Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Help Choosing Sub $400 Over Ear Headphones From Bestbuy - Sub $250 If Elsewhere
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help Choosing Sub $400 Over Ear Headphones From Bestbuy - Sub $250 If Elsewhere - Page 2

post #16 of 38

Also consider the fact that Beyerdynamic are semi-open, while the Amperior and Momentum are closed.

post #17 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythm is life View Post

innerfidelity.com reviewed both the Amperior and the Momentum if you want a detailed description of both. The Amperior's sub-bass is rolled off and its mid-bass is slightly emphasized relative to the midrange. As for the treble, the Amperior has a sharp treble peak at 9kHz like the DT 770, while the rest of the treble range is de-emphasized relative to the midrange, creating a dark yet sibilant sound. The Momentum has a much smoother sound overall. The bass response is even throughout the bass range, though it could stand to be a few dB louder. The transition from midrange to treble is smooth and there are no sharp peaks or dips in the response, save for a very narrow dip in the 4-5 kHz range. According to headphone.com, dips in the upper-mid/lower-treble range can actually be a good thing, as our ears are particularly sensitive in this range. The treble response is subdued, lending a laid-back and nonfatiguing character to the sound. The DT 770-80 is peakier than the Momentum in the bass and treble, while the 250 ohm DT 770's bass response is less emphasized than the 80, though it's still more pronounced than what the Momentum has to offer. I'm not sure about the Audio-Technica A900X. The old A900 was bass-light, but the new "X" edition is supposed to address this.
 


If you have heard them before, how would you say the Crossfade LPs compare to the bass of the DT 770-80s & DT 770-250s?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton007 View Post

Also consider the fact that Beyerdynamic are semi-open, while the Amperior and Momentum are closed.

 

Would you say it works to the DT-770's advantage by giving it a more natural and accurate sound?

post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post

Would you say it works to the DT-770's advantage by giving it a more natural and accurate sound?

 

Not really, just that closed cans are better at removing room level noise, unless your room is pretty silent.

I use open ones myself (HD239), and they let in any kind of external noise, even the whirring noise of a fan, it can be annoying sometimes.

post #19 of 38
From the headphones you listed at Best Buy I'd vote ESW9 or A900X - I prefer the ESW9, but the A900X aren't a bad pair of 'phones (especially when they're on sale). QC15 are nice too - plenty bassy but not a mess about it, eat batteries though (and they do get sorta warm after enough hours). I'd say go try them out if you get a chance. I agree that K550 probably won't be suitable as well.

If shopping elsewhere, Ultrasone HFI-2400 are also nice - open-back though. Tough to say how I'd rank these four honestly.
post #20 of 38
Thread Starter 

blink.gif Every time I feel like I'm getting closer to a decision, I slip further away haha I wish I could find a place that had all these headphones on display. I took a look at the HFI-2400 and I was intrigued. Seems like they have a good sound. I'm leaning towards the ones at bestbuy as I get a very good discount and the price gap it's going to leave between a bestbuy headphone and a headphone from elsewhere seems larger than what it's worth. Either way, I feel like I'm making the right decision in getting rid of the Monster Inspirations.

As of right now I'm leaning towards the Beyerdynamic DT 770-250s (probably with an fiio E10 amp, good choice or any other recommendations?) and the Audio Technica ATH-A900X. 

 

Can anyone directly differentiate the sound signature/profile of these two headphones? Main differences in the highs, mids, and lows. Seems as if both have a fair amount of praise and both seem to be considered in the same category, however, I would think some things must set them apart.

I'm going to see if I can find a place to demo the DT-770-250s and the A900X but a quick written comparison would be appreciated just in case I am not able to. Maybe I'll see if I can get my hands on the 80 ohms as well to see if there is that much of a difference in bass.


