Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › DT 770 pro 80 too much bass
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DT 770 pro 80 too much bass

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Those of you who found the dt 770's to have too much bass and/or treble what headphone did you end up buying instead?
post #2 of 18

Try to EQ them first (boost mids and/or decrease lows/highs) 

having too much bass is not nearly as bad as having too little. biggrin.gif

generally you should aim for A shaped EQ.

In case if bass steals the lower mids, you should decrease them (while increasing upper-mids)


Edited by SmOgER - 1/9/13 at 12:42pm
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmOgER View Post

Try to EQ them first (boost mids and/or decrease lows/highs) 

having too much bass is not nearly as bad as having too little. biggrin.gif

In case if bass steals the lower mids, you should decrease them (while increasing upper-mids)

How do you EQ them?

 

I had recently bought the m50's after having the 770's for over a month and right away I thought the m50's had better sound and the bass didn't feel like it was punching me like the 770's did. The only problem I have with the m50's is that they are so uncomfortable I can't wear them for more than 1 hour.

post #4 of 18

What are you playing your music from? 

like I said, you should aim for A shaped EQ

 

EDIT: After some reading in turns out these are generally basshead's phones you are using... 

Try to EQ them, if you won't like it, then sell em.


Edited by SmOgER - 1/9/13 at 1:01pm
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 

I'm playing my music from my FiiO E10 which is hooked up to my computer. The reason why I started this thread is to see what other options people were happy with after not liking the 770's for whatever reason.

post #6 of 18

The DT770 recession from 300~900Hz was my main reason for letting them go.  Its a broad "U" shaped freq response curve.  A broad "hump" EQ curve is needed to flatten them out a bit.  The bass impact and extension though was SOLID.  I used them for DVD / TV watching and gaming with a SM57 on a desktop mic stand.  I got a K240s (55 ohm model) just for kicks, and I found they do a lot of the same things but with a less pronounced "U" curve so thats eventually what replaced my 770.

 

I still use the K240s for TV/DVD watching.  Unless I need some degree of isolation then I use a bose AE2.


Edited by kramer5150 - 1/9/13 at 2:06pm
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post

The DT770 recession from 300~900Hz was my main reason for letting them go.  Its a broad "U" shaped freq response curve.  A broad "hump" EQ curve is needed to flatten them out a bit.  The bass impact and extension though was SOLID.  I used them for DVD / TV watching and gaming with a SM57 on a desktop mic stand.  I got a K240s (55 ohm model) just for kicks, and I found they do a lot of the same things but with a less pronounced "U" curve so thats eventually what replaced my 770.

 

I still use the K240s for TV/DVD watching.  Unless I need some degree of isolation then I use a bose AE2.

You have the original k240's or the mk2?

post #8 of 18

Not sure.  I bought them used ~5-6 years ago, if that helps any.

post #9 of 18
You could buy the 770 32 ohm limited edition. Its 100x better than the 770/80 thanks to the new drivers. Its actually pretty balanced across the whole range but not neutral.


Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundisee View Post

Those of you who found the dt 770's to have too much bass and/or treble what headphone did you end up buying instead?

Shure SRH840 and Denon D5000 were much more capable replacements for my DT770 pro.  A couple of years later I got Edition 8 and sold off my other closed headphones.  biggrin.gif

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundisee View Post

Those of you who found the dt 770's to have too much bass and/or treble what headphone did you end up buying instead?

 

If the DT770 is too bassy for you (weird to me, I don't think it's that bassy myself), look to these:

 

AKG K271 MKII

AKG K272 HD

AKG K550

AKG K167

AudioTechnica A900

AudioTechnica A700

Shure SRH840

Shure SRH940

Brainwavz HM5

Beyer T70P

Fostex T50RP

Mr Speaker Mad Dog

 

Very best,

post #12 of 18

Actually the DT770 Pro 80 doesn't have too much bass after it is ran in, or having ample power in supply.

 

Another easy fix is the damping ring mod. Just remove the damping ring around the driver and the bass will be less, you also get more detail and bigger soundstage.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533085/dt770-mod

post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 

What do you guys think of the DT 880 pro 250's or AKG K701? I know these are Open cans but would these be an upgrade from the DT 770 pro 80's for almost $150 more?

post #14 of 18

I didn't like the dt770 because it felt like it was a little too muffled, in fairness could have been because i wasn't using an amp, and I also didn't think they were comfortable to me.  The velour actually made my head itch.  Anyway went with the SRH840s and couldn't be happier :)
 

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundisee View Post

What do you guys think of the DT 880 pro 250's or AKG K701? I know these are Open cans but would these be an upgrade from the DT 770 pro 80's for almost $150 more?

I haven't heard the DT880.  But the K701 I think is, but only if paired with the right amp and source.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › DT 770 pro 80 too much bass