Let's say one side of the headphones is not working. Usually the problem is with the jack and it needs to be replaced. but what if the actually cause is with the driver? how would I know that the voice coil is shorted out? Would it look burnt?
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Advice on portable rig Last post on 11/15/14 at 6:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Good ATH-M50 replacement pads? Last post on 11/8/14 at 11:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 1540 vs Beyerdynamic t51p vs ath-m50 Last post on 11/7/14 at 3:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Any suggestions for comfortable headphones? Last post on 10/27/14 at 12:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Cant decide on headphones Last post on 11/17/14 at 8:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION The first I heard about RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) was a thread on Head-Fi calling for...
FIIO'S E11K KILIMANJARO 2 INTRODUCTION Fiio is a Chinese maker of audio equipment that has become well known for offering good gear at highly competitive prices. With a lineup of...
AKG K3003 is an important milestone in the development of IEM. It’s THE FIRST universal fit IEM that successfully combines dynamic driver and balance armature technology together. After owning them...
Had this little player for sometime now recently purchased the X1 and comparing them both im still sold on the DX50 although I still like my X1 but I still find the sound seperation on the DX50...
Disclaimer: I received this unit for review purpose as a part of the Australasian tour. The unit is owned by Paul (Brooko). Thank you for making this happen. Summary: This is the...
How to tell if voice coil is shorted out in headphone driver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Get a $10 multimeter that measures ohms and continuity. Check the connector male plug to see if you can complete a circuit. If not pop out the driver and test again directly on the back. If no circuit, it's blown a voicecoil. If you get a circuit but the driver doesn't produce sound, it is likely damaged or the voicecoil has popped out of the center and may need to be carefully re-seated.
If you want to do the ghetto non voltmeter tests I used to use as a kid, replace the voltmeter with a 1.5volt battery. If you hold wires to either end of the battery and touch them to the driver, it should move.
Great tip btw to see if your speakers are in phase, they should move the same direction (out) when attatching + to +
Edited by Kodhifi - 1/14/13 at 9:24am
- How to tell if voice coil is shorted out in headphone driver
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 37 seconds ago
- › Broken Grado drivers 58 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Digital Interface 2 minutes ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 4 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 5 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FXT100, HA-FXT200, HA-FXT200 LTD HI-SPEED 5 minutes ago
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MrTechAgent
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)