Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300? - Page 13

post #181 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

I agree, but behind the Mikros they're not of much use. After the Mikros though, they're my favorite can.

Just a question of preference. I prefer the Onkyos for sure, but a big reason would be how the Mikros roll off of my ears with any movement.
post #182 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

lol thanks for the reply. i'm not looking for better than double the price. 

 

i mean in terms of disregarding the price. how do they stack up. just sonically speaking. i've been using on ears for a while now and i like the comfort of the over ears of the momentums but if the pads on the the onkyos are good i might switch back ( over ears are just soo much more comfy)

 

YES to the memory foam! or sell them separately, the change in connectors would be nice too

 

but i would really love it if they make a circumaural.

 

maybe i should just wait. i love the design on the onkyos, i'm sure they will continue that throughout the line =) cross fingers a circumaural comes out soon. i'm definitely gonna snap up a pair


Oh, you're looking to pick these up? I could definitely vouch for them; my review pretty much does nothing but gush about the sound. The midbass could see a bit of improvement. I think it might just be me, but I found that with some vocals, the instruments took precedence, and I attribute that to vocalists with deeper voices. Which explains why Radiohead songs don't really have the issue. Otherwise, I would characterize the headphones as nothing but neutral with the faintest hint of warmth. But even to someone who can't stand a warm sound signature, I would recommend them because they're far closer to neutral. Treble is never harsh; there's no sibilance. That said, being closed headphones, the highs aren't going to be the greatest. I find that the enclosure has a lot to do with the airiness and separation in headphones.

 

Comfort is where the headphones will turn off a few people. If you don't like on-ears, then I'm disappointed to inform you that they are not the most comfortable on-ears. That said, I never really had a problem wearing them for an extended commute. Even when I took them off, I didn't feel particularly relieved. Believe me, I'm someone who takes comfort very seriously and those headphones only slightly disappoint.

 

Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath for Onkyo to release a circumaural. I see it happening, but I think we'd all have to tell Onkyo to make it happen. Also, if they don't use memory foam in their hypothetical circumaural, I would be incredibly sad. Bowers & Wilkins did that with the P7 and I found it absurd that they would charge $400 for a headphone that doesn't even have memory foam pads. That said, there are some advantages to using other material besides memory foam.


Edited by Dragonzeanse - 7/2/14 at 9:23pm
post #183 of 258
Check out the depth with your Onkyo's... (better with a flac rip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zZ5JvYJefc
post #184 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Check out the depth with your Onkyo's... (better with a flac rip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zZ5JvYJefc


Yeah, I wouldn't use YouTube videos to determine SQ. They sound too compressed.

post #185 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 


Oh, you're looking to pick these up? I could definitely vouch for them; my review pretty much does nothing but gush about the sound. The midbass could see a bit of improvement. I think it might just be me, but I found that with some vocals, the instruments took precedence, and I attribute that to vocalists with deeper voices. Which explains why Radiohead songs don't really have the issue. Otherwise, I would characterize the headphones as nothing but neutral with the faintest hint of warmth. But even to someone who can't stand a warm sound signature, I would recommend them because they're far closer to neutral. Treble is never harsh; there's no sibilance. That said, being closed headphones, the highs aren't going to be the greatest. I find that the enclosure has a lot to do with the airiness and separation in headphones.

 

Comfort is where the headphones will turn off a few people. If you don't like on-ears, then I'm disappointed to inform you that they are not the most comfortable on-ears. That said, I never really had a problem wearing them for an extended commute. Even when I took them off, I didn't feel particularly relieved. Believe me, I'm someone who takes comfort very seriously and those headphones only slightly disappoint.

 

Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath for Onkyo to release a circumaural. I see it happening, but I think we'd all have to tell Onkyo to make it happen. Also, if they don't use memory foam in their hypothetical circumaural, I would be incredibly sad. Bowers & Wilkins did that with the P7 and I found it absurd that they would charge $400 for a headphone that doesn't even have memory foam pads. That said, there are some advantages to using other material besides memory foam.

very nice, i'll definitely read up on your review! i own both momentums (the on and over ear). i'm on the fence with the on ear (MOE) cause theres aspects i really dont like. i rather get a headphone thats a all arounder, with some quibbles rather than having major flaws. thats just me 

 

i love the treble and soundstage (very wide for on ear standards) on the on ears, it has great bass extension for an on ear but the mids are too veiled and recessed with the bass being too droney and somewhat loose.

