Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need your recommendation for a 200 dollar headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need your recommendation for a 200 dollar headphone

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a 200 dollars headphone. I did some researches in the forum. Seems like hd600/650, dt880/990 and k701/702 are popular options. Personally I like the look of dt880 pro a lot. 

I will use it for pop/rock musics and movies. Had a sr80 before. Like the sound but felt a bit fatigue after half an hour listening. Also hope to get a bigger soundstage from the new headphone. Also owned an ER 4p, hate it because there was no bass. So please don't recommend me any thing sounds like er 4 (I know a lot of people love that sound). 

I am in Boston. Hope to find a place where I can actually audit some of headphones. If you have a clue, please tell me!!!

 

Best,

treeinsc

post #2 of 7

Heya,

 

Look into:

 

Beyer DT880

Hifiman HE-300 r2

Sennheiser HD600

Sony MA900

 

For your price range, I think the DT880 or HE300 would be the best to squeeze in. You can find used HE300 r2's for $150.

 

I don't think you'd like the K701/2, based on how you described what you don't want (something with anemic shy bass representation).

 

Very best,

post #3 of 7

I've found the 701's to have louder bass than the 880 with similar levels of extension. The only thing is that both of those headphones are $230+ even on sale. Some models of the 880 go for $320 still (600ohm). Under $200 you might check out the AT50's. Heard glowing reviews of them but for 'natural' bass, translated as not boomy.
 

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodhifi View Post

I've found the 701's to have louder bass than the 880 with similar levels of extension..
 

 

Interesting.

 

I most definitely did not have that experience and I have all of those.

 

The K701's mid-bass is lost in a void.

The DT880's mid-bass is actually slightly enhanced above neutral, it has a little warm hump.

Both extend well into sub-bass.

 

Very best,

post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

 

Interesting.

 

I most definitely did not have that experience and I have all of those.

 

The K701's mid-bass is lost in a void.

The DT880's mid-bass is actually slightly enhanced above neutral, it has a little warm hump.

Both extend well into sub-bass.

 

Very best,

 

I was talking about the Q701, it has a slightly different profile than the K701, it wasn't just a rebrand.


My observations are echoed in the frequency plots. You can see the 701's have up to +4db over the 880 from 25hz to 100hz.

 

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeinsc View Post

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a 200 dollars headphone. I did some researches in the forum. Seems like hd600/650, dt880/990 and k701/702 are popular options. Personally I like the look of dt880 pro a lot. 

I will use it for pop/rock musics and movies. Had a sr80 before. Like the sound but felt a bit fatigue after half an hour listening. Also hope to get a bigger soundstage from the new headphone. Also owned an ER 4p, hate it because there was no bass. So please don't recommend me any thing sounds like er 4 (I know a lot of people love that sound). 

I am in Boston. Hope to find a place where I can actually audit some of headphones. If you have a clue, please tell me!!!

 

Best,

treeinsc

 

 

I think you'll like the HD600.

They handle soft rock really well, but if you are into aggressive genres look elsewhere. 

post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodhifi View Post

 

I was talking about the Q701, it has a slightly different profile than the K701, it wasn't just a rebrand.


My observations are echoed in the frequency plots. You can see the 701's have up to +4db over the 880 from 25hz to 100hz.

 

 

Heya,

 

I have all three.

 

The DT880 sounds bassier than the Q701 even.

 

Different ears I guess.

 

Very best,

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need your recommendation for a 200 dollar headphone