Edited by Breaker - 1/17/13 at 5:43am
post #21 of 38

If your willing to get something not from best buy you should check out the ultrasone pro 900's. They have a decent sound stage and have some of the best bass out there until your at the lcd2 level. You can find them for under $400 some places and if you have a decent soundcard you won't even need an amp to make them sound good. 

post #22 of 38
Thread Starter 

I just read Zombie_X's review of the beyerdynamic headphones. Do you think the DT990 Pros are that much better than the DT770 Pros relative to my usage?

post #23 of 38

The DT770's I believe have the boomier bass and are closed, not open. The DT990 have peaky treble as i've heard and are open-back. If you're looking for something with emphasis on bass, DT770's are probably the better choice. I have a DT770/32ohms and the bass is fairly boomy, but I don't believe it overpowers the mids and highs that much. It is still a very very good sounding headphone.
 

post #24 of 38

Most people I've seen prefer the DT770's to the 990's. 

The a900x is better then both of them imo. I listened to the dt 770 80 ohm before I bought my a900x and the a900x came across more balanced, the beyer's had to much boomy bass for me.


Edited by Mani ATH 87 - 1/17/13 at 4:53pm
post #25 of 38
Thread Starter 

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, it has definitely helped me out a great deal.

I think I may order both the a900x and the dt770 pro 250s with my discount and just keep the ones I like better. I'd like to test the 990s but I don't know of any place I can get them from without losing out on restocking fees or shipping.

I think I get the gist of their sound profiles but any comparison of the sound stage between the dt770, dt990, and a900x? How do they compare to each other? Noticeably different, relatively the same, twice as big? I ask this question in regards to my gaming preference.

post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, it has definitely helped me out a great deal.

I think I may order both the a900x and the dt770 pro 250s with my discount and just keep the ones I like better. I'd like to test the 990s but I don't know of any place I can get them from without losing out on restocking fees or shipping.

I think I get the gist of their sound profiles but any comparison of the sound stage between the dt770, dt990, and a900x? How do they compare to each other? Noticeably different, relatively the same, twice as big? I ask this question in regards to my gaming preference.


I think the Beyerdynamics are semi-open, so most probably they'll have a better soundstage.

post #27 of 38

the dt 770 pro 250 ohm is closed

post #28 of 38
Thread Starter 

Okay so I'm going to go ahead and buy the A900x and dt770-250 and see which I prefer.

If I choose the dt770, any amp below $100 that you recommend? Preferably one that will still allow me to use the audio processing on a soundcard. I was considering an fiio E10  but then that means the DAC will bypass the soundcard and I will receive only two channel audio, correct? I would like to use the simulated 5.1/7.1 audio when gaming which is normally handled by the sound card.

Edit: I just stumbled across the FiiO E09K, would that better suite my needs? Seems as if I want the DAC later, I could pick up the E17. If not, I can go ahead with my plans of getting a sound card. If you agree, again, is there anything else within my price range that you believe I would be better off with?


Edited by Breaker - 1/17/13 at 11:23pm
post #29 of 38

Plus I just saw that the E10s went back up to 75 dollars. Not that they're bad at that price, but at 50 it was a steal. 

 

I don't have any experience with it but maybe a BB Cmoy from JDS or something like that? 

post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post

Okay so I'm going to go ahead and buy the A900x and dt770-250 and see which I prefer.


If I choose the dt770, any amp below $100 that you recommend? Preferably one that will still allow me to use the audio processing on a soundcard. I was considering an fiio E10  but then that means the DAC will bypass the soundcard and I will receive only two channel audio, correct? I would like to use the simulated 5.1/7.1 audio when gaming which is normally handled by the sound card.


Edit: I just stumbled across the FiiO E09K, would that better suite my needs? Seems as if I want the DAC later, I could pick up the E17. If not, I can go ahead with my plans of getting a sound card. If you agree, again, is there anything else within my price range that you believe I would be better off with?

E9 is a fine choice; was going to suggest it before you found it. smily_headphones1.gif

What soundcard do you have though? It might be able to do this all by itself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Help Choosing Sub $400 Over Ear Headphones From Bestbuy - Sub $250 If Elsewhere