I just got my career job and can finally get my feet wet with some real cans. I purchased the BeyerDynamic DT 990's 600OHM ( used this site to read and pick ones i wanted. You guys are awesome) and I am loving them. I paired them with a Asus xonar STX. Card became defective and they resent me my same card back threw a RMA. I am fed up with Asus. Looking for a $300< amp I could use with my desktop. Listen to music and game all on my desktop. I dont need portability. Any recommendations would be really appreciated. I read up on all the different types and now im starting to get confused lol.
- productAsus Xonar D1 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 1/21/13
- productASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Cardtagged by System, 1/21/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 1/21/13
- productJDS Labs ODACtagged by System, 1/21/13
- productSchiit Magnitagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- Beyerdynamic DT990 / 600 Ohm Amp Recommendation and misc. Last post on 6/11/13 at 10:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Questions about DAC for DT990 Last post on 12/7/12 at 11:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- PC soundcard for beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm and Fiio E9 Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Whats a good amp/ usb DAC for DT990 pro 60ohms? Last post on 11/26/12 at 12:35pm in Computer Audio
- What amp for DT 990 600 ohms? Last post on 7/27/12 at 11:44am in Headphones (full-size)
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Newby Here ( Question about Dt 990 600OHM )
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Been reading up on O2,and matrix-M stage. Would it matter if I am using the onboard sound card? . Or would I need a separate sound card for output purposes. I also use desktop speakers at times. I see that the matrix-m has multiple outputs, would this be ideal for me so I can switch between speakers and using the front jack?.
+1 on this
On-board sound is what got me interested in external DAC units. I have not looked back since. USB playback is excellent because it can have extremely low noise, low distortion, and hardly any jitter. These factors combined make it nearly impossible to tell lossless from CD even through a decent transport when using a good external USB DAC.
Edited by NA Blur - 1/17/13 at 2:23pm
+1 on this
On-board sound is what got me interested in external DAC units. I have not looked back since. USB playback is excellent because it can have extremely low noise, low distortion, and hardly any jitter. These factors combined make it nearly impossible to tell lossless between CD even through a decent transport when using a good external USB DAC.
Is it possible to tell lossless from cd? I doubt. Even 320 kbit/s vs cd would be very hard
so my best bet would be the O2+Odac combo from JDS Labs. How would I be able to switch from Headphones to speakers?. Would I use the onboard sound card for the speakers and use the USB setup for headphones?.
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, $70 (same audio processor as the Essence STX)
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.
Connect the Xonar to the computer case's front panel headphone jack and plug the Magni into it.
Connect the speakers to the Xonar's back panel.
I have the same set up with OP, the Xonar STX is an amazing sound card, drove the DT 990 600ohm just fine, although I did have some issue while I was setting it up, but it was my fault.(defective molex connector)
I say give ASUS another try, and save that money.
- Newby Here ( Question about Dt 990 600OHM )
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Corda 2 move portable headphone amp 1 minute ago
- › A big life decision. Well, maybe. 3 minutes ago
- › 7/26/14 Seattle Redhook Meet impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD381 Series - Mini Review & Comparisons 6 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 7 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 8 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 9 minutes ago
- › IEMs that are way low priced for it's sonic quality 11 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)