So a few months ago, I was set on ordering the Panasonic HTF-600s. I was listening to mostly bass-centric, electronic music and the 600s seemed like they could fulfill my needs. While I still listen to a fair amount of electronic music, I believe my preferred sound signature has changed along with my music interests. I'm now wondering if the bass of the 600s will be too much and there clarity I desire won't be there. Can anyone help me out in my decision? Are the HTF-600s the right choice or should i look for a more balanced sounding pair of full size cans? Thanks.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
- productDENON AH-D1001S Silvertagged by System, 1/14/13
- productPanasonic RP-HTF600-S Step Monitortagged by System, 1/14/13
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 1/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 4/6/14 at 7:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- mom looking for gift for 11 yr old Last post on 7/22/13 at 6:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Searching for headphones under $150USD for home use! Last post on 12/26/12 at 6:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- **Best HP's for the money** Last post on 12/1/12 at 7:22am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
Are The HTF-600s right for me?post #1 of 141/13/13 at 10:00pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 141/13/13 at 10:09pmpost #3 of 141/13/13 at 10:39pmThread Starterpost #4 of 141/14/13 at 7:44am
The panasonics have a bit more bass but the actual sound quality is a lot better on the CAL. The Panasonics are good for £30 but the sound quality is still not very good compared to the CAL or better headphones... The HTF600 sound grainy and not very refined or detailed at all.post #5 of 141/14/13 at 11:18ampost #6 of 141/19/13 at 5:44pmThread StarterCan the HTF-600's be compared to likes of phones such as the Ultrasone HFI-580 or AT M50? Many, especially dsnuts, raved about them and claimed they competed with headphones way above their tier. I'm curious to know how far above their price range they can compete.post #7 of 141/19/13 at 6:45pm
For $30 they are a great deal, they are fun sounding phones, but not the most detailed or resolving. I like the extra bass it gives rock music a bit more punch. What is your budget?post #8 of 141/19/13 at 6:51pmThread Starter
Right now its ~$50 but I'd definitely be willing to wait a little longer to get a nicer set of cans. I think $120 would be the most I could spend any time soon. Especially since I'll be leaving for college soon. I just wanted something cheap and fast because I'm dying without a nice listening device.post #9 of 141/19/13 at 7:49pmQuote:
Basically no they can't.... I am not sure how you could really think that....
The HTF 600 are good for < £40.... They have a nice soundstage and the overall sound signature is quite pleasant....
Other then that they are really not that good sounding, grainy, low detail, poor refinement etc.
Also the build quality and comfort / materials are very cheap...
Basically they are good for the money, one of the best at that price... But they definately are not better than headphones costing more, for example the CAL! have much better sound quality at £60 although they are not perfect either. For £100 you can get headphones that are a lot better quality than the HTF-600...
Good headphones for the money, nothing more.post #10 of 141/19/13 at 10:59pmThread Starter
Here's where my question came from.
Ok, so I have a pair of RP-HTF600-S's on my head right now, and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, this $30 headphone is constructed like a $150+ headphone, and sounds like one too. I'm actually completely puzzled and pleasantly surprised. It's a smooth warm headphone, definitely a "V" shape, but so are all those headphones it would compete with (M50, HFI580, etc). The bass actually comes close to the XB500 in terms of it's ability to just slam you. I just ran some Sierra Hull and then some Dub to test range. By the way, it has an impressive sound stage. These angled 50mm drivers with some vents along the top actually make it sound like a semi-open headphone while being closed (though honestly it is technically a semi-open headphone called a closed headphone, you can clearly hear through it and from it, like a semi-open--the vents make it semi-open in my book.post #11 of 141/19/13 at 11:38pmpost #12 of 141/20/13 at 3:06pm
But if you read his later comments he says that is is actually quite grainy with poor refinement etc.
The sound quality is not as good as the more expensive headphones but they are very good for less than £40.post #13 of 141/20/13 at 3:07pmpost #14 of 142/26/13 at 6:14pm
I received my HTF600's today, and they have a very nice sound. I don't think they are bass heavy at all.
One thing I was expecting though, was more ear space(depth and room). I was told they have more ear space than the Superlux HD681, so I chose the HTF600. I plan to order the new HD681 EVO, due out the first week of March, and see how ear space compares to these.
- Are The HTF-600s right for me?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › [DIY] Takstar Pro 80 - Removable cable mod. 44 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 5 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5 Headphone Amp - MINT Condition 5 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 6 minutes ago
- › PRICE DROP - Headstage Arrow G4 - Portable headphone amp 7 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 9 minutes ago
- › Westone 4 Appreciation Thread and Reviews (a.k.a. Westone 4 ?) 9 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Woodify a Sony Mdr-7506 10 minutes ago
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob