- 3 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 1/14/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 1/14/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 1/14/13
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 1/14/13
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Your thoughts on a few phones Last post on 2/16/13 at 4:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- You're my only hope... Last post on 12/5/12 at 1:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First time buying new headphones. HELP PLEASE :) Last post on 10/28/12 at 12:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Rock, Gaming and TV Steams - Asus Xonar STX - Which Headphones? Last post on 10/3/12 at 4:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for opera within sub $400 price range with sub $350 amp/dac combo Last post on 9/30/12 at 7:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
The ATH-m50 is my first ever headphone, not including the $2 ear-buds of course. Before the m50, I was just listening to ear-buds and didn't have much affection for music reproduction. However,...
I love these. I have BeatsPro, Monster Inspiration and these blow them away! They are super comfortable and I can hear the nuances of all sounds.
These are my go-to set of headphones and I could have them on for 4-5h without fatigue or discomfort. I love the sound signature but understand it's not for everyone. Highs: Clean, detailed,...
Having a V-Moda Crossfade LP2 for a while now and very impressed with its sound quality and comfort as closed-back headphones, I was looking for a set of open-backs for certain genres of music that...
As a budget closed-back set of headphones, I think they are not bad. The treble is rolled off quite a bit, which is not great in regard to clarity, but good in reducing fatigue on long sessions....
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Beyer DT880 or DT990?
DT880 being the more neutral of the two, while the 990 has more bass.
HD598 are great with gaming, as are the Beyer's. Has the least amount of bass of the three. Coming from zero experience with higher end headphones, I'm sure you'll be impressed with either one :)
AKG Q701 would be another good option. They may be the best option for you because they are the most balanced headphones I listed here. Bass isn't too strong, but unlike the 598's I can still enjoy the amount of bass they give me.
Keep in mind that these are just my opinions. It's always best to go out and listen to these headphones yourself to decide what best for you.
Sony MDR-V6 and /thread
Oh you're still here?
The V6 is
easy to drive
has great bass
is very musical
is closed backed so you can go loud without disturbing people
is closed backed so people don't disturb you
is cheap at $70
is well built and will survive many gaming sessions
Sounds great on an Iphone with no EQ
Looks totally boss
are hard as hell to drive especially the 880
are open backed so you will upset your significant other
are expensive as hell but worth it if you know what you're buying
are comfortable for long wearing periods
lack bass response but have deep bass extension
are bright with an extended silky smooth upper range
The K/Q 701's
are hard as hell to drive but easier than the beyerdynamics
are open backed so you will upset your dog
are expensive as hell but mostly worth it if you know what you're buying
are a little less comfortable than the beyerdynamics
have decent bass response and extension
sound good without eq
are the undisputed king of the midrange in this lineup of your choices
see my review, in battlefield 3 it hurt my ears to get shot at, they are that good
are bright with a pronounced midrange
require extensive break in and the sound will change by the minute the first 10 hours or so of use.
- New Headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001 40 seconds ago
- › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! 1 minute ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and ATH-MSR7LTD 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 6 minutes ago
- › Tokyo 2014 Autumn Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival Impressions 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by alexau123
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by jehovahluvsme
- › V-MODA LP2 by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by M-Techn1k
- › Sony MDR-XD200 Stereo Headphones by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphones by vincik
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by vincik
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Frank I
- › Viva Egoista Amplifier by Frank I
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)