I just got my career job and can finally get my feet wet with some real cans. I purchased the BeyerDynamic DT 990's 600OHM ( used this site to read and pick ones i wanted. You guys are awesome) and I am loving them. I paired them with a Asus xonar STX. Card became defective and they resent me my same card back threw a RMA. I am fed up with Asus. Looking for a $300< amp I could use with my desktop. Listen to music and game all on my desktop. I dont need portability. Any recommendations would be really appreciated. I read up on all the different types and now im starting to get confused lol.
- productAsus Xonar D1 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 1/21/13
- productASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Cardtagged by System, 1/21/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 1/21/13
- productJDS Labs ODACtagged by System, 1/21/13
- productSchiit Magnitagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- Beyerdynamic DT990 / 600 Ohm Amp Recommendation and misc. Last post on 6/11/13 at 10:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Amp-Dac combo for HD 600? Last post on 1/21/13 at 7:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Questions about DAC for DT990 Last post on 12/7/12 at 11:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- PC soundcard for beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm and Fiio E9 Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Whats a good amp/ usb DAC for DT990 pro 60ohms? Last post on 11/26/12 at 12:35pm in Computer Audio
I am believer in positive effects of a good cable and I like to try different aftermarket cables to see what sonic changes can be. I have contacted with Null Audio while I was looking for a new...
Introduction: One of my favorite parts of this hobby that I've grown to love over the past few years is trying new things and just experiencing how different components (or combination of...
I have to say I was very impressed with this little beauty. For my 63 yr. young ears after being subjected to some of the most ferocious live hard rock and heavy metal it really does justice to...
Setup I got my pair on sale for $150 USD. I have had a few lower end AKG headphones and have never been disappointed with the value and sound signature they offered. It's been a long time...
This is my first review. Honestly I am quite new to head-fi although I have tried and bought and sold a lot of headphones and earphones lately. I bought a pair of MA750 a week ago for 108USD in...
Newby Here ( Question about Dt 990 600OHM )
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Been reading up on O2,and matrix-M stage. Would it matter if I am using the onboard sound card? . Or would I need a separate sound card for output purposes. I also use desktop speakers at times. I see that the matrix-m has multiple outputs, would this be ideal for me so I can switch between speakers and using the front jack?.
+1 on this
On-board sound is what got me interested in external DAC units. I have not looked back since. USB playback is excellent because it can have extremely low noise, low distortion, and hardly any jitter. These factors combined make it nearly impossible to tell lossless from CD even through a decent transport when using a good external USB DAC.
Edited by NA Blur - 1/17/13 at 2:23pm
+1 on this
On-board sound is what got me interested in external DAC units. I have not looked back since. USB playback is excellent because it can have extremely low noise, low distortion, and hardly any jitter. These factors combined make it nearly impossible to tell lossless between CD even through a decent transport when using a good external USB DAC.
Is it possible to tell lossless from cd? I doubt. Even 320 kbit/s vs cd would be very hard
so my best bet would be the O2+Odac combo from JDS Labs. How would I be able to switch from Headphones to speakers?. Would I use the onboard sound card for the speakers and use the USB setup for headphones?.
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, $70 (same audio processor as the Essence STX)
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.
Connect the Xonar to the computer case's front panel headphone jack and plug the Magni into it.
Connect the speakers to the Xonar's back panel.
I have the same set up with OP, the Xonar STX is an amazing sound card, drove the DT 990 600ohm just fine, although I did have some issue while I was setting it up, but it was my fault.(defective molex connector)
I say give ASUS another try, and save that money.
- Newby Here ( Question about Dt 990 600OHM )
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › SennGrado Thread 20 seconds ago
- › MAGISTER - 40% PROMOTION PRICE 26 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 27 seconds ago
- › Headphone Sightings 2 31 seconds ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 5 minutes ago
- › Need advice on finding a spacious well defined headset/pair of... 6 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 6 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 6 minutes ago
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by xevman
- › Trinity - Techne Dynamic IEM by mark2410
- › Ubsound Fighter in-ear monitor with universal inline microphone and... by acain
- › T-Peos Altone250 by Cotnijoe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2