or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300? - Page 19

post #271 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by baadaq View Post
 

has anyone compared the onkyos to headphones likes sony mdr 1a,ath msr7 or nad viso hp50?.


Probably not quite on the same level as those, but given the price and performance, I wouldn't pass them up if you're curious at all. Definitely as good as a lot of the stuff in the $250 range. 

post #272 of 280

I gotta give a quick first impression of these.

 

First off upon opening, I was cringing at the fact how squeaky the construction is. Everything just seems to creak and it feels like 10 dollar Sony headphones you find hanging in a Walmart. Though the headband seems nice, very nice and soft. Much softer than my pillows.

 

I heard a lot about the connectors but I decided to give these a go. Cable quality seems ok, maybe a little thin but it allows for very little if any microphonics. Especially like the the springy right angle connector. Though I guess only time will tell how well and long the connections last on the earcups. Not too excited.

 

Upon listening, wow. It sounds very open for a closed headphone, and the bass is.. almost perfect. Maybe just a touch too much for my tastes but it's very thumping good. No muddiness or distraction from the music.

 

The mids, well I don't really judge mids well but guitars come through clear and clean, same for vocals. Very detailed surprisingly.

 

The treble, clean and detailed as well. I found it to be the perfect amount of treble for the "open" sound. I didn't find it at all bright though I do lean towards a brighter signature more than the warm.

 

I liked the sound on these much more than my Momentum M2's (GASP I know), M50S, Yamaha MT220's, and my Grado SR225e. 

 

(I haven't directly compared them, but from I think from the top of my head, I liked the Onkyo's sound much more).

 

I guess the sound is like the Audio Techncia house sound, but on steroids (or maybe adderall but you get the point). 

 

Still not completely sold on its longevity and its construction though.

post #273 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post
 

I gotta give a quick first impression of these.

 

First off upon opening, I was cringing at the fact how squeaky the construction is. Everything just seems to creak and it feels like 10 dollar Sony headphones you find hanging in a Walmart. Though the headband seems nice, very nice and soft. Much softer than my pillows.

 

I heard a lot about the connectors but I decided to give these a go. Cable quality seems ok, maybe a little thin but it allows for very little if any microphonics. Especially like the the springy right angle connector. Though I guess only time will tell how well and long the connections last on the earcups. Not too excited.

 

Upon listening, wow. It sounds very open for a closed headphone, and the bass is.. almost perfect. Maybe just a touch too much for my tastes but it's very thumping good. No muddiness or distraction from the music.

 

The mids, well I don't really judge mids well but guitars come through clear and clean, same for vocals. Very detailed surprisingly.

 

The treble, clean and detailed as well. I found it to be the perfect amount of treble for the "open" sound. I didn't find it at all bright though I do lean towards a brighter signature more than the warm.

 

I liked the sound on these much more than my Momentum M2's (GASP I know), M50S, Yamaha MT220's, and my Grado SR225e. 

 

(I haven't directly compared them, but from I think from the top of my head, I liked the Onkyo's sound much more).

 

I guess the sound is like the Audio Techncia house sound, but on steroids (or maybe adderall but you get the point). 

 

Still not completely sold on its longevity and its construction though.


Yeah, I really love these too, and at the price they are today they're a steal. I had to switch the cables and wear them backwards because one cable doesn't work with one connector without cutting out, but they still sound great.  Other than the connectors they're doing well so far. 

post #274 of 280

It seems like that Onkyo have collaborated with Iron Maiden to create their brand headphones for the fans...

 

http://www.maidenaudio.com/

 

Looks like the ES FC300 model but rumor has it that the sound of these 'phones were created with Iron Maiden bassist/founder Steve Harris together. Interesting!

post #275 of 280

Does anyone know of a headphone with a similar/same sound as these ones, but with a fixed cable or a different kind of detachable cable (XLR, 2 pins, etc.); a better build, and possibly even more open sound?

post #276 of 280

Does anyone know of a hardshell case for the ES-FC300s?

post #277 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post
 

Does anyone know of a hardshell case for the ES-FC300s?


It has been I while since I sold my Onkyo's, but if I recall correctly, this case worked for them.

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YONZEG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

post #278 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post

Does anyone know of a headphone with a similar/same sound as these ones, but with a fixed cable or a different kind of detachable cable (XLR, 2 pins, etc.); a better build, and possibly even more open sound?

es700 sound very similar, just not as open sounding. They are like the portable version
post #279 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post
 

Does anyone know of a headphone with a similar/same sound as these ones, but with a fixed cable or a different kind of detachable cable (XLR, 2 pins, etc.); a better build, and possibly even more open sound?


I am guessing that you may not be interested in an alternative to the Onkyo's since you are now inquiring about a hard case...I recently purchased the AKG Y50.  They have a removable cable (2.5 mm on the headphone side), and a decent build quality.  I paid under $80.  I am enjoying them, but I would not say that they have the same sound signature as the Onkyo's.  Going from memory, the Y50 are perhaps slightly less detailed, but with a nice sound stage for closed portables.  I also find the Y50's to be more comfortable than the Onkyo's.  Bonus...the case noted in my other post fits the Y50, as well.

post #280 of 280

Going to bump this thread since I recently acquired these for a very good deal and am wondering if anyone ever came up with some replacement ear pads that increase comfort while NOT degrading sound?  It seems the ones mentioned in this thread that I could find affect sound (e.g. K545 pads).  Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300?