami cable with gold terminations.

For this application, they use the slimmest, most flexible cable from Mogami and it sounds very good indeed.

 

 

3. RAM Electronics

http://www.ramelectronics.net/Custom-Audio-Video-Cables.aspx

They also use Mogami.  Nicely made, slim cable.

 

 

(BTW, BJC takes "no hassle" returns on unused cable.)

 

 

There are other options as well, of course.

But these three are fast, professional, and reliable >

and use very high quality cable and associated materials.


Edited by zazex - 6/8/14 at 6:25pm
post #1115 of 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post
 


They weren't unusable because they did terminate in a 3.5mm mini plug (at both ends, in the particular cable I ordered from them).

But, the cable was thick, pretty heavy, and not very flexible. 

 

 

IMO & IME there are much better options for you, for this particular purpose:

 

1. Redco Audio

http://www.redco.com/Custom-Cable.html

I'd phone rather than order online from them; they have a huge array of choices

and cater to studios and sound professionals.  They'll make you a custom cable

in about a week.  The quality and service are stellar.

 

2. Event Horizon

https://eventhorizon-srv.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27_151&products_id=3079

They have pre-cut Mogami cable with gold terminations.

For this application, they use the slimmest, most flexible cable from Mogami and it sounds very good indeed.

 

 

3. RAM Electronics

http://www.ramelectronics.net/Custom-Audio-Video-Cables.aspx

They also use Mogami.  Nicely made, slim cable.

 

 

(BTW, BJC takes "no hassle" returns on unused cable.)

 

 

There are other options as well, of course.

But these three are fast, professional, and reliable >

and use very high quality cable and associated materials.

 

Wow, all I can say is wow. Super helpful and very appreciated. There is nothing better than getting tips on well vetted sources for situations like this. I will try this for sure. Cheers.

post #1116 of 1403

Just a follow-up question, should I expect pricing with these options to be similar to the BJC, or are these options going to be significantly more expensive? Cheers.

post #1117 of 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 

Just a follow-up question, should I expect pricing with these options to be similar to the BJC, or are these options going to be significantly more expensive? Cheers.


Very similar.

post #1118 of 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 

 

Wow, all I can say is wow. Super helpful and very appreciated. There is nothing better than getting tips on well vetted sources for situations like this. I will try this for sure. Cheers.

 

You're very welcome; I think it's part of what Head-Fi is about.

 

Cheers to you as well.


Edited by zazex - 6/8/14 at 12:04am
post #1119 of 1403

Yes indeed it is what head-fi is all about (not to mention keeping me poor). I have just now cancelled my Blue Jean order and submitted an order with Event Horizon who are also much closer to me geographically which should help with shipping time. Thank you again and I will be sure to update this thread once I have the cable. Cheers.

post #1120 of 1403
These would have worked just as well: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021812&p_id=5579&format=2
post #1121 of 1403


Really?

This is what Monoprice says about them:

"Because of their size and weight these cables are best suited for more permanent connections, such as from your PC to your sound system. Also, because of the size of the connector head, these are unsuited for use with phone cases and may not fit within the expansion slot cutouts on the back of a PC case. If you want something more suitable for these applications, please try one of our standard 3.5mm audio cables."

post #1122 of 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 

 

Wow, all I can say is wow. Super helpful and very appreciated. There is nothing better than getting tips on well vetted sources for situations like this. I will try this for sure. Cheers.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post
 

Yes indeed it is what head-fi is all about (not to mention keeping me poor). I have just now cancelled my Blue Jean order and submitted an order with Event Horizon who are also much closer to me geographically which should help with shipping time. Thank you again and I will be sure to update this thread once I have the cable. Cheers.

You might want to search this thread for some helpful tips:  I thought I could use a standard 3.5 mm neutrik plug on a well made cable with the HP-50 but it did not work.  And that was from event horizon.  I ended up using an extetnsion cable with the original NAD cable.

 

Post #738  Click on the picture to see the problem.   Post #816   Post #925  

 

Actually I only know of two cables that will work with the NAD HP-50 that have been posted.  see this post to start  click


Edited by bixby - 6/8/14 at 3:05pm
post #1123 of 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby View Post
 

 

 

You might want to search this thread for some helpful tips:  I thought I could use a standard 3.5 mm neutrik plug on a well made cable with the HP-50 but it did not work.  And that was from event horizon.  I ended up using an extetnsion cable with the original NAD cable.

 

Post #738  Click on the picture to see the problem.   Post #816   Post #925  

 

Actually I only know of two cables that will work with the NAD HP-50 that have been posted.  see this post to start  click

 

Wow, this is really a very helpful post for those who want to change the cable in their HP50's.

It's sort of a shame that it wil be "buried" here in this thread - along with the other few posts you referenced.

post #1124 of 1403

Novice question:  Can I just use a coupler to join the two cables that came with the headphones?

 

Sumthin' like this:  http://cellphoneshop.com/yswimages/35coupler.jpg

post #1125 of 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by FangsNTail View Post
 

Novice question:  Can I just use a coupler to join the two cables that came with the headphones?

 

Sumthin' like this:  http://cellphoneshop.com/yswimages/35coupler.jpg

 

I don't see why not. Give it a shot.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?