Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300? - Page 5

post #61 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

2 week impressions:
...

SQ Wise: Really good. Especially at the price. The bass is some of the best ive heard, the mids and treble are perfectly balanced. Clear and spacious.
I like them more than the 1R,, UE6000, Focal Spirit One, and others. They're strangely on the same level as the Momentum, M500, P7, and ATH WS99.
I finally herd them yesterday..
I have to agree on this.
I didn't know about this can till yesterday
This is a great can to lug around because the quality sound is Easily up there, in mid-tier can category,
And the unit is inexpensive so I won't have to worry about losing it, as when I walk around with my Ultrasone ED8..
I'm just surprised I didn't hear about them and just found them now a year later lol
post #62 of 209
OK now that I own them for a day I can clearly tell they sound nicer to me than my favorite fun can the mods m100, which is an over-ear can.

The bass is nice and articulate with a special preussive type of sub-bass..
Very impactfull and weighty, very engaging.

The mids are very solid and clear.
No dullness or flatness like some mid-tier monitor type cans I have wink.gif

Trebles are actually very nice and clear(!)..
No over bright sibilance like my past sony7520 and no slight dryness like my focal spirit pros...but the pros, like the vmodas, have more soundstage..
Yet for an on-ear can, these Onkyo have very impressive soundstage and..
Instrument separation.
That is a unique aspect a lot of cans are not so good at and many sound more two dimensional.

So the musical pluses of these cans makes me have to say I would put these Onkyo 300 solidly at the level of the top mid-tier can category,
And that says a lot considering it is an on-ear...
Only the focal spirit pro can do better.

I do have other "on-ear" cans I like,
like the Mikros 90 and the Audio Technicas es700,
But those, to me, are a slight notch below, due to needing modding involved and not at that level stock.

To go higher for an on-ear, you would have to go maybe esw11,
buy even if given a choice between these and, say, an es10,
I would not it take over these Onkyo cans..

Just amazing.
Now I can finally put my Ultrasone ED8 to rest a bit.
I can live with less soundstage in the Onkyo due to its nice lively signature and robust dynamic bass.

Edit:
I do realize the cable can be a problem in future, so we will see..
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/10/14 at 7:35am
post #63 of 209

What about comfort? The Amperior is killing me :S

post #64 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

OK now that I own them for a day I can clearly tell they sound nicer to me than my favorite fun can the mods m100, which is an over-ear can.

The bass is nice and articulate with a special preussive type of sub-bass..
Very impactfull and weighty, very engaging.

The mids are very solid and clear.
No dullness or flatness like some mid-tier monitor type cans I have wink.gif

Trebles are actually very nice and clear(!)..
No over bright sibilance like my past sony7520 and no slight dryness like my focal spirit pros...but the pros, like the vmodas, have more soundstage..
Yet for an on-ear can, these Onkyo have very impressive soundstage and..
Instrument separation.
That is a unique aspect a lot of cans are not so good at and many sound more two dimensional.

So the musical pluses of these cans makes me have to say I would put these Onkyo 300 solidly at the level of the top mid-tier can category,
And that says a lot considering it is an on-ear...
Only the focal spirit pro can do better.

I do have other "on-ear" cans I like,
like the Mikros 90 and the Audio Technicas es700,
But those, to me, are a slight notch below, due to needing modding involved and not at that level stock.

To go higher for an on-ear, you would have to go maybe esw11,
buy even if given a choice between these and, say, an es10,
I would not it take over these Onkyo cans..

Just amazing.
Now I can finally put my Ultrasone ED8 to rest a bit.
I can live with less soundstage in the Onkyo due to its nice lively signature and robust dynamic bass.

Edit:
I do realize the cable can be a problem in future, so we will see..

Is the treble as extended and sparkly like the m100? But without harshness at the same time. I actually found the treble on the m100s to be my favorite aspect. How about the bass? Is it as elevated to the m100

Theses have been given high praise ( ans at their price of 149-179 it really sounds like a no brainer)
post #65 of 209
It reminds me of both the m100 and my ed8.
The trebles have that nice sparkle.
I would say the m100 treble is a little grainy, where the Onkyo is just sparkly. Zero harshness.

