Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Discrete DAC Under $300/Recomendation?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Discrete DAC Under $300/Recomendation? - Page 2

post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
It's like" the size of an iPad mini
post #17 of 27
Are you able to DIY? Many projects worth considering if you can handle the solder station.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

I'm looking for a much larger unit, to stack my Little Dot MKii ontop of, sorry!

 

why not stack the dacport on top of the little dot?

theres also the $99 schiit dac

post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Knight View Post

Are you able to DIY? Many projects worth considering if you can handle the solder station.

I can DIy if needed, if it's not too complex, and there are instructions smily_headphones1.gif
post #20 of 27

As you don't mind DIY so long as there are instructions, I have a project (slowly) going on here for building your own discrete (no opamp) NOS DAC based on Lite DAC-AH. Is the DAC-AH case the correct size for your stack?

 

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9121-The-Ozone-layer-modding-the-Lite-DAC-AH

post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapientiam View Post

As you don't mind DIY so long as there are instructions, I have a project (slowly) going on here for building your own discrete (no opamp) NOS DAC based on Lite DAC-AH. Is the DAC-AH case the correct size for your stack?

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9121-The-Ozone-layer-modding-the-Lite-DAC-AH

The NoS scares me a bit, as it's not the latest and greatest. I'm sure it's grea,t but my mind won't allow me to buy it frown.gif
post #22 of 27

This is the latest NOS DAC - built for sound quality but has good measurements too - better frequency response flatness and better HF distortion. Don't confuse 'NOS = no oversampling' with 'Nos = New old stock'.

post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapientiam View Post

This is the latest NOS DAC - built for sound quality but has good measurements too - better frequency response flatness and better HF distortion. Don't confuse 'NOS = no oversampling' with 'Nos = New old stock'.

OH! Makes sense. Project seams complex though! Haha is the gamma2 an easy build?
post #24 of 27

Agreed, its not for the faint hearted DIYer. Dunno about the gamma2.

post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 
I'm thinking DACMagic by Cambridge, but I thinks it's out of budget. Tubemagic D2 looks good too, but, I hear it's only worth it with the OPAMP upgrade, and Thad put me at $289. A bit too much. This seams to be a bad price point, at about 350 there's the bitfrost, the DACMagic, gamma2 built, a few AudioGD's. At 150, there are a bunch of Amp/Dacs, and the Odac. At $250, there's nothing lol. Only thing I really have found is the non upgraded D2...


Any help is greatly appreciated
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
Bumpity bump bump... Sorry... Had to do it haha. Still dont know what to dooooo!

Thinking:
Audio GD NFB q5.32
Maverick D2
Gamma2, but prolly a bit out of price range
post #27 of 27
DacMagic plus gets my vote
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Discrete DAC Under $300/Recomendation?