- 3 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by System, 1/14/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 1/14/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250 Ohmtagged by System, 1/14/13
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 1/14/13
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Your thoughts on a few phones Last post on 2/16/13 at 4:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- You're my only hope... Last post on 12/5/12 at 1:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First time buying new headphones. HELP PLEASE :) Last post on 10/28/12 at 12:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Rock, Gaming and TV Steams - Asus Xonar STX - Which Headphones? Last post on 10/3/12 at 4:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for opera within sub $400 price range with sub $350 amp/dac combo Last post on 9/30/12 at 7:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Beyer DT880 or DT990?
DT880 being the more neutral of the two, while the 990 has more bass.
HD598 are great with gaming, as are the Beyer's. Has the least amount of bass of the three. Coming from zero experience with higher end headphones, I'm sure you'll be impressed with either one :)
AKG Q701 would be another good option. They may be the best option for you because they are the most balanced headphones I listed here. Bass isn't too strong, but unlike the 598's I can still enjoy the amount of bass they give me.
Keep in mind that these are just my opinions. It's always best to go out and listen to these headphones yourself to decide what best for you.
Sony MDR-V6 and /thread
Oh you're still here?
The V6 is
easy to drive
has great bass
is very musical
is closed backed so you can go loud without disturbing people
is closed backed so people don't disturb you
is cheap at $70
is well built and will survive many gaming sessions
Sounds great on an Iphone with no EQ
Looks totally boss
are hard as hell to drive especially the 880
are open backed so you will upset your significant other
are expensive as hell but worth it if you know what you're buying
are comfortable for long wearing periods
lack bass response but have deep bass extension
are bright with an extended silky smooth upper range
The K/Q 701's
are hard as hell to drive but easier than the beyerdynamics
are open backed so you will upset your dog
are expensive as hell but mostly worth it if you know what you're buying
are a little less comfortable than the beyerdynamics
have decent bass response and extension
sound good without eq
are the undisputed king of the midrange in this lineup of your choices
see my review, in battlefield 3 it hurt my ears to get shot at, they are that good
are bright with a pronounced midrange
require extensive break in and the sound will change by the minute the first 10 hours or so of use.
- New Headphones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New guy, looking for suggestions sub $250 (Not your standard request) 25 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 1 minute ago
- › HD800 Colorware Jet Black with 10' Balanced DHC Molecule Cable 1 minute ago
- › ROCK JAW Testers 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction 1 minute ago
- › The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses. 2 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 4 minutes ago
- › foobar permanently altering flac/m4a files to replaygain 4 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)