It has similar elevation of bass as an m100 yet I would say the m100 has more.
The bass on these Onkyo is so nice and punchy deep.
Where as the m100 is more separate and exaggerated.
To me I prefer the Onkyo as more of a clear neutral yet fun sound.
But the m100 will never leave ha.
The focal spirit pro will be sold now as these will replace them.(!)
post #66 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

It reminds me of both the m100 and my ed8.
The trebles have that nice sparkle.
I would say the m100 treble is a little grainy, where the Onkyo is just sparkly. Zero harshness.

It has similar elevation of bass as an m100 yet I would say the m100 has more.
The bass on these Onkyo is so nice and punchy deep.
Where as the m100 is more separate and exaggerated.
To me I prefer the Onkyo as more of a clear neutral yet fun sound.
But the m100 will never leave ha.
The focal spirit pro will be sold now as these will replace them.(!)

 

bold statements my friend! i'm sure you'll easily find a suitor for those spirit pros 

 

glad you found something, cheap yet neutral and fun sounding

 

let us know if anything changes (the connectors especially) wonder if you can really use the shure connectors or the fiio aftermarket ones. definitely more accessible compare getting a replacement from onkyos (i looked it up, quite annoying)

post #67 of 209
The focal spirit pro is more of a monitor can and as such is not as fun sounding.
It has its place for monitoring though..



As for comparisons:
FSP- mids further back, nice air,
Slightky less prominent & more delicate trebles and bass.
Bass slightly more airy
Onkyo300- mids closer & deeper, detail level on par. More lively and engaging
Bass slightly more impactful

Differences are surprisingly minimal and so overall signature somewhat similar

Portability goes to the Onkyo of course.
Looks goes to the "FSP"
Yet both look "cool"

You have to turn the volume up a notch or two on the FSP in order to have similar volume..

Both nice I would say the FSP is more flat and polished while the Onkyo just more involving, livmely, closer and just as realistic in details.

This is why some reviews take time as so many aspects to the sound..

So although it is a preference toss up between these two,
They both are a notch above musically, over the NAD 50..
Edited by Maxx134 - 4/10/14 at 4:18pm
post #68 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
 

What about comfort? The Amperior is killing me :S

 

Impressions from memory Maxx? Onkyo does it better?

post #69 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post

Impressions from memory Maxx? Onkyo does it better?
Yes I had the Amperior and it had nice fun bass of a notch below an m100 and at level of m80, with hotter but nice trebles..

As for fit, the larger circumference of the plush pads means its a no contest between the two.
The Onkyo has very good fit with less clamp than Amperior.
Feels softer than Focal Spirit Pro.
It is not as sleek as the vmoda cans and probably a lot bigger looking than the Amperior, yet the headband is alot nicer.
post #70 of 209

Awesome! I wasted no time after reading that and jumped right on an used €102 Amazon pair :wink:

post #71 of 209

Maxx, I've got ES700 in the past after the thread with your recommendation. I loved them. Then I did the cork mod after your recommendation - I've loved the ES700 even more. I made small mistake (actually it was huge mistake) and sold the ES700.

 

Now I'm looking for new cans - how would you compare those to ES700?

 

Many thanks,

doc

post #72 of 209

i just picked up the blue model (cheaper cables) at e-earphone.jp in oksaka.  i got it "upstairs."  (they have over 100 used cans upstairs and you can try them all.)  the better cabled version was also available for the same price (had a "scar" (scratch)).  but i preferred blue, i prefer the flat cable (just because), and i could not hear a difference via A/B, even after trying 3 difference musics. i also happen to have shure e315's, so i can swap the cable if im ever dying to do so.  yes i tried it.  both units work fine with cables swapped.  but weirdly, they dont fit into each as precisely.  the shure plugs are not as snug in the onkyo, and the onkyo plugs snap more easily into place in the shure IEMs than do their own shure mate plugs.  so the plug type is the same, and you could get away replacing one with another, but not milled in the same factory or whatever.

