I just got my career job and can finally get my feet wet with some real cans. I purchased the BeyerDynamic DT 990's 600OHM ( used this site to read and pick ones i wanted. You guys are awesome) and I am loving them. I paired them with a Asus xonar STX. Card became defective and they resent me my same card back threw a RMA. I am fed up with Asus. Looking for a $300< amp I could use with my desktop. Listen to music and game all on my desktop. I dont need portability. Any recommendations would be really appreciated. I read up on all the different types and now im starting to get confused lol.
- productAsus Xonar D1 Sound Card (Black)tagged by System, 1/21/13
- productASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express Interface Sound Cardtagged by System, 1/21/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 3/1/13
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
- productJDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 1/21/13
- productJDS Labs ODACtagged by System, 1/21/13
- productSchiit Magnitagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- Beyerdynamic DT990 / 600 Ohm Amp Recommendation and misc. Last post on 6/11/13 at 10:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Amp-Dac combo for HD 600? Last post on 1/21/13 at 7:00am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Questions about DAC for DT990 Last post on 12/7/12 at 11:47pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- PC soundcard for beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm and Fiio E9 Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Whats a good amp/ usb DAC for DT990 pro 60ohms? Last post on 11/26/12 at 12:35pm in Computer Audio
Intro (Kind of) The Westone W30 is one of several IEMs in Westone's newly revamped universal IEM collection, intended as a removable-cable replacement to the older W3. For those of you who are...
I picked these beautiful-looking babies on amazon few days ago when price dropped on amazon (used ones from amazon warehouse for $400), which was a bargain; compared to $300 price tag on HD650's....
I began to search for a shorter cable for my HD600 just because the stock cable is to long for using with a portable device. I didn't want to spend to much under $100. I did the standard Amazon and...
Exclusive sound, high quality patents "sandwich diaphragm" metal meets the technical.
I will leave the technical speak and unboxing play-by-play to the reviews that are already here, done by people who do a much better job than I can currently manage. Just know that the iDSD Micro...
Newby Here ( Question about Dt 990 600OHM )
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Been reading up on O2,and matrix-M stage. Would it matter if I am using the onboard sound card? . Or would I need a separate sound card for output purposes. I also use desktop speakers at times. I see that the matrix-m has multiple outputs, would this be ideal for me so I can switch between speakers and using the front jack?.
+1 on this
On-board sound is what got me interested in external DAC units. I have not looked back since. USB playback is excellent because it can have extremely low noise, low distortion, and hardly any jitter. These factors combined make it nearly impossible to tell lossless from CD even through a decent transport when using a good external USB DAC.
Edited by NA Blur - 1/17/13 at 2:23pm
+1 on this
On-board sound is what got me interested in external DAC units. I have not looked back since. USB playback is excellent because it can have extremely low noise, low distortion, and hardly any jitter. These factors combined make it nearly impossible to tell lossless between CD even through a decent transport when using a good external USB DAC.
Is it possible to tell lossless from cd? I doubt. Even 320 kbit/s vs cd would be very hard
so my best bet would be the O2+Odac combo from JDS Labs. How would I be able to switch from Headphones to speakers?. Would I use the onboard sound card for the speakers and use the USB setup for headphones?.
Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, $70 (same audio processor as the Essence STX)
Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99.
Connect the Xonar to the computer case's front panel headphone jack and plug the Magni into it.
Connect the speakers to the Xonar's back panel.
I have the same set up with OP, the Xonar STX is an amazing sound card, drove the DT 990 600ohm just fine, although I did have some issue while I was setting it up, but it was my fault.(defective molex connector)
I say give ASUS another try, and save that money.
- Newby Here ( Question about Dt 990 600OHM )
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 2 seconds ago
- › DAC / pre < $100 with optical input? 12 seconds ago
- › Vsonic GR07 mkII 16 seconds ago
- › Fiio E18 19 seconds ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 30 seconds ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Official New York Spring Meet 5.2.15 Impressions 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › [Review] Superlux HD681 EVO 3 minutes ago
- › Westone W30 Triple Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones,... by C.C.S.
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by KopaZ
- › Tennmak Sennheiser HD600/650 Short Cable by bikerboy94
- › Original Xiaomi Piston III Youth Edition Earphone Earbuds Headset... by leoscarax
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2