Let's say one side of the headphones is not working. Usually the problem is with the jack and it needs to be replaced. but what if the actually cause is with the driver? how would I know that the voice coil is shorted out? Would it look burnt?
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Broken Audio Technica M50's cable- HELP Last post on 11/25/14 at 12:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Detail level and speed of headphones Last post on Today at 12:03 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- How to move on and up from ATH-M50's? Last post on Today at 4:46 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Advice on portable rig Last post on 11/15/14 at 6:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Good ATH-M50 replacement pads? Last post on 11/8/14 at 11:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
How to tell if voice coil is shorted out in headphone driver
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Get a $10 multimeter that measures ohms and continuity. Check the connector male plug to see if you can complete a circuit. If not pop out the driver and test again directly on the back. If no circuit, it's blown a voicecoil. If you get a circuit but the driver doesn't produce sound, it is likely damaged or the voicecoil has popped out of the center and may need to be carefully re-seated.
If you want to do the ghetto non voltmeter tests I used to use as a kid, replace the voltmeter with a 1.5volt battery. If you hold wires to either end of the battery and touch them to the driver, it should move.
Great tip btw to see if your speakers are in phase, they should move the same direction (out) when attatching + to +
Edited by Kodhifi - 1/14/13 at 9:24am
- How to tell if voice coil is shorted out in headphone driver
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 33 seconds ago
- › Doodlebug - USB Isolator 54 seconds ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › Has anybody seen this comfort mod kit for Grado headphones? 6 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Searching for an upgrade from the Sony MDR-ZX100 (for rock and gaming) 7 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)