Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bass Heavy Headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bass Heavy Headphones? - Page 4

post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani ATH 87 View Post

What's with the obsession people have with bass? I never understood it. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music genre's (hip hop, electronic, dub, etc.) and I still don't get the obsession. To much bass is to much bass, it doesn't really matter what genre you listen to. Plus, bass is so fatiguing, especially when you are listening to music with bass on overload.

Exactly; everyone has different taste :)

post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalacarlo View Post

can i use the zo while recharging it? Also is the battery life long? How do they compare to the E11's? 

 

ZO2.3 can be used while recharging, E11 can't.

post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigsby View Post

I'm sorry rpg, I often agree with you but I just don't here, and it's ok if we have different opinions I think. You've come on pretty strong on this thread, really the OP needs to just go out and try them and make up his own mind. For my money DT770 80ohm with some form of bass boost will make any bass head more than content. Who knows he may even prefer something unmentioned here. Graphs do nothing or the hobby in my personal experience other than INDICATE what a signature MIGHT be like

 

Well I'm just saying, I had bought DT770 Pro/80 and was disappointed with its bass to the point I ended up selling them and I EQe'd them a lot but the midbass wasn't there, I ended up keeping the Sennheiser HD 212 pro back then which had slightly less subbass but much more midbass impact.

 

Graphs are useful if you know what YOU prefer, for me they are VERY useful as I know what I like from experience with testing different headphones and comparing their frequency response balance and how I kept EQing them to get there. The Q40 is the first headphone I use EQ-less because it's so close to the ideal response (~8db bass boost that is just as much midbass as subbass and pretty neutral/even well balanced & mids & highs)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani ATH 87 View Post

What's with the obsession people have with bass? I never understood it. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music genre's (hip hop, electronic, dub, etc.) and I still don't get the obsession. To much bass is to much bass, it doesn't really matter what genre you listen to. Plus, bass is so fatiguing, especially when you are listening to music with bass on overload.

 

Different strokes for different folks, I've come from the same background as the OP. Before I joined head-fi I was a REALLY HUGE basshead, like ridiculously so. The reason to that is that I came from 5.1 speaker set to headphones due to listening privacy & being able to listen also during nights as I tend to stay up pretty late. For me bass simply cannot be fatiguing, I've never ever felt fatigue from bass.

 

During that time bass was really everything I looked for as I wanted to get the same amount of bass as with my 5.1 set and maybe that sounds ridiculous but it's actually possible (only to the ear as headphones will never get you floor shaking or chestrumbling bass) and it was very possible when I happened to discover kX Audio drivers for Creative Audigy cards. These drivers are totally built from scratch and shares no similarities with Creative's own drivers. These drivers happened to have some REALLY amazing 10-band EQ and the plugin system allowed you to load up even multiple EQs at the same time. (You can probably see where this is going). Yea what's even more interesting with this EQ I could actually simply boost the frequencies (no cutting needed) and it still wouldn't distort at all for some reason (well it's tied to volume on the sound card but as you boost frequencies on the EQ the lower I could go on the source anyway) and well I ended up using 2 EQs in succession for the HD212pro and with the settings I used (at that time I liked a VERY aggressive V-shape curve btw which is funny because I absolutely hate recessed mids these days). 

 

The bass I was getting with these drivers with headphones was out this world, the bass was literally "ear-tickling" at low-moderate volume levels, you felt every bassbeat like having a real subwoofer. We're not talking small bass boosts here, we're talking like 20dB worth of boosts without "distortion". I say it that way because boosting 20dB bass won't be accurate but what I mean is that it didn't introduce clipping which pretty much any other software EQ (the kX Audio one was hardware DSP based though so probably why it worked better) would with such ridiculous amounts. Even the bassiest headphone sounded basshy without any EQing or bass boosts compared to what I was listening to, it was probably like 2x as much as what you'd find in the bassiest headphone. I was in bass heaven.

