Let's say one side of the headphones is not working. Usually the problem is with the jack and it needs to be replaced. but what if the actually cause is with the driver? how would I know that the voice coil is shorted out? Would it look burnt?
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Need Cable Reccomendation for DIY Headphone Cable.. Last post on 5/22/15 at 8:55am in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Burning in Kef M500? Last post on 2/24/15 at 7:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shootout - Entry to Mid-range Full Size Cans - Feat. ATH-M50, HD 558, and HE-400 Last post on 2/23/15 at 7:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M-50 vs. Onkyo ES FC-300 vs KRK KNS 8400 Last post on 2/15/15 at 7:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- I need cheap bluetooth recommendations Last post on 3/13/15 at 8:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Pros: Comfort, build quality, sub-bass quality, multiple sound tunings. Cons: Shouty upper mids Tonal Balance: Warm to balanced depending on ports. Style: Closed over-ear Listening...
The T40rp mark 2 is a very fine headphone. My first impression's of them where positive although your ears might take a while to get use to the very unique sound signature. They are very well...
You gonna get an amp now? ...or wait? o.k., you gonna wait? keep...
After years of not getting anything new, the Lyra was my first earphones that I would classify as high end. I got it before my CDM and one thing really lead to another. Made by Campfire...
Introduction: Peter Wong Audio is a Hong Kong based brand, and Peter, Ceo of th company, offers many different products such as mini to mini and IEM cables, several adapters, interconnects and...
How to tell if voice coil is shorted out in headphone driver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Get a $10 multimeter that measures ohms and continuity. Check the connector male plug to see if you can complete a circuit. If not pop out the driver and test again directly on the back. If no circuit, it's blown a voicecoil. If you get a circuit but the driver doesn't produce sound, it is likely damaged or the voicecoil has popped out of the center and may need to be carefully re-seated.
If you want to do the ghetto non voltmeter tests I used to use as a kid, replace the voltmeter with a 1.5volt battery. If you hold wires to either end of the battery and touch them to the driver, it should move.
Great tip btw to see if your speakers are in phase, they should move the same direction (out) when attatching + to +
Edited by Kodhifi - 1/14/13 at 9:24am
- How to tell if voice coil is shorted out in headphone driver
- › V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Pre-Sale $150 Voucher, Video,... 29 seconds ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015! 1 minute ago
- › Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution?... 2 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 3 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › ZMF x Vibro by keanex
- › FOSTEX T40RP mkII DJ Headphones by JVC steven
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by Hawaiibadboy
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by tassardar
- › PW Audio Legend II v2 Copper IEM Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Xiaomi Mi Headphone by MrTechAgent
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Hisoundfi
- › Project Horizon 3 by Army-Firedawg
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by grizzlybeast
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by nauhid
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2