The sub will come later but is desired.
Desktop Audio System Upgrade - Advice Please - Page 2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Pros:“Excellent imaging, decent detail, relatively neutral, good soundstage, FREAKISHLY COMFORTABLE!!!!”“COMFORTABLE”
- Pros:“Brilliant design and sound quality. Possibly the best consumer sound card there is.”“Marked improvement even with my limited speakers”
If you like to match aesthetics, you could get something like a pair of KRK VXT4's with the matching 10 or 12" sub that should total in right around your budget.
I mentioned the Nuforce set earlier, which I have. Not as high end as other stuff, but the footprint on the speakers and amp is tiny and is great for a crowded desk. Most desktop speakers/monitors will take up nearly square foot each, while the Nuforce speakers are about the size of a fat coffee mug. The amp is roughly the size of a book.
If going without a sub for a while, look for speakers that reach comfortably below 80Hz, and ideally around 60Hz. If going with a sub right away, that lower end extension isn't as critical though aiming for at least 80Hz is still good.
edit: also consider that if the room is small, a sub may not be ideal and you might be better off with a low reaching pair of monitors
Edited by Armaegis - 1/17/13 at 9:43pm
- 1,961 Posts. Joined 12/2011
- Location: Grand Rapids, MI
- Select All Posts By This User
In that case for a powered system for a bedroom, Paradigm MilleniaOne CT is definitely worth checking out. Comes with a sub that also has the amp for the speakers. The little sub that comes with it is supposed to have amazing sound.
Here's a review of the full set (not CT) , but same speakers: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-paradigm-milleniaone-speakers-milleniasub-subwoofer?page=0,2
Edited by cel4145 - 1/17/13 at 10:29pm
You may want to take a look at our Audiophile Desktop System. It is an all in one package with our DACmini PX Integrated (dac/headphone amp/power amp) and speakers enclosed in a pelican carrying case.
Here is what one reviewer said:
"This is a system aimed at those willing to pay a premum for greatness. A truly bespoke solution for amazing audio in a pretty small package. It's the best all-in-one system we've seen, paired as well as any amp/speaker system we've seen, and offering the best overall DAC that we've tried. Available now, and highly recommended."
The retail price is $1499, but right now we have a special 30% off deal until Feb. 15th with coupon code "ADS30-13".
Let me know if you have any questions!
Man, I keep looking at this... too bad I couldn't trade you guys some gear huh? (I could always review these vs my Nuforce desktop set, hmm...)
Edited by Armaegis - 1/17/13 at 11:57pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Pros:“Very good for the price, easily upgradeable sound, runs on power directly from PSU”“Excellent SQ, upgadable opamps, versatile headphone out”
- Pros:“An excellent alternative to the computer user wanting something different to an internal sound card!”“Good sound for the price”