 

Eventually you will grow tired of hearing it that way and I think that's the best cure for bass addiction, let the people obsessed with bass gets the bass they want, eventually they will grow tired, it also happened for me. I'm facepalming everytime I install kX Audio drivers (I'm not using the Audigy 2 ZS card anymore though) and load up those saved settings for the kX Audio drivers and listen to my ridiculously configured EQ settings for both HD212 pro and XB500. Again, different strokes for different folks BUT your preferences in sound do change over time and therefore I think the best way is to simply get bass addicts what they want and let them grow tired out of it, it happened to me at least. I still concider myself a basshead for sure but the amount I want these days is probably like at least twice as little as I used to listen to before and I went from a V-shape loving guy to craving at least as much mid presence as highs or even slightly more midpresence versus highs.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 1/13/13 at 1:56am
post #49 of 67

Just got my Vmoda LP-2s. Pound is not the word, they have a TON of bass, I love them.  For rap and dubstep they are pure sex.  The highs are clear but not obnoxious, the mids are clear but not so far forward that it overpowers the bass/treble, and the bass.....

 

Compared to in ear skullcandy Titans, which are a in ear model people here whine frequently "Have too much bass", they have far.... far more and it extends WAY lower than the titans, it actually extends really really far down, like nice loudspeaker sub does.  Also, I am sitting here listening loud enough that my ears are vibrating as well as my neck ticklin in my office, and no one around me is complainging about the noise, the leakage is controlled nicely.

 

Bass EQd full up, with an additional 12db bass boost on my rockbox ipod classic and no distortion at the "0db" setting, so basically all the way up....

 

For comparison, I A/B tested against Beats Studios here.  The Studios have more bass without EQing, however, with both headphones eqd and turned up just before I hear distortion the LP-2s at least keep up if not surpas with the Studios and the Vmodas sound more clear, are smaller, more comfortable, 100-150 bucks less, durable, sexy as fux, and have a better warrantly plus the 50% immortal warranty. 

 

LP-2s, love em, ignore all the audiophiles that are looking for a flat sound if you want bass, LP-2s rock!

 

 

All that said, when I am listening to other music, such as Epica or Within Temptation, they are crystal clear and at least to me sound fantastic with a soundstage large enough to actually pin point instruments in the live recordings.  The bass can easily dial back and not be so "big", leaving everything flat and bringing the mids and highs slightly forward actually makes classical music sound pretty nice.


Edited by claviger - 1/13/13 at 4:16am
post #50 of 67
you could lower eq on the source then...
post #51 of 67
Grab a pair of Sony XB1000's (if you can find 'em).
post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levaix View Post

 

Recent comment to a friend while listening to dubstep on the 900's: "I probably shouldn't be able to feel the bass from my headphones in my legs, should I?"

Funny, that's exactly the same feeling I have with the PRO900 on some tracks beyersmile.png

Almost like the feeling that there's a tiny subwoofer on the floor.

 

To OP: I used to try out the DT770 when I had DT990 just to compare bass and there was definately more presence on the 770 but I felt that it lacked some detail that my DT990 had. When I tried the PRO900 I returned the DT770 and sold the DT990. I've heard that XB-500 should be alot bassier in the low-end compared to the PRO900 - but I haven't tried the Sony yet so I cannot confirm it.

You can check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/552034/final-thoughts-sony-mdr-xb1000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900-who-is-the-bass-king-pictures

Some mention the 500 being bassier than 1000. Only problem with XB500 is that I've heard it's discontinued? Still available on Ebay, at least.

 

But as someone else has said I would agree to it: Now that you've gotten the recommendations you should go out and try them out. You might like one pair more than one that was popular or recommended.

post #53 of 67

Hey, I have xb500 xb1000 and xb900. and i put them on amp as well and I normally set the eq to boost lots of bass. in my opinion, xb900 seems to have the most bass. if feels like pushing all the bass into your ear. then it is the 500, but 500 does lack mids and highs, so not as good as xb900. the highs on xb900 are not as bright as xb1000, which for me it is a good thing. but dont get me wrong. i do prefer xb1000 over both 900 and 500, but not because of the bass. xb1000 has wider sound stage, and the bass is different from xb900. you feel there is quite amount of bass there (if u bass boost it) for xb1000, but not being pushed into your ear. and last thing is xb1000 is really really really comfortable. xb900 does cause pain to my ear after one or two hours. btw, i find xb900 is not easier to drive than xb1000, so if ur device can drive xb900 well, then don't worry, it sould be good on xb1000 too. hope this would help

post #54 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehungano1 View Post

