Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Closed Can, Wide Sound stage, Good bass response Headphones? UNDER 250
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Closed Can, Wide Sound stage, Good bass response Headphones? UNDER 250 - Page 3

post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post
+1. beerchug.gif
According to the "unofficial owner's guide" (and pictures that Ultrasone made ages ago), they should be worn somewhere between the two extremes you're describing - your ears should be centered in the cups and the headband should be over the top of your head (not at an angle); that produces the best effect IME. I will add that "S-LOGIC Plus" is an improvement IMO (it's basically more holes in the baffle, at least that's what it looks like - I have no idea if you could just get out a drill and MacGyver that onto the 750s (I'm finding inconsistent reports from Ultrasone regarding the 750s having Plus or not, especially between the blue and grey versions, I'm assuming they do not given their age and relationship to the 2500)). But yeah, "sometimes soundstage" would describe them well IME - when playing a videogame with good positional audio, or watching a movie with a good surround mix, it's at times uncanny how well they position things in space. But listening to fairly "flat" music they're relatively ho-hum in staging. They don't artificially widen the material as a lot of other "good soundstage headphones" do (like the K701); yes they're bizarre (it's Ultrasone though).

 

Agreed that S-Logic works different for everyone. I'm thinking its probably because the slightly forward (and low) placement of the driver makes the sound travel "over" the ear which causes individual ear shapes to have more of an effect on the sound.

 

Yeah the documentation on the PRO 750 is fuzzy on whether it has S-Logic Plus. Looking at these pics of the older blue 750 compared to the newer black one (which I have), they seem to have identical holes over the driver so I'm thinking its not S-Logic Plus:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588365/ultrasone-pro-2500-vs-pro-2900/15#post_8031024

 

EDIT: My bad, those pics aren't of the 750s. See below.


Edited by devhen - 1/17/13 at 10:44am
post #32 of 68

Wow, scratch that, those pics are of the PRO 2900 and PRO 2500. My bad. I thought the older PRO 750 was the only blue and grey model. And the black model in those pictures does in fact have additional holes.


Edited by devhen - 1/17/13 at 10:41am
post #33 of 68

FYI, I checked out my black 750s and they do have the 3 additional felt-covered holes. Looks like S-Logic Plus.

post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

Agreed that S-Logic works different for everyone. I'm thinking its probably because the slightly forward (and low) placement of the driver makes the sound travel "over" the ear which causes individual ear shapes to have more of an effect on the sound.

That's the idea anyways - it's that "causes individual ear shapes" bit that I don't think they've cracked yet (I've seen proposals for a four-driver S-LOGIC system, but never seen it built; I'm sure there's DSP control going on in there too).
Quote:
Yeah the documentation on the PRO 750 is fuzzy on whether it has S-Logic Plus. Looking at these pics of the older blue 750 compared to the newer black one (which I have), they seem to have identical holes over the driver so I'm thinking its not S-Logic Plus:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588365/ultrasone-pro-2500-vs-pro-2900/15#post_8031024

That is the PRO2500 and PRO2900 (2900 in black). If your baffle board looks like the 2500 in that series, that's "vanilla" - like I said, at least from the surface it just looks like more holes, but who knows what's under that plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

Wow, scratch that, those pics are of the PRO 2900 and PRO 2500. My bad. I thought the older PRO 750 was the only blue and grey model. And the black model in those pictures does in fact have additional holes.

All of their older PROline models were that garish blue; HFI had even nuttier color combinations. I'm curious though - "black 750s" - I've never heard of such a thing. I know there's the blue/white model (the original), there's a grey/black model (which is what their website shows today (http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/pro-750.html?phpMyAdmin=F%2C10wyDPvdbTSUKb0bFsP82LYqa&phpMyAdmin=-bRZSviO4b0rfbpf62n-9Lwy159)), but my understanding is that only the 2900 and 900 are black. Oh to try and make sense of Ultrasone...ph34r.gif
Edited by obobskivich - 1/17/13 at 10:49am
post #35 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

I'm curious though - "black 750s" - I've never heard of such a thing. I know there's the blue/white model (the original), there's a grey/black model (which is what their website shows today (http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/pro-750.html?phpMyAdmin=F%2C10wyDPvdbTSUKb0bFsP82LYqa&phpMyAdmin=-bRZSviO4b0rfbpf62n-9Lwy159)), but my understanding is that only the 2900 and 900 are black. Oh to try and make sense of Ultrasone...ph34r.gif

 

Haha sorry, the confusion is my fault. I meant grey/black. They do have the additional holes so it looks like its S-Logic Plus on the newer grey/black 750s which is what I have.

