Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › gaming audiophile headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

gaming audiophile headphones

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
So ive been on the hunt for competitive gaming headphones, and today i picked up the sennheiser hd598 and im very dissapointed in them and will be goimg back. They sound grainy, harsh, no bass, distorted and overall sound like crap. My sound card cant be the problem, because im using a Creative Labs Z which has a dedicated 600 ohm headphone amp. What else can i get? I looked at the AKG Q701, they were nice however they felt a bit uncomfortable. I have the option of beyerdynamic dt880's, q701's, AD700s and 900s. My budget is under 400.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabsonuro View Post

So I've been on the hunt for competitive gaming headphones, and today i picked up the Sennheiser hd598 and I'm very disappointed in them and will be going back. They sound grainy, harsh, no bass, distorted and overall sound like crap. My sound card cant be the problem, because I'm using a Creative Labs Z which has a dedicated 600 ohm headphone amp. What else can i get? I looked at the AKG Q701, they were nice however they felt a bit uncomfortable. I have the option of beyerdynamic dt880's, q701's, AD700s and 900s. My budget is under 400.

The HD598 may take several hours of use to improve their audio quality.

So leave them connected to semi-loud music overnight or two nights.

My HD558s need hours and hours of use to improve.

 

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio (in the bios)?

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

no i did not disable the onboard audio in the bios (i dont know what to disable, i have an asus p67 sabertooth) i have also heard that they need a break in time and i will leave them on for about 3 days straight while i check out other headphones.

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabsonuro View Post

No I did not disable the on-board audio in the bios (i don't know what to disable, I have an Asus p67 Sabertooth) i have also heard that they need a break in time and i will leave them on for about 3 days straight while i check out other headphones.

In the motherboard's manual, on page 3-19, it lists the on-board audio as "HD Audio Controller".

I believe you need to use the EFI BIOS Utility, in the Advanced section, under Onboard Device configuration, to find it and set it to disable.

It's just safer to disable on-board audio if you install an add-on internal sound card.

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Ok i disabled it and im gonna leave them on for the next couple of days while i check out another store near me that has almost every headphone on display
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabsonuro View Post

So ive been on the hunt for competitive gaming headphones, and today i picked up the sennheiser hd598 and im very dissapointed in them and will be goimg back. They sound grainy, harsh, no bass, distorted and overall sound like crap. My sound card cant be the problem, because im using a Creative Labs Z which has a dedicated 600 ohm headphone amp. What else can i get? I looked at the AKG Q701, they were nice however they felt a bit uncomfortable. I have the option of beyerdynamic dt880's, q701's, AD700s and 900s. My budget is under 400.

 

Look into:

 

Beyer DT880

Hifiman HE-400

 

Very best,

post #7 of 13

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-7-13-astro-a40-added Check this thread. A couple of gamers in that thread agree I am one that the dolby soundstage on the HD598 is just off. I love the sound of them though sort of miss them. They are not 'phones for bass.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

positional audio is very important to me as im a hardcore CS player and i need to hear footsteps very accuratley, ive head that the DT880's arent that good at positional audio even though they look very comfortable. how are the DT990 pros?

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabsonuro View Post

positional audio is very important to me as im a hardcore CS player and i need to hear footsteps very accuratley, ive head that the DT880's arent that good at positional audio even though they look very comfortable. how are the DT990 pros?

 

The HE400 and DT880 have excellent imaging. Dunno where or what you "heard" from the internet.

 

Very best,

post #10 of 13

The Audio Technica ATH-AD700 is a pretty popular choice for fps gamers, though your budget might allow for something even nicer.
 

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Ya ive heard about rhe ad 700s but id rather spend the extra cash to get the best in my under 400 budget
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 

Any other reccomendations? and between the 990 premium 600 ohm and the DT880 600 ohm which is better for gaming? and the 600 ohm dt 880 is the same price as the 250, which should i get?

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabsonuro View Post

Any other reccomendations? and between the 990 premium 600 ohm and the DT880 600 ohm which is better for gaming? and the 600 ohm dt 880 is the same price as the 250, which should i get?

I own both the DT990/DT880 in 600-Ohm (and the DT880/DT990 in 250-Ohm).

The DT990s are more bass & treble, so you get more of the "movie theater" like sound, mid range is a little distant, but clear.

The DT880 are more balanced sound.

 

With the 600-Ohm versions, I would say get a used headphone and whichever is cheaper.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › gaming audiophile headphones