- 4,392 Posts. Joined 8/2010
- Location: Northern Hemisphere
- Select All Posts By This User
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Are the Sennheiser HD650's worth another $100? Last post on Today at 1:46 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Senn HD650 as complimantry for Hifiman HE-500? Last post on Yesterday at 8:16 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Replacing HD-650's with IEM's for travelling Last post on 9/10/14 at 3:55pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- On-ear, open headphones? Last post on 9/5/14 at 3:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD650s and Fast Music. Last post on 9/2/14 at 4:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Hello out there, this is a recorder, yes, a digital recorder - not one of those midget-screen playback gimmicks. In the hands of the ambitious recording enthusiast, it turns to an universal tool,...
The new S5 from Brainwavz will certainly please most casual listeners. It's sleek design, tangle-proof flat capable, and pop-ready sound signature certainly justify it's price - not to mention...
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
Best High-End Amp for the Hd650 - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Is my impression correct? If you ask for an amp for headphone XY, the recommendations are usually the few latest models on the market?
I still use the earmax silver edition with my HD 650. Tried Black Cube linear, Leben CS 300, MF X-Can, Lake People Violectric V200. I also casually listen to new amps as they are available at my dealer. Never listened to Wa2 or 22 though. They don't seem to be available anywhere in Europe.
Up to now, the earmax tops them all by a margin or at least, there was no advantage to the new models. Only the Leben amp is in the same league sound quality wise, but the Leben hums. Since the OP writes, he listens to classical music (Bach?), hum is a no-go.
The earmax is a 15 year old design. But that does not mean, it is dated. We all discovered recently how good vinyl sounds and sounded. My impression is, there may be new audio technology that sounds different, but the sound quality progress overall is in small steps only.
I just bought a box of classical recordings from the 50s (RCA living stereo box, 60 CDs). They sound outstandingly natural, thanks to state of the art remastering, but also thanks to great sound engineers, who obviously thought about the placement of the few microphones that they used.
After listening to that, I started to have doubts that we listen to the top of the sound only because we keep buying new amps and players. It has been really good before, too, even long ago. CD was a step back during the 80s, 90s and beginning of the 2000s, that is certain. Now, as we finally get really good DACs, we have to live with the loudness war.
The earmax is still among the top amps IMHO, and for the HD 650 one of the first choices. Available used for first class prices, too. Probably a little expensive when bought new, especially outside of Europe.
Edited by mironathetin - 12/19/13 at 6:31am
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Bottlehead Crack. For the high-impedance Senns, it doesn't seem like it gets much better, particularly for the price.
Edit: Oops...gotta go past Page 1 to get to the Crack reference. Whew, glad it was somewhere.
Edited by irishsammy - 12/20/13 at 10:13am
If you're willing to spend $1800 on a high-end amplifier, I would highly consider selling off the HD650, spend $700-$1000 on an LCD-2, and use the remaining funds for an amp.
I've tried Woo Audio, Burson, Vioelectric, FIIO, Little Dot, and Graham Slee and possibly other ones that I can't remember. And I found the Graham Slees the best. Burson was awesome as well but I felt like it took away the "dark" HD650 sound signature which I didn't want to have it happen. Graham Slee made HD650 musical but still have that 650 sound that I love so much. Solo SRG2 with green power supply is sitting with my Vioelectric at home competing.(graham slee sounds good with my Grado 325Is too)
- Best High-End Amp for the Hd650
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 1 minute ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › (Community Outreach) Got scammed, Advice? 4 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 5 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 6 minutes ago
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)