Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Fiio E17 DAC/Amp (ALPEN) + Fiio E09K Desktop Amp (QOGIR) Pictures, Impressions and Review [UPDATED Feb. 21]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio E17 DAC/Amp (ALPEN) + Fiio E09K Desktop Amp (QOGIR) Pictures, Impressions and Review [UPDATED Feb. 21] - Page 5

post #61 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

With an E17/E09k combo plugged into a PC (or laptop), what volume level do you guys typically have the E17 at?

I have E07k with E09k.

I have enabled the lo bypass from E07k and adjust volume only from E09k. So E07k is working only as dac and none of the E07k volume or tone controls affect sound output in anyway whatsoever. I think E17 works similarly.

post #62 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moolok View Post

I have E07k with E09k.
I have enabled the lo bypass from E07k and adjust volume only from E09k. So E07k is working only as dac and none of the E07k volume or tone controls affect sound output in anyway whatsoever. I think E17 works similarly.

Ah thanks!! That's exactly what I wanted to do, but did not think of the LO Bypass (or didn't know what it was called redface.gif). It's working great now! Thanks again.
post #63 of 107

(I'm also sending this to FiiO's customer support, but figured I'd pick the brains of you guys in case anyone has experienced any similar issues :) )

 

Last night my E17/E09K combo stopped working, it was completely fine earlier in the afternoon but when I went to watch a movie later that night (the computer had not been turned off between these points) it wasn't playing audio through the usual channel I use (USB>docked E17>E09K>Hifi Amp via line-out). The E17 has also stopped turning on/off with the amp, and just turns on itself when the PC gets turned on and doesn't shut down when either the amp or PC get shut off. After unplugging and redocking the E17 the PC also fails to recognise the E17 as an audio device and defaults to the onboard audio. Today I've investigated the issue further and discovered the following;

*The E09K does not output audio from either the docked E17 (on account of it not being recognised) or from my Xbox 360 which is connected via aux-in, from either the line-out or headphone-out

*The E09K will output audio from the pre-out with audio coming from the aux-in, but the volume control does not work (which I'm led to believe is the point of the pre-out, or is this just when receiving audio via the dock?) 

*When connected via the standard mini USB cable, the E17 works perfectly.

 

So yeah, this leads me to believe there is definitely an issue with the dock connector, seeing as the E17 goes from functional when connected directly to the PC to completely unrecognised, and with whatever circuitry controls the line-out and headphone-out but possibly not the pre-out, and not the aux-in. Has anyone experienced any combination of these problems before? Any help would be appreciated!

post #64 of 107

I just got the E17 and seriously considering the E09K - but one question remains which I have not been able to find on the Internet - can I use the SPDIF input on the E17 when it is docked with the E09K?  Reason I am asking, is because I want to use the E09K to drive two active speakers (Adam A3X) as well - and an optical input would be welcome.  Any hints would be appreciated.

post #65 of 107

I am also having problems with the 09\e17 via USB on win7 x64

 

Sometimes when the unit is turned off and on again or the headphones or pre-out cables are unplugged the unit is not recognised by windows and windows will also hang when you try to shutdown, forcing a hard reset, I am sure this is not right.

 

I have updated the USB drivers and tried using usb3 and usb2 but I get the same result. When I plugged the unit in for the first time I got the BSOD error, could this be the cause or a clue?

 

Any advice would be great.

post #66 of 107
I have had a few similar occurrences. Sometimes Windows 8.1 64bit does not recognise E07k when powering up E09k. Luckily Windows doesn't hang or crash. Usually power off and repowering the unit helps. A few times there has been something funny with mid and high levels: music sounds like it's been playing from the bottom of the barrel. Shutting down and repowering usually works, or restarting Windows. I nowadays use USB 3.0 port thru powered hub. Same problems did occur also while using laptop's USB 2.0 port.
Weird and a bit concerning.
post #67 of 107

I wonder how these compare to the o2+odac

post #68 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerathion View Post
 

I wonder how these compare to the o2+odac

 

O2 + ODac = on the neutral side of sound sig.

FiiO E17 + E09k = on the warm side of sound sig.

 

So, basically depends what your tastes are and what headphones you have.

post #69 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenkr View Post
 

 

O2 + ODac = on the neutral side of sound sig.

FiiO E17 + E09k = on the warm side of sound sig.

 

So, basically depends what your tastes are and what headphones you have.


would this perform better than a xonar phoebus soundcard with 10 ohm output impedance.

 

 and is the sound quality between the fiio and odac comparable?

 

thanks alot man

post #70 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerathion View Post
 


would this perform better than a xonar phoebus soundcard with 10 ohm output impedance.

 

 and is the sound quality between the fiio and odac comparable?

 

thanks alot man

 

The experience I had with the Phoebus was brief, due to how crappy it was I didn't bother with it beyond 15 minutes.

 

However, the E09k has the same 10-ohm output impedance. In fact IINM, they use the same headphone amp.

No doubt the E09k is a much cleaner amp due to its circuitary.

 

Yes they are comparable, like I said they have different flavors. FiiO on the warm side and O2/Odac on the cold neutral side.

post #71 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenkr View Post
 

 

The experience I had with the Phoebus was brief, due to how crappy it was I didn't bother with it beyond 15 minutes.

 

However, the E09k has the same 10-ohm output impedance. In fact IINM, they use the same headphone amp.

No doubt the E09k is a much cleaner amp due to its circuitary.

 

Yes they are comparable, like I said they have different flavors. FiiO on the warm side and O2/Odac on the cold neutral side.


ok the phoebus software is fixed now, so it wouldnt really make an upgrade i think, 10 ohm output isnt the best.

 

So o2/odac would be noticably better for low impedance headphones, if im correct?

post #72 of 107

That's the general "rule".

 

But that also depends on what headphones you are using. Not all headphones suffer from high output impedance.

AKG K/Q series of headphones don't, planar headphones don't either, some dynamic headphones don't either. The output impedance mismatching isn't really as big of an issue as many say it is, it's not the cancer of audio that many people would lead you to believe lol.

 

That said, indeed there are very sensitive headphones (looking at you Grados and some Sennheisers) and certainly if you plan to use IEMs, then the 10ohm output impedance wouldn't help most of the time.

post #73 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenkr View Post
 

That's the general "rule".

 

But that also depends on what headphones you are using. Not all headphones suffer from high output impedance.

AKG K/Q series of headphones don't, planar headphones don't either, some dynamic headphones don't either. The output impedance mismatching isn't really as big of an issue as many say it is, it's not the cancer of audio that many people would lead you to believe lol.

 

That said, indeed there are very sensitive headphones (looking at you Grados and some Sennheisers) and certainly if you plan to use IEMs, then the 10ohm output impedance wouldn't help most of the time.


:P i just dont think this would be a great improvement over the xonar phoebus

post #74 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerathion View Post
 


:P i just dont think this would be a great improvement over the xonar phoebus

 

O... kay. Then you've got your answer. Don't need to ugprade. :cool:

post #75 of 107

Anyone know why I would be getting "USB device not recognized" when plugging in the E09K with the docked E17 into my computer? I've tried switching cables and USB ports as well as trying a different computer.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Fiio E17 DAC/Amp (ALPEN) + Fiio E09K Desktop Amp (QOGIR) Pictures, Impressions and Review [UPDATED Feb. 21]