Hey, I have xb500 xb1000 and xb900. and i put them on amp as well and I normally set the eq to boost lots of bass. in my opinion, xb900 seems to have the most bass. if feels like pushing all the bass into your ear. then it is the 500, but 500 does lack mids and highs, so not as good as xb900. the highs on xb900 are not as bright as xb1000, which for me it is a good thing. but dont get me wrong. i do prefer xb1000 over both 900 and 500, but not because of the bass. xb1000 has wider sound stage, and the bass is different from xb900. you feel there is quite amount of bass there (if u bass boost it) for xb1000, but not being pushed into your ear. and last thing is xb1000 is really really really comfortable. xb900 does cause pain to my ear after one or two hours. btw, i find xb900 is not easier to drive than xb1000, so if ur device can drive xb900 well, then don't worry, it sould be good on xb1000 too. hope this would help

Wow very helpful, lol. From my understanding, the xb800's and the xb900's are the same thing?

post #55 of 67

yes they are

post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalacarlo View Post

Wow very helpful, lol. From my understanding, the xb800's and the xb900's are the same thing?

yes they are the same, btw, if you want the xb1000, you better be quick, before it runs out like 700 and 500

post #57 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehungano1 View Post

yes they are the same, btw, if you want the xb1000, you better be quick, before it runs out like 700 and 500

I know but i can't do anything, i don't have money yet lol. By the way, i remembered testing them out in the sony store using just my ipod and they had no type of bass at all but i heard that if you plug them in decent amps that it can rattle your head, how do the sounds differ when using them through an ipod only and when using them with an amp?

post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalacarlo View Post

I know but i can't do anything, i don't have money yet lol. By the way, i remembered testing them out in the sony store using just my ipod and they had no type of bass at all but i heard that if you plug them in decent amps that it can rattle your head, how do the sounds differ when using them through an ipod only and when using them with an amp?

 

Depends on the amp, but generelly I would say that you get more juice into them with a more solid amp like an SS, and I think damping factor could have some effect on the bass as well. My PRO900's bass didn't shine until I got a lower output impedance amplifier like the Matrix M-Stage.


Edited by Monir - 1/14/13 at 6:02pm
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalacarlo View Post

I know but i can't do anything, i don't have money yet lol. By the way, i remembered testing them out in the sony store using just my ipod and they had no type of bass at all but i heard that if you plug them in decent amps that it can rattle your head, how do the sounds differ when using them through an ipod only and when using them with an amp?

yes, that is exactly what i experienced before. they have no punchiness at all. anyway if you only have iPod classic (that is what i use), then set the eq to small speaker then turn the vol all the way up, would help a bit. But I would recommend you to get a fiio e07k or e17, or the zo2.3 (which i don't own). they have more than 10db of bass boost which can make the xb headphones shake ur head like crazy~!!!

 

So if you are tight on money, I would recommend you spend the money to buy the e07k, which brings me a lot of fun. I mean the amp can provide more power to ur headphone, but then xb series are designed for portable use, so it doesn't require that much power from ur device. This is why i would suggest some amps that have hardware eq, to add more bass to see the true potential of these headphones. Alternatively u can also just listen to some bass heavy songs to feel the bass. anyway  i believe buying something like e17/e07k will help you a lot.


Edited by onehungano1 - 1/14/13 at 6:39pm
post #60 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehungano1 View Post

yes, that is exactly what i experienced before. they have no punchiness at all. anyway if you only have iPod classic (that is what i use), then set the eq to small speaker then turn the vol all the way up, would help a bit. But I would recommend you to get a fiio e07k or e17, or the zo2.3 (which i don't own). they have more than 10db of bass boost which can make the xb headphones shake ur head like crazy~!!!

 

So if you are tight on money, I would recommend you spend the money to buy the e07k, which brings me a lot of fun. I mean the amp can provide more power to ur headphone, but then xb series are designed for portable use, so it doesn't require that much power from ur device. This is why i would suggest some amps that have hardware eq, to add more bass to see the true potential of these headphones. Alternatively u can also just listen to some bass heavy songs to feel the bass. anyway  i believe buying something like e17/e07k will help you a lot.

Is the zo2 the same as the zo2.3 because i am confuse, i think once i get money i am going for the zo2 just because i read that it provides the highest bass boost

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bass Heavy Headphones?