Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why everyone should have a Grado as their 2nd headphone.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why everyone should have a Grado as their 2nd headphone. - Page 4

post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPro View Post

I will consider the RS1i when Grado makes a new version with better comfort. Those Labtec headsets at my office have as much comfort as the RS1i and cost 35 times less. I could care less about how good it sounds, no comfort => no buy.

 

You sure you are at the right website? blink.gif

post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

 

You sure you are at the right website? blink.gif

I was also thinking this.

Well i guess those 800 gram FAD closed backs are out of the question? ;)

post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

 

You sure you are at the right website? blink.gif

 

Yes, and have been for a few years now. The thing is that I normally wear headphones for a few hours straight, listening to music while playing games, or watching movies. Comfort therefore is a huge deal to me. Too bad because I enjoyed the RS1i when I auditioned them, to me they are much better and more musical than the SR line, and even got louder than the 325is out my iphone at the same volume.

 

I have also realized something recently, one of the reason why I have such huge comfort problems with on-ear cans is that my hipster glasses' huge frame gets in the way and presses my ears the opposite way that the ear pads do. After removing the glasses everything suddenly becomes much better.

post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangraman View Post

 

I think of them as the Beats of Head-Fi tongue.gif


OUCH very_evil_smiley.gif

post #50 of 81

Agreed.  I love the strong difference in sound between my Senn 650s and Grado 325is.  Although the Senns are technically better, both still get equal listening time.  Maybe placebo but I feel ever since I upgraded to the E7/E9, the highs are much less annoying than coming from the uDAC.

 

Even when it comes to non-rock/metal, the way Grados present vocals is beautiful 

 

When people talk about comfort, I think they should play around with the headband.  I don't find my Grados comfortable all the time, but the majority, vast majority of the time, they don't bother me.  Like I said I listen to them equally as much as my far more comfortable Sennheisers 


Edited by DivergeUnify - 1/14/13 at 10:25am
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post

 

I would say so. I currently have the SR225i and this is the only headphone that I haven't sold yet... It just sounds so different than other headphones that it's almost an addiction. However, after listening to the RS1i, I think I need to move on and finally let my 225i go. The RS1i shall be my final Grado as it's my favorite.

 

You will not be disappointed in that decision. I owned the SR225, then RS1, then downgraded back to the SR225 for financial purposes (was a college intern at the time living at home so I could afford the RS1s until I started paying my bills!) and while I still love my SR225s I can't wait til after I close on my house and can buy some RS1s again.

 

Right now I'm sitting with the SR225s and HD595s wondering where to go next (in the $150-$300 range).


Edited by TiTaN - 1/14/13 at 10:28am
post #52 of 81

I just purchased a second hand pair of SR60i's as my second headphone.  I have never tried Grado's.  Patiently awaiting them in the post :)

post #53 of 81

I've heard all sorts of headphones and other than high end Stax? I can't find anything I like more than Grados. Had RS1's ... currently have GS1000's ... 

 

I enjoy all sorts of headphones, though... Senns, Beyers ... Shures ... but Grado ... something about the driver design, just sounds so organic and "speaker" like ... totally unique driver sound in my opinion. The Senn HD800 is about the closest I can find to equal the GS1000's ... 

 

All of that said, ... the GS1000's are some nitpicky arse cans for sure. Took me a long time to find a source/amp chain that worked just right ... but once I nailed it, I never changed.

 

I'm dieing to get a PS1000 ... just don't want to spend the money.

 

The GS1000 is super sweet but not as good at high volume as they are at mid/low volume. What I've read about the PS1000 makes me think it might be the perfect middle ground between the RS1 (super punchy) and the GS1K (super refined) ... 

 

I'll eventually get one.

post #54 of 81

If you come to Austin this Spring you'll get the chance to hear high end Stax. 

 

While it's hard to compare some stuff to Grados it's pretty easy with high end Stax. More flat frequency response but even better speed and resolution compared to Grados. 

 

You get more bass with less harsh treble. At least with the 009.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1rrah View Post

I've heard all sorts of headphones and other than high end Stax? I can't find anything I like more than Grados. Had RS1's ... currently have GS1000's ... 

 

I enjoy all sorts of headphones, though... Senns, Beyers ... Shures ... but Grado ... something about the driver design, just sounds so organic and "speaker" like ... totally unique driver sound in my opinion. The Senn HD800 is about the closest I can find to equal the GS1000's ... 

 

All of that said, ... the GS1000's are some nitpicky arse cans for sure. Took me a long time to find a source/amp chain that worked just right ... but once I nailed it, I never changed.

 

I'm dieing to get a PS1000 ... just don't want to spend the money.

 

The GS1000 is super sweet but not as good at high volume as they are at mid/low volume. What I've read about the PS1000 makes me think it might be the perfect middle ground between the RS1 (super punchy) and the GS1K (super refined) ... 

 

I'll eventually get one.

post #55 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

If you come to Austin this Spring you'll get the chance to hear high end Stax. 

 

While it's hard to compare some stuff to Grados it's pretty easy with high end Stax. More flat frequency response but even better speed and resolution compared to Grados. 

 

You get more bass with less harsh treble. At least with the 009.

 

LOL!  I just PM'd him about the meet.

 

BTW, how much more money do you not get with the Stax?biggrin.gif

post #56 of 81

A few grand, but for someone willing to shell out for upper end Grados and a good amp...You're already sunk.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

LOL!  I just PM'd him about the meet.

 

BTW, how much more money do you not get with the Stax?biggrin.gif

post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

If you come to Austin this Spring you'll get the chance to hear high end Stax. 

 

While it's hard to compare some stuff to Grados it's pretty easy with high end Stax. More flat frequency response but even better speed and resolution compared to Grados. 

 

You get more bass with less harsh treble. At least with the 009.

 

You need to stop talking about those stax headphones, cause that sounds like what I want... :P

 

You've had me weighing up the benefits of trying to sell the few cheaper cans I've got as a bit of a collection trying to find a good sound with multiple types of music to try and afford some stax :/

post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

A few grand, but for someone willing to shell out for upper end Grados and a good amp...You're already sunk.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

LOL!  I just PM'd him about the meet.

 

BTW, how much more money do you not get with the Stax?biggrin.gif

I'm sunk because I'm deep into mid-fi.

post #59 of 81
Thread Starter 

Currawong-- just fyi, I bought a pair of R10s from Lobstersan about 5 years ago (serial 757, since sold).

post #60 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

i enjoyed my 325is when i had my hd 650s and 990s, eventually i sold it because i bought an RS1i. i loved it for a long time and never thought i'd sell it. however, after buying my T1, i started using them less and less, and while i do miss them, i don't think i'll rebuy them, ill probably just go for the PS1000 sometime in the future.

 

its always nice to have a pair of grados laying around though.

Skip the PS1000 (still a work in progress); wait for a ps1000i or get the, perfected for what it is,  GS1000i.

 

One more point, the big-cup Grados (GS/PS) are extremely comfortable, a great contrast to the leather/rubber tire affect of most other flagships. (Sometime all these others remind me of a medical device.)

The big foam ring barely touches your head, and is in keeping with the airy sound signature.

 

And thanks a million  everyone for reading my original post here and commenting, even if you disagree.


Edited by rgs9200m - 1/14/13 at 6:56pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why everyone should have a Grado as their 2nd headphone.