Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Turning HD518 into HD598.. Help?..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Turning HD518 into HD598.. Help?..

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hello all, I am new to the head-fi community. I have read hundreds of posts but never registered. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD518 a while back and they just were not what I hoped. Don't get me wrong they sound good, but not great. So the other day I looked up how to mod them. I did the clay mod and that helped, but they are still lacking. So after finding out that the HD518 DOES have the same driver as the HD598 I ordered the HD598 headband, ear cups, and ear pads from Sennheiser for about $80 and am just wondering if anyone has attempted taking these apart... I don't want to tear up anything seeing how I have over $200 invested now. Any advise is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!

post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PluggedLlama View Post

Hello all, I am new to the head-fi community. I have read hundreds of posts but never registered. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD518 a while back and they just were not what I hoped. Don't get me wrong they sound good, but not great. So the other day I looked up how to mod them. I did the clay mod and that helped, but they are still lacking. So after finding out that the HD518 DOES have the same driver as the HD598 I ordered the HD598 headband, ear cups, and ear pads from Sennheiser for about $80 and am just wondering if anyone has attempted taking these apart... I don't want to tear up anything seeing how I have over $200 invested now. Any advise is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!

What DAC & amp. are you using?

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 

Harmon Kardon AVR 65 and a sony blue ray player for my CD's. Also tried them on Dads Onkyo amp (not sure which model). The headphones do sound good but for $80 I thought it was worth the upgrade. 

post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 

Also, I am needing some HD598 ear pads if anyone reading this has any. Sennheiser told me they're on backorder until at least April...

post #5 of 22

Do you really need brown pads? Just use your black pads until the brown are available. I would have bought the 558 parts and you would have already had the pads.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PluggedLlama View Post

Also, I am needing some HD598 ear pads if anyone reading this has any. Sennheiser told me they're on backorder until at least April...

post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Why buy 558 parts when 598 parts are the same price and they're a better headphone was my question to self. I don't NEED the brown pads, but I know they are more comfortable and they'll match better. Some people said they effect sound too?
post #7 of 22

For me the 558 looks much better than the 598 and the 598 is not necessarily a better headphone. They use the same drivers, as does your 518, and the housings are near identical except the grill area. If you trust Headfonia, the 558 modded is better for some genres of music than the 598. Also, 558 parts would have saved you $25 in pads as well....that's all I was saying. I still think it's cool you can buy a cheaper headphone and Sennheiser sell the parts to upgrade it either way you go. Choices are always good.

post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Ya, I have heard that. And I have also heard that the HD 598 style is something you either love or hate. And I love them. Always have. That is most of my incentive for doing this.
post #9 of 22

same driver? i thought the hd 558 and the hd 598 had the same driver casing but doesnt the dt 7xx and dt 8xx  series have the same drivers ?

post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 

The inside of the 558 differs from the casing on the 518 and 598. The only difference (visible) in the casing between the 518 and 598 is the grill on the back of the speaker. The 518 seems to be semi open as the 598 has a fully open grill. 

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDobermanxX View Post

same driver? i thought the hd 558 and the hd 598 had the same driver casing but doesnt the dt 7xx and dt 8xx  series have the same drivers ?

 

Does Sennheiser sell the replacement drivers, too?  If so, do you recall what the HD-518 drivers cost, if they're the same as the HD-598?  I have a pair of HD-555, which I picked up for $30.  I used to have a new pair, 2+ years ago.  I suspect the newer "5" series driver is more capable than what came in my 555 at the time they were built.  

 

For me, I like the sound.  The headphone is very comfortable, and I can wear it all day long.  These are not my only pair though, as I have others when I need my bass fix.  However, the HD-555 can be quite pleasing to listen to - if you carefully listen to the music, there is so much detail there, and it doesn't push it out there in your face like some other headphones.  Then again, there are times when I like that "in your face" sound, too.

post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 

I am not sure about the drivers. I think i remember seeing elsewhere that they are only like 30$ each. Have you looked up the clay mod for the Senns..? I did it to mine and it dramatically helped. Tightened up the bass and brought out the mids. The highs seemed slightly less tho but I mainly listen to alternative and I like a lot of mids. 

post #13 of 22

I understand there are different grades of driver even the part number are the same, they use better grade driver for higher models that's why their might sounds a little better but the signature are the same. Eg. transistors have different grades too, computer CPU can be same but if any that fail to run at the design speed during the manufacturing will be underclock to the next lower speed model. 

post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PluggedLlama View Post

I am not sure about the drivers. I think i remember seeing elsewhere that they are only like 30$ each. Have you looked up the clay mod for the Senns..? I did it to mine and it dramatically helped. Tightened up the bass and brought out the mids. The highs seemed slightly less tho but I mainly listen to alternative and I like a lot of mids. 

 

Yeah.  I used Newplast on parts of the insides of the cups on my HD-555.  The HD-555 has the metal screen, too = more like the HD-598 as opposed to the HD-558, which is still plastic mesh.  I was just thinking a small investment of new drivers might take it up a notch.  I really like the airiness of what I hear, though.  It's a good break from my modded HD-428s, HE-400s and the JVC HA-S500.

 

 

 

Quote:
I understand there are different grades of driver even the part number are the same, they use better grade driver for higher models that's why their might sounds a little better but the signature are the same. Eg. transistors have different grades too, computer CPU can be same but if any that fail to run at the design speed during the manufacturing will be underclock to the next lower speed model. 

 

Thanks.  I'm aware of how CPUs get sorted during the manufacturing process.  However, it would concern me a bit more as to the variances in the drivers.  I'd assume that there would be better tolerances on the manufacturing when it comes to winding the voice coil, etc.  I guess the true test would be the prices that Sennheiser quotes me on the drivers.   If the HD-518, 558 and 598 driver is the same cost ... we'll know a bit more.  Sort of like the headband, frame and cups of the HD-558 being the same cost as the HD-598.


Edited by wje - 1/20/13 at 5:26pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

Yeah.  I used Newplast on parts of the insides of the cups on my HD-555.  The HD-555 has the metal screen, too = more like the HD-598 as opposed to the HD-558, which is still plastic mesh.  I was just thinking a small investment of new drivers might take it up a notch.  I really like the airiness of what I hear, though.  It's a good break from my modded HD-428s, HE-400s and the JVC HA-S500.

 

 

 

 

Thanks.  I'm aware of how CPUs get sorted during the manufacturing process.  However, it would concern me a bit more as to the variances in the drivers.  I'd assume that there would be better tolerances on the manufacturing when it comes to winding the voice coil, etc.  I guess the true test would be the prices that Sennheiser quotes me on the drivers.   If the HD-518, 558 and 598 driver is the same cost ... we'll know a bit more.  Sort of like the headband, frame and cups of the HD-558 being the same cost as the HD-598.

 

Yes, the HD598/HD600/HD650 have interchangeable parts including the driver but with different p/n and price. I was even thinking to buy these parts separately (orderable thru Sennheiser) and assemble my own set. It could be potentially cheaper I don't know but they are very modular and design to be user serviceable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Turning HD518 into HD598.. Help?..