 

these weird aluminum blue onkyos were $89 :)) (8900 yen).

 

i was leaning heavily toward those great small on-ear One's (the brand escapes me suddenly- they are a very successful unit, black with inline controller, and a followup unit was produced which is available in white.  the original black is intentionally bassy and the white a tad even moreso) which were available for $79 in great condition (all the stuff is no less than B+.  it all looks A to me.)  and i liked the inline control because i was looking specifically for high-comfort portable's with low leakage for all-day cafe use.  anyway i was leaning toward these One's whose name i cant recall, last used unit available, and then the guy pointed me toward the onkyo's.  my initial reaction was cold because they look too cool.  but i was surprised!  i soon realized that the bass of the One's would soon become overly apparent (annoying) unless i EQd them down all the time, whereas the bass of these onkyo's is very present but doesnt stand out too far, which is what i prefer (i dont even need the "very"). 

 

for the inline control i bought a cute 6inch $9 audio technical extension with buttons on it.

 

so i started A/Bing them over other models i had noted down on my previous visit as liking (soundwise):

- denon AHD600EM - a tiny bit bassy for me but handsome, comfy, and great detail not too smothered by bass.  i think they were $150 used.  the sound certainly compares and the comfort is great, but not as portable, kinda bulky in comparison, and $60 more.

- ultrasone HFI580 was my 2nd choice when i bought my in-home cans, and they had them used for i think $130.  as above, the things i like about the onkyo sound were also present in the 580's, but my reasoning was the same- not as portable, and ttytt, the styling lost a point in the end :).  btw, this was the 2nd time i was able to compare the 580s with the 680s.  both times the 580s sounded better, clearer. 

- i liked the akg 550, but too similar to what i already have.

- i did NOT compare them directly against the new vmoda XS, but i A/B'd the XS with the One's and preferred both the sound and comfort of the One's.  the One sound is more enveloping, certainly in part due to the cups angling back flush with my ears, whereas the XS cups didnt seal on the forward part of my ears as well, as though they didnt pivot on a vertical axis.  they sure are sexy though, and portable.  gotta love the vmoda build and materials.  i really wanted to like them but the $200 (new) tag helped me not to.

- i did not compare them to m50's but i should have.  i only thought of it on the way home...  anyone try?

 

also compared to some random units on the shelves-

losing out were: nuforce 800s, a roland pair (way too sibilant!), a fancy brown shure model with extremely firm pads (meh), griffin "woodtones" (blech).  there's a maestro model i liked that are super ugly, almost attractively so, but it was $100 more than the new price, and they dont sound very nice at all unless amped. so i didnt even compare them.

 

i didnt compare the momentums.  even used, the momentums were double the price.  i have heard the momentums a couple times before and i like them but the signature is a bit neutral for me (if thats the right word).  i think most sennheisers are like that?  so figured even if they sound better, they wont sound twice as good.  also theyre handsome... i try (TRY) not to bring up styling in my judging process until the end.  it's tough to block it out when you are handling them during listening, but i try...

 

i didnt A/B to m100's because my wife took them to zurich yesterday, but i know the sound, which i would describe as so great that it's ultimately a shame because that great spectrum gets smothered over by that m100 pronounced bass.  i love listening to them occasionally but cant own them because bass.  this is my sole criticism of the m100s, and a personal one at that, so if i was a basshead (like my wife), they would be perfect. 

 

then i brought them back home and compared to my "personal reference" ATH-AD900X.  well, whoa!  that soundstage im used to i can ride a bicycle around it :) ... glad to be home!  maybe it's not fair to compare with open-back.  but apart from that gaping difference the onkyo still sound good.  and sometimes you want the cozier space anyway.

