HE-6 for me. The LCD-3s are a close second.
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
- productbeyerdynamic Tesla T1tagged by System, 1/14/13
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-6 Planar Headphonetagged by System, 1/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 1/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Who has an end game setup? Last post on 6/29/16 at 9:53pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Upgrade Ideas from Denon AH-D7000 Last post on 11/5/13 at 3:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Thinking of selling my LCD-2... what's next? Last post on 1/12/13 at 11:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade Options: Where to go from AKG K 702? Last post on 6/21/13 at 10:36pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
As a music lover who prefers a portable means of listening to music, you might eventually discover that your device can't provide enough power for your IEMs, headphones, or earphones to reach...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Mixcder ShareMe Pro, a Bluetooth headphone created with the aim of bringing listeners together. I was first introduced to...
Preamble: Before I begin with my review, I’d like to take the time to thank Jeongjae from DIGNIS for providing me with a sample of the LAETUS case for the Chord Electronics Mojo DAC-Amp...
Undoubtedly, one of the biggest influences on the audio market was the invention of the operational amplifiers. Compact and inexpensive (mostly) chips allowed to create small and well sounding...
The F7200 is a single balanced armature in ear moniter from the Japanese company Final. Final have been in business since 1974 and in my opinion make some retro looking IEM and full size...
King of kings - Page 6
Poll Results: Best headphones to listen different music styles
103 Total Votespost #76 of 781/28/13 at 8:17am
4% (5)Grado Labs GS1000i
33% (35)Sennheiser HD-800
14% (15)Beyerdinamic T1
20% (21)HiFiMAN HE6
26% (27)Audeze LCD2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 782/6/13 at 5:05am
I'll throw in my hat into this debate. Buy used T1 for under 1000. This headphones quite flies under a radar but they are a very good choice. They do not excel at any particular thing but as an overall package they beat LCD2, HE500 and HD800 even though those other headphones are better at some aspects of sound. LCD2 and HE500 lack, compared to T1, what I would call a high frequencies sculpting of the sound, their sound is 'darker'. Listening on the low volume makes them sound even more dark, on low volume listening the music sounds a bit glued together with less separation between the layers of music. T1 has a semi-open design, they isolate a bit better then LCD2 or HE500 so you could crank up the volume a bit more so that the musical instruments and layers of music can be heard better separated. The treble, or the high frequencies, is more prominent on T1 and it helps better to delineate the sound of the instruments, to give a bit better 'air' around them, again, even on low listening level. The early models of T1 had a problem with the overly bright upper mid frequencies, Beyerdynamic tuned the later models to suppress this brightness, production numbers above 4000. Also, pairing T1 with a tube amplifier fixes this problem. HD800 is better in some technical aspects of sound than T1, but not all. It sounds a bit thinner, T1 has better harmonics, more pleasant harmonic series of note frequencies, the notes sound a bit fuller. The big spacial effect of sound of HD800 is good for the classical music with large orchestras but with smaller ensembles or bands the effect makes them sound a bit away from you. If you want to be so to speak more involved and closer to the stage then T1 is a better choice. T1 is not the best in some things like other headphones, but it has no big faults as well. It does all the audio things just well, but together the overall result is very good.
One important thing was forgotten in the debate, T1 are more transportable than other headphones. You cannot put an electrostatic headphones and the big home amplifier into, let's say, a camera bag and take them with you. You can take T1 and a portable amplifier with you. Lisa L3, Alo Audio Continental and RX Mk IIIB [balanced mode only] will drive T1 to its sonic almost heaven. I would say the Continental, the tube and solid state hybrid, is the best choice. The transportability of high end audio equipment is in our days and culture a most important thing, some would say a crucial thing. I think that the package of - 1. sound of T1 plus 2. sounding good with all styles of music plus 3. transportability beats the other headphones, if not on a K.O. then at least on points. Please let us know what was your choice.
Edited by zorin - 2/6/13 at 5:16ampost #78 of 782/6/13 at 3:44pm
I didn't vote because I have only owned the HE-6 on this poll. I can say that it was incredibly clear and strong, though. Bass went low, highs went high, and everything was clear and balanced. It was all I could really ever ask from an audiophile headphone. It worked well for every genre of music I played. That's the joy of a neutral headphone - it plays everything, non-offensively. Of course, if you prefer a different tone, like a darker or brighter headphone, then it stands to reason that you might like experiencing all genres of music with that touch of coloration. If you like a little extra bass, what's the difference if you get a bassier Nero or a bassier Diana Krall? Or maybe it's not so simple as "the LCD-3 makes Diana Krall bassier than it should be," so much as it's more like, "the LCD-3 lets me pay closer attention to, and enjoy, the bass in Diana Krall, more than an HD800 would."
If the others on the list are superior to the HE-6, I don't really know. It was pretty near pristine to me.
- King of kings
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › SONY NW-ZX2 DAP 40 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 41 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 51 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 55 seconds ago
- › R2R/multibit vs Delta-Sigma - Is There A Measurable Scientific... 1 minute ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 1 minute ago
- › Elekit TU-8200 DX Headphone/Speaker Amp Review 1 minute ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Final F7200 by Takeanidea
- › Denon Music Maniac In-Ear Headphones (AH-C250) by redeyeguy
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › ampsandsound Agartha Single-Ended Amplifier by Dillan
- › audio-technica ATH-A550Z Art-Monitor Headphones by rickyday
- › Advanced Sound by gprs007
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...