 

the onkyos will be a bit of a long term goal ( i have to finish up my reviews on the momentums (both) and sell them off then grab the onkyos.

 

so it might be a while 

post #186 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom22 View Post
 

very nice, i'll definitely read up on your review! i own both momentums (the on and over ear). i'm on the fence with the on ear (MOE) cause theres aspects i really dont like. i rather get a headphone thats a all arounder, with some quibbles rather than having major flaws. thats just me 

 

i love the treble and soundstage (very wide for on ear standards) on the on ears, it has great bass extension for an on ear but the mids are too veiled and recessed with the bass being too droney and somewhat loose.

 

the onkyos will be a bit of a long term goal ( i have to finish up my reviews on the momentums (both) and sell them off then grab the onkyos.

 

so it might be a while 


For a reference point, I like the Senn MOE's and the Onkyo's.  While the Onkyo's are on ear, the cups are much larger than the MOE's, and the pads a bit softer...I have no trouble with comfort on the Onkyo's.  I find the Onkyo's to have less bass presence than the MOE's, but the Onkyo's certainly have adequate bass.  The treble on the Onkyo's is very nice, perhaps similar to the MOE's.  The sound stage on the Onkyo's s also very good for an on ear...perhaps due to the relatively large, deep cups?  I like the clarity of the Onkyo's...they never sound congested, or muddy.

post #187 of 258

Onkyo ES-whatever-300s have been described as being large enough to nearly an around-the-ear. While I don't think they're quite that larger, I can see where people are coming from. They're huge in comparison to some on-ears like the V-Moda M-80s and Sennheiser MOEs. I'm pretty happy that they're the size they are, though. Too many portable headphones advertise as being circumaural despite having tight fits like the big brother variants of the two aforementioned headphones (M-100 and original Momentum). Any smaller and I feel Onkyo's headphones would sound congested. It's the perfect size for an on-ear, if you ask me.

post #188 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 

 It's the perfect size for an on-ear, if you ask me.

Ditto.

post #189 of 258

It occurs to me I've never noticed anyone mentioning Onkyo's ES-BT1, it's a strange lil BT headphone.

post #190 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post


Yeah, I wouldn't use YouTube videos to determine SQ. They sound too compressed.

That's a given. It was meant to be used for illustrative purposes, where if you have the flac, it's an even better demonstration of the sub-bass. Having said that, even the youtube version will give you an idea how well these cans can handle that depth.
post #191 of 258
Not all YouTube videos sound bad.
post #192 of 258

Yep,

 

Here is an amazing overview about the sound quality of youtube and how it changed during the years and with which resolution of the video (not doing that anymore since 2014).

 

http://www.h3xed.com/web-and-internet/youtube-audio-quality-bitrate-240p-360p-480p-720p-1080p

 

So it's NEVER better than 192 AAC (mp4 the successor of mp3).

 

The fact remains that you most likely upload a video with an already compressed audio track, which then gets re-encoded. This is always bad for the quality, depending on how many times the audio track was encoded and what the source quality was in the first place, the quality of the youtube video audio track changes greatly....

 

Cheers,

K

post #193 of 258

That's just putting words in my mouth. I'm not even one of those people who thinks FLAC sounds better than high-bitrate MP3s. There is a difference between YouTube and MP3s, however.

post #194 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

I just find the mikros so uncomfortable, and it can sometimes be a pain to get a seal
Stock pads sucks on the Mikros90 so I replaced with Senn 25 pads..
Now it can compete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Just a question of preference. I prefer the Onkyos for sure, but a big reason would be how the Mikros roll off of my ears with any movement.
I will compare more later but I also now have the akg545 to compare. .
The Onkyo has more bass and a bit more aggressive sound while the akg seems more polite and sweeter with bit more air and soundstage. .but it has less bass and punch than the Onkyos & Mikros90

Edited by Maxx134 - 7/11/14 at 7:28am
post #195 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post


Stock pads sucks on the Mikros90 so I replaced with Senn 25 pads..
Now it can compete.
I will compare more later but I also now have the akg545 to compare. .
The Onkyo has more bass and a bit more aggressive sound while the akg seems more polite and sweeter with bit more air and soundstage. .but it has less bass and punch than the Onkyos & Mikros90

As far as portables go, I don't know of many that beat Onkyo's in terms of bass.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300?