Keep in mind the ST is slightly better than the STX, and it's a good match with the 650. It won't put special magic sauce into the 650 like an amp with tubes will though. But that can be added later of course.
- productASUS Xonar Essence Onetagged by System, 3/1/13
- productASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophilestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 1/21/13
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- DAC/Amp for HD650 Last post on 11/6/11 at 2:33pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Best soundcard Last post on 11/3/12 at 8:37am in Computer Audio
- First audio rig, need some help. Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:06pm in Computer Audio
- Headphones + amp/dac for a basshead Last post on 8/19/12 at 7:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Asus Xonar Essence ST enough to drive Audeze LCD-2? Last post on 8/15/12 at 1:05pm in Computer Audio
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
Is the Asus Xonar Essence STX and Sennheiser HD650 a good combo? - Page 2post #16 of 764/8/13 at 6:40am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 764/8/13 at 6:49amQuote:
That jitter thingy rumor is bs . No way your ear would be able to tell the difference.
I rather use a pci-e port.post #18 of 766/22/13 at 2:40am
The STX is just a abuse to the 650's it cannot handle it.
I own both and I am pretty sure that the STX are anything but a volume boost if you will.
Edited by MrTechAgent - 6/22/13 at 2:42ampost #19 of 766/22/13 at 3:45ampost #20 of 766/22/13 at 6:19amQuote:
There's no difference if you play with the different output settings of xonar stx, doesn't mean there's no amp. Low output impedance & power , it's what you expect from an amp ( beside clean sound) , and the xonar stx offer it.Quote:The STX is just a abuse to the 650's it cannot handle it.
So what difference do you get from an amp that can "handle it", explain.post #21 of 766/22/13 at 6:54am
When I say handle it I mean not able to get the best out of the 650's.
The STX has pretty much no soundstage and bass unless you eq it ( yeah yeah I wanna listen to music the way it was intended to be ) if you follow that saying with this combo then looks like you just wasted 700$ on equipment which can produce audio your earpods can (Not being literal).
The famous statement "Rolled off on top" stands true with this combination also with other cheap amps which this headphone does not play good with.
I have tested it with the Wa2,Conductor and Linear Black cube and that made be say the above comment because the sound is very forgiving with the STX,
Then you might say - This guy is stupid taking about amps which are like 1000-1500 $ more than the STX then I would also like to say that darkvoice makes an amp called the 336se which I assure you is 10x more musical (Lush mids and bright highs) than the STX.
I am not being harsh but the 650's are not at good all with the STX.
You being a well regarded person on Head-fi I thought might have agreed.
Again its my opinion and I am entitled to it.post #22 of 766/29/13 at 5:43pmI'm also buying the hd650 and have an stx, if it doesn't pair well I might buy an external amp however just wondering if anyone has replaced the OP amps on the stx. Was thinking about trying out LE49990 x2. I have seen forums but they don't really go into detail. If its worthwhile pursuing, currently I have a headset pc360 and it is great for gaming. It has nice balance big soundstage. Sense of space and airiness mids are upfront and centre. The reason I'm buying the hd650 is because the pc360 bass is very neutral it lacks punch. For gaming and vocals it does a decent job but any music with a bit of bass it does the song injustice. Ive heard the hd650 is very picky in terms of amplification so I guess replacing the OP amps is a very inexpensive way to go I don't expect miracles and I'm probably going to need an external amp but any advice would be appreciated.post #23 of 766/29/13 at 11:04pm
The 650 ain't that picky.
The STX is not bad , the opinion of sound is proportional to the money you can spend on a Amp.
As far as the Op-Amps are concerned I really cannot recommend doing that stuff at least if you are using the 650's.
The STX combo does require EQ'ing (I wanna listen to music the way it is intended to be ) that is cliché if you really wanna enjoy music with the 650.
Its gonna be fun for a while but just remember that what you are hearing from the 650's is not the real caliber of the headphone (So take music with a grain of salt)
So after a while do not get mad at either of the two :)post #24 of 766/29/13 at 11:51pmpost #25 of 766/30/13 at 7:22amYou can plug your front panel header into the sound card for 3.5mm jack output. I have the st and it sounds nice. I use it with my headphones including the Beyer T5p. I also use it with my stereo.
Its totally good enough and drives my mmx 300 600ohm to deafening volume without distortion.post #26 of 767/4/13 at 2:32amQuote:
Hey I am sorry , I withdraw my statement about the EQ.
I really don't want someone to have a wrong opinion about the product.
Hope that helps :)post #27 of 767/4/13 at 9:49pmIt'spost #28 of 767/5/13 at 6:59amQuote:
Only if you believe in that sort of thing. With 'that sort of thing' meaning an increased output impedance and some alterations to the amp's frequency response. Because that's all your 'special magical sauce' amounts to.
The STX is excellent and it has no problems driving a HD650. There's simply not a lot an amp can do to make a headphone sound any better than the stx already does. The idea that an amp can do better because there are 500 dollar amps out there is based on intuition and false marketing.post #29 of 767/6/13 at 3:44pmJust curious what tube amps would you recommend for say $500ish. I've always wanted to hear the sound they produce and am happy to experiment. Got the hd650 coming any day now would like to see how it will sound paired with a tube amp.
Edited by foreign - 7/6/13 at 3:46pmpost #30 of 767/6/13 at 3:54pmQuote:
A good tube amp should sound like a good ss amp if they are not driven to distortion. Once distortion becomes a factor then, simply put, the ss sound harsh and tubes sound... musical. Up to a point of course where everything becomes crap.
There are many websites / articles on tube vs. ss on the net to google.
That said, tube amps are pretty darn sexy and everyone should have one. In your price range, check out the Woo Audio 3 and 6. I like their design and would choose the black design option over the silver.
- Is the Asus Xonar Essence STX and Sennheiser HD650 a good combo?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Audeze LCD-3 Appreciation Thread 16 seconds ago
- › The Basshead Club 24 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 43 seconds ago
- › Bob Dylan albums - Itunes vs. everything else. 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › Why does headphones FR graph not look neutral like a straight line... 5 minutes ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 7 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 7 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude