Keep in mind the ST is slightly better than the STX, and it's a good match with the 650. It won't put special magic sauce into the 650 like an amp with tubes will though. But that can be added later of course.
- productASUS Xonar Essence Onetagged by System, 3/1/13
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 1/21/13
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- DAC/Amp for HD650 Last post on 11/6/11 at 2:33pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best soundcard Last post on 11/3/12 at 8:37am in Computer Audio
- First audio rig, need some help. Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:06pm in Computer Audio
- Headphones + amp/dac for a basshead Last post on 8/19/12 at 7:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Asus Xonar Essence ST enough to drive Audeze LCD-2? Last post on 8/15/12 at 1:05pm in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 11/28/14
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
I just bought this headphone and it sound amazing, I did a burn in for about 20hr and the sound improve dramatically compared when the headphone was in the box. The comfort is phenomenal and due to...
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
The Audeze LCD 2.2 is one of the most popular headphones on Head-Fi. Much has already been written about them, so adding yet another review may not offer anything new or different. However, when...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Is the Asus Xonar Essence STX and Sennheiser HD650 a good combo? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
That jitter thingy rumor is bs . No way your ear would be able to tell the difference.
I rather use a pci-e port.
The STX is just a abuse to the 650's it cannot handle it.
I own both and I am pretty sure that the STX are anything but a volume boost if you will.
Edited by MrTechAgent - 6/22/13 at 2:42am
There's no difference if you play with the different output settings of xonar stx, doesn't mean there's no amp. Low output impedance & power , it's what you expect from an amp ( beside clean sound) , and the xonar stx offer it.
So what difference do you get from an amp that can "handle it", explain.
When I say handle it I mean not able to get the best out of the 650's.
The STX has pretty much no soundstage and bass unless you eq it ( yeah yeah I wanna listen to music the way it was intended to be ) if you follow that saying with this combo then looks like you just wasted 700$ on equipment which can produce audio your earpods can (Not being literal).
The famous statement "Rolled off on top" stands true with this combination also with other cheap amps which this headphone does not play good with.
I have tested it with the Wa2,Conductor and Linear Black cube and that made be say the above comment because the sound is very forgiving with the STX,
Then you might say - This guy is stupid taking about amps which are like 1000-1500 $ more than the STX then I would also like to say that darkvoice makes an amp called the 336se which I assure you is 10x more musical (Lush mids and bright highs) than the STX.
I am not being harsh but the 650's are not at good all with the STX.
You being a well regarded person on Head-fi I thought might have agreed.
Again its my opinion and I am entitled to it.
The 650 ain't that picky.
The STX is not bad , the opinion of sound is proportional to the money you can spend on a Amp.
As far as the Op-Amps are concerned I really cannot recommend doing that stuff at least if you are using the 650's.
The STX combo does require EQ'ing (I wanna listen to music the way it is intended to be ) that is cliché if you really wanna enjoy music with the 650.
Its gonna be fun for a while but just remember that what you are hearing from the 650's is not the real caliber of the headphone (So take music with a grain of salt)
So after a while do not get mad at either of the two :)
Its totally good enough and drives my mmx 300 600ohm to deafening volume without distortion.
Hey I am sorry , I withdraw my statement about the EQ.
I really don't want someone to have a wrong opinion about the product.
Hope that helps :)
Only if you believe in that sort of thing. With 'that sort of thing' meaning an increased output impedance and some alterations to the amp's frequency response. Because that's all your 'special magical sauce' amounts to.
The STX is excellent and it has no problems driving a HD650. There's simply not a lot an amp can do to make a headphone sound any better than the stx already does. The idea that an amp can do better because there are 500 dollar amps out there is based on intuition and false marketing.
Edited by foreign - 7/6/13 at 3:46pm
A good tube amp should sound like a good ss amp if they are not driven to distortion. Once distortion becomes a factor then, simply put, the ss sound harsh and tubes sound... musical. Up to a point of course where everything becomes crap.
There are many websites / articles on tube vs. ss on the net to google.
That said, tube amps are pretty darn sexy and everyone should have one. In your price range, check out the Woo Audio 3 and 6. I like their design and would choose the black design option over the silver.
- Is the Asus Xonar Essence STX and Sennheiser HD650 a good combo?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › I just failed the Tidal streaming equipment test!!! 29 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 1 minute ago
- › SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.8.0 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Best IEM tips? 3 minutes ago
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by blankdisc
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2