Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Do you hear the difference? (take the 128kbps / 320kbps test)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do you hear the difference? (take the 128kbps / 320kbps test) - Page 2

post #16 of 25

If I recall correctly, some problems were found in this test, the files are not level matched (the higher bitrate versions are slightly louder), and people could also tell which file is being played without even listening to any actual differences in the compression because the high bitrate files simply take longer time to load. normal_smile%20.gif

post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 View Post

the high bitrate files simply take longer time to load. normal_smile%20.gif

wink.gif Indeed they do, and that was part of the test and my thread to see who worked it out first. The 320kbps file take longer to begin and that is a dead give away, once you get the timing right after a few tests prior you can pick it everytime.

And for that you win........

One free 128kbps song download of your choice.. PM me to redeem your prize.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 1/15/13 at 2:47am
post #18 of 25

There's my score

I think it was the same song that got me (think it was Hard lovin' womanbut I'm actually surprised at what I got. beyersmile.png My full rig isn't up and running yet (still waiting for DAC and amp, I guess on-board will have to do) so I'll re-take the test then (even though it might not be much of a factor)

As for loading time, well I knew that would be a factor but I only thought of that at the end of the 10 trialseek.gif


Edited by SoundPon3 - 1/15/13 at 5:01am
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistrDave View Post

I'd like to see a 320 kbps vs WAV.

I was thinking about posting some level matched files for a 128 vs 320 vs lossless blind test, using 3 different styles of music.

 

Would anyone else be interested?

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

I was thinking about posting some level matched files for a 128 vs 320 vs lossless blind test, using 3 different styles of music.

 

Would anyone else be interested?

Yes, this test was rubbish. If we have a high concentration of willing guinea pigs around here, why not take advantage of it? 

post #21 of 25

I'm preparing some files now... 

 

So far I've got : One all acoustic bluegrass song, one fairly heavily layered ambient glitch song, and now I'm looking for something fairly simple with not a lot of loudness going on, and without an audible tape hiss.

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


wink.gif Indeed they do, and that was part of the test and my thread to see who worked it out first. The 320kbps file take longer to begin and that is a dead give away, once you get the timing right after a few tests prior you can pick it everytime.

And for that you win........

One free 128kbps song download of your choice.. PM me to redeem your prize.

I thought it was the software giving off a delay, I tried alternating fast between the ABX and there was a delay, so I gave it a second to load, is the delay a characteristic of lower bitrate?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 View Post

I'm preparing some files now... 

 

So far I've got : One all acoustic bluegrass song, one fairly heavily layered ambient glitch song, and now I'm looking for something fairly simple with not a lot of loudness going on, and without an audible tape hiss.

how about some heavy metal? something fast and crazy

post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

I thought it was the software giving off a delay, I tried alternating fast between the ABX and there was a delay, so I gave it a second to load, is the delay a characteristic of lower bitrate?

 

how about some heavy metal? something fast and crazy

Sorry, closest thing I have is some fairly heavy prog rock. And it's got some tape hiss.

 

I'm trying to avoid anything with tape hiss so people can judge off the musical content itself rather than the tone of the background noise.

 

EDIT: OK, found a nice acoustic bit. 

 

EDIT2: Finished setting it up! http://www.head-fi.org/t/646411/lossless-vs-128kbps-mp3-vs-320kbps-mp3-blind-test


Edited by chewy4 - 1/15/13 at 5:37pm
post #24 of 25

This is super easy. Do the songs ever change? I keep getting the same 3. 100% for 7/7 but just got repeats.

post #25 of 25

Hmm, to eliminate the longer delay with the higher bitrate sample both MP3s should be decoded to PCM/WAV and presented this way, identical delay...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › Do you hear the difference? (take the 128kbps / 320kbps test)