- 4,559 Posts. Joined 8/2010
- Location: Northern Hemisphere
- Select All Posts By This User
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- HD 650s keep breaking, is it my own ignorace? Last post on 7/11/16 at 4:33pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 8/14/15 at 3:54am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 12/23/15 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on 7/19/16 at 3:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
I already had Sennheasier HD 25 iis which are great on-ear headphones but i wanted to try these after a good experience with the Yamaha EPH-200s. I really enjoyed the Yamaha house sound and these...
Oriveti Primacy: Making music sound like music Introduction Oriveti seems to be a rather obscure company, without any big breaks or long-running hype trains. They offer a single model that...
Background: The Audio-Technica CK10 is a dual BA IEM that was released in 2008, back then in those simpler times, CIEMs were a highly niche market, three BA drivers per ear was considered a lot,...
Focal Utopia Review Utopia - definition: An imagined state of things in which everything is perfect. My initial intention was just to write some detailed impressions, but throughout that...
Best High-End Amp for the Hd650 - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Is my impression correct? If you ask for an amp for headphone XY, the recommendations are usually the few latest models on the market?
I still use the earmax silver edition with my HD 650. Tried Black Cube linear, Leben CS 300, MF X-Can, Lake People Violectric V200. I also casually listen to new amps as they are available at my dealer. Never listened to Wa2 or 22 though. They don't seem to be available anywhere in Europe.
Up to now, the earmax tops them all by a margin or at least, there was no advantage to the new models. Only the Leben amp is in the same league sound quality wise, but the Leben hums. Since the OP writes, he listens to classical music (Bach?), hum is a no-go.
The earmax is a 15 year old design. But that does not mean, it is dated. We all discovered recently how good vinyl sounds and sounded. My impression is, there may be new audio technology that sounds different, but the sound quality progress overall is in small steps only.
I just bought a box of classical recordings from the 50s (RCA living stereo box, 60 CDs). They sound outstandingly natural, thanks to state of the art remastering, but also thanks to great sound engineers, who obviously thought about the placement of the few microphones that they used.
After listening to that, I started to have doubts that we listen to the top of the sound only because we keep buying new amps and players. It has been really good before, too, even long ago. CD was a step back during the 80s, 90s and beginning of the 2000s, that is certain. Now, as we finally get really good DACs, we have to live with the loudness war.
The earmax is still among the top amps IMHO, and for the HD 650 one of the first choices. Available used for first class prices, too. Probably a little expensive when bought new, especially outside of Europe.
Edited by mironathetin - 12/19/13 at 6:31am
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Bottlehead Crack. For the high-impedance Senns, it doesn't seem like it gets much better, particularly for the price.
Edit: Oops...gotta go past Page 1 to get to the Crack reference. Whew, glad it was somewhere.
Edited by irishsammy - 12/20/13 at 10:13am
If you're willing to spend $1800 on a high-end amplifier, I would highly consider selling off the HD650, spend $700-$1000 on an LCD-2, and use the remaining funds for an amp.
I've tried Woo Audio, Burson, Vioelectric, FIIO, Little Dot, and Graham Slee and possibly other ones that I can't remember. And I found the Graham Slees the best. Burson was awesome as well but I felt like it took away the "dark" HD650 sound signature which I didn't want to have it happen. Graham Slee made HD650 musical but still have that 650 sound that I love so much. Solo SRG2 with green power supply is sitting with my Vioelectric at home competing.(graham slee sounds good with my Grado 325Is too)
- Best High-End Amp for the Hd650
- › FS Beyer Dynamic DT880 250 ohm 1 minute ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 5 minutes ago
- › Vorbis over AAC - is it worth making the change ? 5 minutes ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 7 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD... 8 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD668B Headphone Review by mark2410 8 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 9 minutes ago
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by harry501501
- › RHA MA750i by meetpatel3686
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY - Whole Aluminium Body, Triple Drivers Hybrid 2... by ustinj
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones by mrstrangeguy
- › Focal Utopia by x RELIC x
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...