Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Denon AH-D5000 + Fiio E7/E9 Combo - 3.55mm or 6.35mm jack?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon AH-D5000 + Fiio E7/E9 Combo - 3.55mm or 6.35mm jack?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

I've been trying to find my answer to this and whilst there has been some mention of it, I can't seem to find the definitive answer.

 

I have the Denon AH-D5000 and use them with the Fiio E7/E9 Combo. The question is should I be plugging them into the 3.5mm jack or the 6.35mm jack? I don't quite understand the whole output impedance issue.

 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

 

Mark

post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwilliamsweb View Post

I've been trying to find my answer to this and whilst there has been some mention of it, I can't seem to find the definitive answer.

I have the Denon AH-D5000 and use them with the Fiio E7/E9 Combo. The question is should I be plugging them into the 3.5mm jack or the 6.35mm jack? I don't quite understand the whole output impedance issue.

I believe the Fiio E7's headphone jack has a lower impedance then the two headphone jacks on the E9.

So I'm guessing plugging the (25-Ohm) Denon AH-D5000 into the E7 might give you the best audio quality.

post #3 of 9

use e7 alone as the d5k do not need much amping anyways.... if you have to use e9 then use the 6.35mm jack as it has lower impedence...

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 

Super, thanks for the help guys. 

 

One thing I find is that the headphones when plugged into the E9 become a little more dynamic. However they do also become a tad bright for my liking. Where as I don't have that problem in the E7. All in all though I think the E7 does give a more pleasing sound over more genres of music and I can always pump up the bass if needed.

post #5 of 9

The E9 shouldn't be used with low-impedance headphones such as the D5000s. With the 3.5 mm jack, the output impedance is ~40 ohms. With the 6.35 mm jack, it's 10 ohms. Both are too high. There's really no point using it at all. The E7 on its own is a better option. If you prefer the sound, that's another matter perhaps, but it's not accurate.

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks spaark.

 

I just don't quite understand how headphones to amps impedance works, so I'm going to get my backside learning it.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwilliamsweb View Post

Thanks spaark.

 

I just don't quite understand how headphones to amps impedance works, so I'm going to get my backside learning it.

It's preferred to have the impedance (Ohms) of the headphones to have at least 8 times the impedance of whatever headphone output jack the headphones are plugged into, for better damping.

So your 25-Ohm headphones (AH-D5000) would work best plugged into a headphone output jack that is 3-Ohms or less (otherwise you get problems, like a bloated bass).

The E9 jacks are 40-Ohm and 10-Ohm.

The Fiio E7 jack is around 1-Ohm.

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

It's preferred to have the impedance (Ohms) of the headphones to have at least 8 times the impedance of whatever headphone output jack the headphones are plugged into, for better damping.

So your 25-Ohm headphones (AH-D5000) would work best plugged into a headphone output jack that is 3-Ohms or less (otherwise you get problems, like a bloated bass).

The E9 jacks are 40-Ohm and 10-Ohm.

The Fiio E7 jack is around 1-Ohm.

Ah right, good tip thanks.

 

When you say the output jack should have 3-Ohms or less, does that refer to the Output Impedance? In which case the E7 manual says it is 0.3OHMS. Have I got that correct?

 

Thanks

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwilliamsweb View Post

Ah right, good tip thanks.

 

When you say the output jack should have 3-Ohms or less, does that refer to the Output Impedance? In which case the E7 manual says it is 0.3OHMS. Have I got that correct?

 

Thanks

Output impedance sounds like a good description to use for what I've been talking about.

I assumed the E7 output impedance is under 1-Ohm (guess it's 0.3-Ohms), but I just say 1-Ohm as it's close enough and easy to remember.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Denon AH-D5000 + Fiio E7/E9 Combo - 3.55mm or 6.35mm jack?