Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Naim headphone amp/DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Naim headphone amp/DAC - Page 9

post #121 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by the limp man View Post

I bought the Naim V1 dac today after a demo at the dealer with my system and cables. On the Counting Crows album (august and everything after) i found some songs showed some sibilance in the vocals. Does the Naim V1 have that tendency?

 

No, it doesn't.

 

If you'd like to post which tracks you found sibiliance on I'll try them from Spotify to see if I get the same result.

post #122 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by the limp man View Post

I bought the Naim V1 dac today after a demo at the dealer with my system and cables. On the Counting Crows album (august and everything after) i found some songs showed some sibilance in the vocals. Does the Naim V1 have that tendency?

I should note that the dac was not completly burned in.

Also note that i use Van Damme LOFC speakercable at home.

 

Tested on:

Chord prodac > Naim V1 > Chord Cobra 3 > Naimxs > Van Den Hull CS122 > Dynaudio X12

 

I was sure when i had the demo about my disission to buy the dac, but now i have serious doubts

I just tried one track from that album; it's very sibilant, to the point of being unpleasant to listen to.

 

I haven't noticed it on anything in my collection though, so I think it's the recording that's at fault.

post #123 of 192

The reason that i ask this question is because i had sibilance problems with my setup in the past (absolutely not with my current regadac). So i hope that its only that recording and that eveything goes well. A track that is also somewhat sibilant on certain systems (Eddie Vedder - Hard Sun) sounded awesome on the V1. I just hope that i made a good choice.
 

post #124 of 192

What is the average burn-in time for the V1? It sounds very closed in richt now. The dac has been playing music for about 10 to 15 hours now.

post #125 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by the limp man View Post

What is the average burn-in time for the V1? It sounds very closed in richt now. The dac has been playing music for about 10 to 15 hours now.

 

24 hours to sound passable, around 100 to start to work well. Both fairly continuous use, playing music as you have been.

post #126 of 192

I hope so, because i dont like the way it sounds now.

 

edit: I did a comparison with the Rega Vs my new V1 DAC:

 

The rega is more alive with a tendecy to focus on the upper frequencies. The naim is more balanced, but also a bit boring. neither are sharp sounding. 

 

In the midrange the naim is more expressive. and the rega more shutin

 

The bass of the rega is no match for the naim, both good, but different

 

I hope further burn in will improve the detail in the high frequencies of the naim, because now i find it nothing special, and that is ashame


Edited by the limp man - 5/10/13 at 7:09am
post #127 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by the limp man View Post

I hope so, because i dont like the way it sounds now.

 

edit: I did a comparison with the Rega Vs my new V1 DAC:

 

The rega is more alive with a tendecy to focus on the upper frequencies. The naim is more balanced, but also a bit boring. neither are sharp sounding. 

 

In the midrange the naim is more expressive. and the rega more shutin

 

The bass of the rega is no match for the naim, both good, but different

 

I hope further burn in will improve the detail in the high frequencies of the naim, because now i find it nothing special, and that is ashame

It really ought to sound the same as when you had the demo; mine sounds identical.

 

Unless of course there is some significant difference between what you heard on demo and what you have at home...

 

On your point about treble, both the Rega and the V1 have the reputation of being somewhat dark sounding. I can't say that I find the V1 lacking in treble detail, but I do detest bright hi-fi that pushes arguably false detail at you.

post #128 of 192

My comperison was before i bypaased the preamp (too bad). With Fixed Volume enabled it sound much better,. Mutch more detail and instument seperation that i did not hear with the rega.
 

post #129 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by the limp man View Post

My comperison was before i bypaased the preamp (too bad). With Fixed Volume enabled it sound much better,. Mutch more detail and instument seperation that i did not hear with the rega.
 

Hmmm, it sounds as if you weren't feeding the downstream pre-amp a correct electrical signal then?

 

Glad you solved it though.

post #130 of 192

Something like that. The dac was also fuctioning as a preamp and sended the signal to the preamp of my naitxs. Until i changed the settings in the dac so that the volume is locked.

 

The detail of the naim v1 is wonderfull, unlike anything else i heard. 


Edited by the limp man - 5/13/13 at 7:08am
post #131 of 192

But the naim sound inst there. I hope it will open up, because otherwise i am going to sell it on.
 

post #132 of 192

How much power does this put out? 

V1 has an oversize transformer for a headphone DAC/Amp

 


Edited by zackzack - 5/17/13 at 11:51pm
post #133 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackzack View Post

How much power does this put out? 

I don't think it's published.

 

V1 has an oversize transformer for a headphone DAC/Amp

It's actually relatively modest for Naim equipment; their pre-amps such as the DAC-V1 tend to scale well with bigger power supplies, but the DAC-V1 is limited to the one that is built-in.

 

 

 

post #134 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Meakin View Post

V1 has an oversize transformer for a headphone DAC/Amp

It's actually relatively modest for Naim equipment; their pre-amps such as the DAC-V1 tend to scale well with bigger power supplies, but the DAC-V1 is limited to the one that is built-in.

 

One thing that impresses me the most with the higher-end Naim DAC is the soundstage and the smoothness of the treble that it gives to headphones like Beyer T1.

There is no way that DAC-V1 can replicate that kind of performance but for £1250, how close it gets to the bigger brother?

post #135 of 192

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackzack View Post

How much power does this put out? 

V1 has an oversize transformer for a headphone DAC/Amp

 


Looks like pukka Naim Kit on the inside! Nicely made on the outside too.

Tried it last weekend at hom (but did not open it up).

No patch on me CDS into the big rig, sorry Naim (but then, I tried the Naim DAC and prefer the sound from me CDS).

But not bad at all next to my iFi DAC and iCAN Headamp on 'cans, missing the iCAN 3D sound though. Still, nice, clean, one box. I can see it go far.

Cheerio Rich

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › New Naim headphone amp/DAC