Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Sennheiser 5X8ShortCable (with 3.5mm plug) now available for HD-5x8 owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser 5X8ShortCable (with 3.5mm plug) now available for HD-5x8 owners - Page 2

post #16 of 33

THANK YOU very much sir you are a savior! my eternal gratitude!

post #17 of 33

Oh man would this cable transform these headphones for me untill i can upgrade to the 650s, i hate the cable on the 518s its a stupid selling point for a medium class open back headphone, it might be decent if these were good for DJing but there not.

post #18 of 33

Just found a nice cable on Ebay, they have this cable in 1.2m, 1.5 and 1.8, i got the 1.8 so i still had some room to move away from my laptop or phone if needed and it only costed $24 to ship to Australia which is awesome, normally around $50 shipping for other things like headphones.

post #19 of 33

For sure it will work electrically BUT, if you look at this (and many other so called Sennheiser cable replacements) bayonet plug that plugs into the headphones you will notice that the 3.5 mm connector barrel only has three discrete contacts versus the 4 that are on the original Sennheiser cable. This means that instead of having two separate two conductor pairs that connect together in the 3.5mm connector at the source, one of each of the conductors in the pair are connected in the headphone socket. So what you say? With a nominal 50 ohm earphone impedance, sharing even a meter of common return wires reduces the channel separation and could increase crosstalk. Maybe not important for you but if you are driving these phones from a no compromise DAC and headphone amp, why risk degrading the sound of these incredible headphones? It would be better to just cut off the plug from the stock cable, make it whatever length you want and then reconnect the wires to a 3.5mm or 1/4" plug so that the two sommon wires are connected there, keeping the headphone wire pairs separate all the way to the headphones. Capice?

post #20 of 33

So essentially (if you want to use them for practical, portable use) they cost $20 more than whatever listing? That's crazy.

post #21 of 33

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just got a pair of these headphones and while looking at either a shorter cable from Senn themselves, or cutting my stock one down, I also wanted to see if anyone had found a decent in-line mic cable. I found this one on ebay that has your typical inline mic used on phones etc.. These are 3 options, first one being apparently for iphones, second HTC, third samsung. 

 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Replacement-cable-with-Remote-Mic-connect-iphone-to-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-/261280639444?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var&hash=item3cd58a29d4&_uhb=1

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cable-Remote-Mic-HTC-Phone-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/310815708172?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item8e14383e14

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Remote-Mic-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/201000873142?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item7476ca54b2

 

My question is twofold, first one being has anyone every tried these ones before? and if so, how was it? It appears this seller has had some good feedback from people around here.

 

Second one being can I use this for minor talk online or should I be getting a dedicated boom mic or desktop mic? I know that the dedicated ones will provide better sound quality, but I don't do competitive gaming or anything, just random FPS and such and talking here and there is nice. 

 

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards cutting my stock one down but looking at the inline mic option as well, cheers


Edited by Thundamonkey - 1/18/14 at 10:42am
post #22 of 33

Sorry to bump this, but found my answer on the mic aspect as it appears it won't work (which was suspected) 

 

My main question at this point is that with these cables that others have mentioned here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var&hash=item3cd404aa4a&_uhb=1

 

there are only two lines on each terminal, whereas the stock Senn ones are 3 are the headphone end. Will this throw off the audio? seller has many reviews for these cables and no one has mentioned them causing issues. He sells 5-10 a day it appears based on the selling history so they are popular, altho ofc that doesn't mean quality.  Thanks


Edited by Thundamonkey - 1/24/14 at 1:26am
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundamonkey View Post
 

Sorry to bump this, but found my answer on the mic aspect as it appears it won't work (which was suspected) 

 

My main question at this point is that with these cables that others have mentioned here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD598-HD558-HD518-Headphone-/261255113290?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var&hash=item3cd404aa4a&_uhb=1

 

there are only two lines on each terminal, whereas the stock Senn ones are 3 are the headphone end. Will this throw off the audio? seller has many reviews for these cables and no one has mentioned them causing issues. He sells 5-10 a day it appears based on the selling history so they are popular, altho ofc that doesn't mean quality.  Thanks

I have this cable and mentioned somewhere else as well that this cable sounds somewhat cleaner and more sterile while the stock cable is more ambient and warm sounding. I prefer the stock ones over this.
No idea if the unbalanced headphone 2.5mm jack is part of the cause.

post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post
 

I have this cable and mentioned somewhere else as well that this cable sounds somewhat cleaner and more sterile while the stock cable is more ambient and warm sounding. I prefer the stock ones over this.
No idea if the unbalanced headphone 2.5mm jack is part of the cause.

So I guess my best course of action would be to cut down my current one and put the 3.5mm end on it? Sorry, never had a set of headphones that had removable cable and only own the 518's and m50s so my knowledge is limited, thanks 

post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundamonkey View Post
 

So I guess my best course of action would be to cut down my current one and put the 3.5mm end on it? Sorry, never had a set of headphones that had removable cable and only own the 518's and m50s so my knowledge is limited, thanks 

there is a shorter one by sennheiser themselves, i forgot how you could order it though.

post #26 of 33

Just ordered online for my HD 598, this will be a big improvement.

post #27 of 33

What were you using previously?

post #28 of 33

I was using the original long cable with 3.5mm adapter.

post #29 of 33

Oh okay, thought you were referring to the headphones themselves.

post #30 of 33

I live in Canada. Is there anywhere online I can order from?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Sennheiser 5X8ShortCable (with 3.5mm plug) now available for HD-5x8 owners