Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Does anyone have experience with the Kef LS50?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does anyone have experience with the Kef LS50? - Page 7

post #91 of 200

I am thinking of buying the demo pair from a lcoal shop and building a pair of NCore amps for them. Only problem is I can't get them far enough from the wall to be ideal. I'd have to plug the rear ports.

post #92 of 200

Hi,

 

Long time no contact you...

 

Well more than 3~4 friends using LS50 and they told me...

 

1. No1 speaker for small room

1. No1 speaker under $2000.

 

:-)

 

 

 

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ko&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ko&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.naver.com%2Fcayin%3FRedirect%3DLog%26logNo%3D110164166512

 

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ko&sl=ko&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgonggamgear.tistory.com%2F37

 

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ko&sl=ko&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.daum.net%2Fcool2848%2F15829769

post #93 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

I am thinking of buying the demo pair from a lcoal shop and building a pair of NCore amps for them. Only problem is I can't get them far enough from the wall to be ideal. I'd have to plug the rear ports.

A friend bought these recently and I was able to hear them at his house.  He has a decent source and amplification, and even though the speakers weren't ideally positioned in the room, they were still impressive.  Went deeper than I would expect for a small speaker.  I would love to hear them with a high end source / amplification - expect they would scale quite well.

 

With boundary reinforcement, having them close to the wall with the ports plugged might actually result in a fairly neutral bass.  But you might lose a bit of the magic that makes a good bookshelf speaker disappear when it is placed further out in the room.  I guess audio (like life) is full of compromises.

 

Be warned.  My friend hardly listens to his headphones anymore....


Edited by Hi Rez - 8/1/13 at 10:24pm
post #94 of 200

Resurrecting this thread a bit, but I just got a old Peachtree iNova off of Audiogon as a DAC/headphone amp/speak amp combo. Was considering getting the KEF LS50 for near field use -- would the Peachtree be powerful enough? It seems like some tests online have a similar set-up and the OP seems to suggest that it would work... would I be missing out on anything or would that likely work?

post #95 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

Resurrecting this thread a bit, but I just got a old Peachtree iNova off of Audiogon as a DAC/headphone amp/speak amp combo. Was considering getting the KEF LS50 for near field use -- would the Peachtree be powerful enough? It seems like some tests online have a similar set-up and the OP seems to suggest that it would work... would I be missing out on anything or would that likely work?

 

That would be a great combination.   I have an iNova and a pair of LS50's.   They work together great.

 

iNova's are a real bargain now since the Nova128 came out and dropped the price.   I prefer the features and certainly the AB amp of the iNova over the class d Nova128. 

post #96 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodet View Post

 

That would be a great combination.   I have an iNova and a pair of LS50's.   They work together great.

 

iNova's are a real bargain now since the Nova128 came out and dropped the price.   I prefer the features and certainly the AB amp of the iNova over the class d Nova128. 

 

Good to know. They have enough power? That would be a great and simple set-up for me.

post #97 of 200

I'm planning on getting a pair as well, anyone have any stand recommendations? Are the stands important, does it affect SQ?

post #98 of 200

I use skylan two-posters. 

 

http://www.skylanstands.com

post #99 of 200

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my surround setup with 5 LS50 but am a little at a loss as to what would be a reasonable AVR to power them with?

post #100 of 200

Kef are discontinuing this and replacing it with a non-anniversary model that's more or less the same design wise but possibly less glitzy aesthetically, so get it now if you're on the fence.

post #101 of 200

interesting - I would actually prefer the membrane in darker color instead of the copper.

post #102 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnambulist View Post

Kef are discontinuing this and replacing it with a non-anniversary model that's more or less the same design wise but possibly less glitzy aesthetically, so get it now if you're on the fence.

 

Where did you get this info and do you have any more details?  

 

Like maybe when? 

post #103 of 200

If I am to write a review of LS50 here, I am worried that it will fly them all off shelves in a flash. I have heard LS50 that sounds terrible and totally unacceptable though. Those who sold them can be understood perfectly. They can sound no bass, over bloated bass or shrilling trebles with bad power/source/amp/stand/wiring. They are too revealing.

post #104 of 200

Sharing is caring biggrin.gif, at the very minimum you should post a in-depth impression of the LS50. But with the lack of bass part, I think all bookshelves are missing the lower frequencies that are ever so prominent in pop, rock, electronic genres. A subwoofer addition is needed to give the full range experience.

post #105 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer78 View Post

Sharing is caring biggrin.gif, at the very minimum you should post a in-depth impression of the LS50. But with the lack of bass part, I think all bookshelves are missing the lower frequencies that are ever so prominent in pop, rock, electronic genres. A subwoofer addition is needed to give the full range experience.


Yes Sir. I have little patience to post in depth, but glad to answer any query. Most of the reviews can be found in the internet. Not sure what can I say in addition.

 

As for the bass, they can be very adequate. I found no need to plug in my sub, maybe I listen to mostly vocal. I do prefer the vibrating lows of orchestra music in my other speakers, but I don't need them. LS50 is good enough for the low-end, only after many hours of run-in. Properly and carefully set up, they can sound as satisfying as Raidho D1, IMO.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Does anyone have experience with the Kef LS50?