 

 

EDIT: Sorry CollinC, for hijacking your thread. What can I say, it happens a lot around here. :) We got to the bottom of the S-Logic stuff I think. Now back to your search for good closed-back cans with a wide soundstage. ;)


Edited by devhen - 1/17/13 at 11:01am
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

Haha sorry, the confusion is my fault. I meant grey/black. They do have the additional holes so it looks like its S-Logic Plus on the newer grey/black 750s which is what I have.


EDIT: Sorry CollinC, for hijacking your thread. What can I say, it happens a lot around here. smily_headphones1.gif We got to the bottom of the S-Logic stuff I think. Now back to your search for good closed-back cans with a wide soundstage. wink.gif

Okay, so that saves me from worrying "oh god, they have THREE unrelated versions" - rolleyes.gif

I think if they have Plus that's a definite improvement for staging - this kinda stuff is good to know! cool.gif But yeah, sorry about the hijack. I blame communists.
post #37 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

Haha sorry, the confusion is my fault. I meant grey/black. They do have the additional holes so it looks like its S-Logic Plus on the newer grey/black 750s which is what I have.

 

 

EDIT: Sorry CollinC, for hijacking your thread. What can I say, it happens a lot around here. :) We got to the bottom of the S-Logic stuff I think. Now back to your search for good closed-back cans with a wide soundstage. ;)

Not a big deal, I respect your knowledge on the matter. Based on my listening preferences and specifications, would you say DT770 > Pro 750 ?

post #38 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinC View Post

Not a big deal, I respect your knowledge on the matter. Based on my listening preferences and specifications, would you say DT770 > Pro 750 ?

 

Yes, personally I would, based on soundstage. In fact the 770's soundstage is probably going to be hard to beat but that doesn't mean I think you should stop looking. :) Its just that closed cans with wide soundstages are a little hard to find.

post #39 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

Its just that closed cans with wide soundstages are a little hard to find.

Yeah exactly. Since I'm going to be travelling around with them publicly, that isolation and minimal leakage is key.

post #40 of 68
best soundstage in a closed srh940. nuff said
post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

best soundstage in a closed srh940. nuff said

 

The best sound stages in closed headphones I've listened to:

 

Shure SRH940

Beyer T70

Mr Speaker Mad Dog with SR007 Stax Pads

Denon D2000/5000/7000

 

But unfortunately the SRH940 doesn't have any mid-bass to speak of, and it's sub-bass is shy even though it's able to land those tones decently. But does not meet the OP's criteria as they're not looking for bass-shy, which the SRH940 is.

 

Very best,

post #42 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

Its just that closed cans with wide soundstages are a little hard to find.

Aye. Unfortunately. The Kenwood K1000 are a fantastic argument to this, but they're almost twice the stated budget. ph34r.gif
post #43 of 68
Thread Starter 

Please keep the recommendations around and under the $200 range, as I'm a student and can't be spending too much more! Thanks. So far It's looking as though the DT770's are leading the way. I'm not going to purchase for a little while longer as I plan on doing some more research. If anybody comes up with any more cans comparable to the DT770's in regards to soundstage and punchy bass around the $200 your comments are always welcome! Thanks again guys. You're awesome. darthsmile.gif

post #44 of 68
Kind-of a long-shot, but the Koss MV1 are fairly punchy and would certainly fit into your budget. I'm not sure if they'd have enough bass impact for your personal tastes, but imho they have enough. Comfy too (I know, the pictures don't lead you to believe they will be, and honestly when I first got them I didn't think they would be; 10.6 non-stop hours later and I can report they're comfortable). Decent soundstage too - they're very much a closed can, but they image/stage well. I haven't heard the 770 to directly compare them though. redface.gif
post #45 of 68

Are there any good Sennheiser cans in this price range with the OP's requested characteristics?  I'm kind of curious about this topic as well, and have always been fond of Sennheiser.  Or do they just not make very good closed cans?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best Closed Can, Wide Sound stage, Good bass response Headphones? UNDER 250