HE-6 for me. The LCD-3s are a close second.
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 1/14/13
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 1/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Who has an end game setup? Last post on 9/7/15 at 10:07pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Upgrade Ideas from Denon AH-D7000 Last post on 11/5/13 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next? Last post on 1/12/13 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Options: Where to go from AKG K 702? Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/31/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Image courtesy of HiFiMan INTRODUCTION The HE400S is HiFiMan's latest offering in the HE400 series of open-back over-ear planar headphones. I first read about them in a teaser email HiFiMan...
King of kings - Page 6
Poll Results: Best headphones to listen different music styles
103 Total Votespost #76 of 781/28/13 at 8:17am
4% (5)Grado Labs GS1000i
33% (35)Sennheiser HD-800
14% (15)Beyerdinamic T1
20% (21)HiFiMAN HE6
26% (27)Audeze LCD2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 782/6/13 at 5:05am
I'll throw in my hat into this debate. Buy used T1 for under 1000. This headphones quite flies under a radar but they are a very good choice. They do not excel at any particular thing but as an overall package they beat LCD2, HE500 and HD800 even though those other headphones are better at some aspects of sound. LCD2 and HE500 lack, compared to T1, what I would call a high frequencies sculpting of the sound, their sound is 'darker'. Listening on the low volume makes them sound even more dark, on low volume listening the music sounds a bit glued together with less separation between the layers of music. T1 has a semi-open design, they isolate a bit better then LCD2 or HE500 so you could crank up the volume a bit more so that the musical instruments and layers of music can be heard better separated. The treble, or the high frequencies, is more prominent on T1 and it helps better to delineate the sound of the instruments, to give a bit better 'air' around them, again, even on low listening level. The early models of T1 had a problem with the overly bright upper mid frequencies, Beyerdynamic tuned the later models to suppress this brightness, production numbers above 4000. Also, pairing T1 with a tube amplifier fixes this problem. HD800 is better in some technical aspects of sound than T1, but not all. It sounds a bit thinner, T1 has better harmonics, more pleasant harmonic series of note frequencies, the notes sound a bit fuller. The big spacial effect of sound of HD800 is good for the classical music with large orchestras but with smaller ensembles or bands the effect makes them sound a bit away from you. If you want to be so to speak more involved and closer to the stage then T1 is a better choice. T1 is not the best in some things like other headphones, but it has no big faults as well. It does all the audio things just well, but together the overall result is very good.
One important thing was forgotten in the debate, T1 are more transportable than other headphones. You cannot put an electrostatic headphones and the big home amplifier into, let's say, a camera bag and take them with you. You can take T1 and a portable amplifier with you. Lisa L3, Alo Audio Continental and RX Mk IIIB [balanced mode only] will drive T1 to its sonic almost heaven. I would say the Continental, the tube and solid state hybrid, is the best choice. The transportability of high end audio equipment is in our days and culture a most important thing, some would say a crucial thing. I think that the package of - 1. sound of T1 plus 2. sounding good with all styles of music plus 3. transportability beats the other headphones, if not on a K.O. then at least on points. Please let us know what was your choice.
Edited by zorin - 2/6/13 at 5:16ampost #78 of 782/6/13 at 3:44pm
I didn't vote because I have only owned the HE-6 on this poll. I can say that it was incredibly clear and strong, though. Bass went low, highs went high, and everything was clear and balanced. It was all I could really ever ask from an audiophile headphone. It worked well for every genre of music I played. That's the joy of a neutral headphone - it plays everything, non-offensively. Of course, if you prefer a different tone, like a darker or brighter headphone, then it stands to reason that you might like experiencing all genres of music with that touch of coloration. If you like a little extra bass, what's the difference if you get a bassier Nero or a bassier Diana Krall? Or maybe it's not so simple as "the LCD-3 makes Diana Krall bassier than it should be," so much as it's more like, "the LCD-3 lets me pay closer attention to, and enjoy, the bass in Diana Krall, more than an HD800 would."
If the others on the list are superior to the HE-6, I don't really know. It was pretty near pristine to me.
- King of kings
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Audeze's The King Headphone Amp on Indiegogo for 30 Days 12 seconds ago
- › 2015 CanJam @ RMAF Impressions thread - (October 2-4, 2015) 23 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 49 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › A Brief Guide to Audio for the Skeptical Consumer 1 minute ago
- › Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (8:CT6E, 7:H8P, 6:JH13,... 1 minute ago
- › Best over-the-ear, comfortable headphones up to $100? 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here. 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › AURALiC Vega 2 minutes ago
- › RHA T20 by RedTwilight
- › Brainwavz S3 by thatBeatsguy
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier by GioF71
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by suman134
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by nmatheis
- › Philips SHE3905BK/27 In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Black by Whitigir
- › Music Hall de-be Portable Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by mark2410
- › Fostex TE-07 by HiFiChris
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by sirylj
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2