 

i agree they are slightly clampy.  not sure if i can take them for 8hrs straight... will find out soon enough.  (comfort-wise they dont even compare the ath-ad900x, of course, and they are not supposed to.)  not sure if i can stretch them out.  anyone know?  im afraid to just violently pry them out.

 

also they are not as insulative as others.  because aluminum?  but definitely acceptable.  fine for cafe.

 

i like to test with acousticky sound and some Lemon Jelly.  they must pass both.  and then i hope they pass the Far More Blue test...

for the first cut, i like to test initially with mostly only one control-sound: the Gomez song, Options [1:07 to 2:03](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coW-I8_Vldw#t=69) (no i dont stream youtube for testing :).  it has a lot of types of details layered in (electronic, snary, voice sibilants, bells, fading, pronounced use of stereo) that either come through or don't on different models.  (i even heard a few in which a lyric was muffled beyond distinction.)  it also has some silence, and better, the silence is bookended with varying types of sound jumping in or cutting off suddenly, so you can judge the "attack" and "relax".

post #73 of 209

i also compared it to beyer dynamic on-ears.  not sure it they were tp51 but same design with the contoured horizontal pivot aluminum cup holders.  i didnt see the (used) price but i preferred the livelier onkyo sound for sure.  this may not mean much to you though because i think i might be missing a few cilia because i cant hear (havent yet head) what people like about bd.  i havent heard one i really like.  maybe they are made for classical?

post #74 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
 

Awesome! I wasted no time after reading that and jumped right on an used €102 Amazon pair :wink:

 

Well, that pair is for sale as of yesterday if anyone's interested. By quite a bit I like the Amperior's sound better. That's not to say the Onkyo is bad. On the contrary. It's the more balanced more comfortable (but less isolating) headphone. For commuting purposes it's not what I'm looking for. Bought myself an used Sennheiser HD-25 SP which in fact was one of my very first headphones. Might do the trick. Note to self: IEMs?

 

Edit: the SP turned out just fine just fine


Edited by moriez - 4/24/14 at 7:39am
post #75 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by docentore View Post

Maxx, I've got ES700 in the past after the thread with your recommendation. I loved them. Then I did the cork mod after your recommendation - I've loved the ES700 even more. I made small mistake (actually it was huge mistake) and sold the ES700.

Now I'm looking for new cans - how would you compare those to ES700?

Many thanks,
doc
They are a step up in resolution.
The 700 have a sweetness.
The onkyo have the edge in realism.
Bass and trebles are impressive.
Soundstage larger but that's subjective as the 700 had alot of musicality.
Anyway like I said, the onkyo is a step up and will be my everyday can replacing my ultrasone ed8 due to it looking too flashy for the summer.
They share similarities in resolution and trebles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post

Well, that pair is for sale as of yesterday if anyone's interested. By quite a bit I like the Amperior's sound better. That's not to say the Onkyo is bad. On the contrary. It's the more balanced more comfortable (but less isolating) headphone. For commuting purposes it's not what I'm looking for. Bought myself an used Sennheiser HD-25 SP which in fact was one of my very first headphones. Might do the trick. Note to self: IEMs?

Edit: the SP turned out just fine just fine
The Amperior is a very colored fun can with hot flashy trebles and juicy bass.
Nowhere as realistic or balanced.
Very entertaining but not realistic.

The onkyo approach monitor status like the Focal Spirit Pro. .
They could be called it's livelier brother.
A cross between the focal and the ed8

They are keepers for me because of the lively signature and similar trebles to my ed8.
Bass details have pop and wow factor on edge of exaggeration though.
I am not talking about amount of bass, but the type of bass.

The metal finished is impressive and they remind me of the ws99 I had in looks.
But the white and brown, OMG they look like a cousin of an ed8 with that Headband . Very nice!
Look!
Watch "First Look: Onkyo ES-CTI300(SS) Headphones with i…" on YouTube
First Look: Onkyo ES-CTI300(SS) Headphones with i…: http://youtu.be/1WqnS5UF0wU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300?