Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › New Releases 2013 - No Records Released Before 2013
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Releases 2013 - No Records Released Before 2013 - Page 16

post #226 of 297
Thread Starter 

 

Pixies - EP-1 (2013)

 

The first all-new Pixies tracks in many years are out now. They are planning to release a series of EPs instead of releasing an entire album at once.

 

There is a free MP3 track for download, a new video, plus the new EP for sale on their web site:

 

http://www.pixiesmusic.com/ep1-us/

post #227 of 297

Albums I've been loving recently:

 

700

Chelsea Wolfe: Pain is Beauty

Really nice goth rock that hits that sweet-spot between making you feel miserable and making you feel elated. Her previous efforts get mixed reactions from most people, but I think that even if you've been put off her music that you should give this one a shot anyways--you may be pleasantly surprised.

 

700

Gorguts: Colored Sands

Gorguts is back! And just as good as ever! What else do I need to say? If you love technical death metal (and don't mind being surprised!), then you've probably already snatched it up.

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Julia Holter: Loud City Song

Julia Holter is unstoppable. Even as she moves away from the slightly off-kilter flavors that originally made her so intriguing she continues to get better and better with each album, and she was already a helluva listen in the first place. Beautiful voice, great musical compositions. Endlessly listenable. Might be the pop album of the year for me--we'll see how I feel after I give Monae's newest a few more spins....

 

Kayo Dot: Hubardo

I cannot get this album out of my head. I find myself thinking about it when I'm not listening to it. And when I'm listening to it, I find it difficult to do anything else other than to just bask in its dark light. Is it just me or has this been a damn fine year for metal?

 

Edit: I don't mean to shoehorn Kayo Dot's stuff into a generic 'metal' label. God knows they've stuck their fingers into pretty much everything over the years--in this case you'll also get generous helpings of out-there prog wankery and beautiful jazz.


Edited by metalsonata - 9/8/13 at 12:27pm
post #228 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post
 

 

Pixies - EP-1 (2013)

 

The first all-new Pixies tracks in many years are out now. They are planning to release a series of EPs instead of releasing an entire album at once.

 

There is a free MP3 track for download, a new video, plus the new EP for sale on their web site:

 

http://www.pixiesmusic.com/ep1-us/

 

Woo Hoo... waited for this one for decades, although they have released a few individual tracks the past few years, members only.. sorry. So this is the first real Deal official release.. Unfortunately without the real Kim Deal since she choose to leave the band just a few months ago, but anyway it's the Pixies...  what can I say, great post  :-)


Edited by Jupiterknight - 9/8/13 at 9:15pm
post #229 of 297

Been waiting for this for awhile, and now it's only 2 weeks away....

 

*

post #230 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland View Post
 

Been waiting for this for awhile, and now it's only 2 weeks away....

 

*

Mazzy Star and the Pixies does it get any better :-) Next thing I'll see is a new Dream Syndicate release or Gregg Dulli from Afghan Whigs performing together with Steve Kilbey from the Church..


Edited by Jupiterknight - 9/8/13 at 9:38pm
post #231 of 297

 

Arctic Monkeys - AM

 

Not sure what I was expecting with this release, but it's very straight rock n roll--and it's good. The convulsive brit-sneer-rock of their early music has been replaced with a more self-assured and polished sound.  The boys live in LA (!) now and it may be leaving it's imprint on the band--not a bad thing. Give this a serious listen.

post #232 of 297
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
 

 

Arctic Monkeys - AM

 

Not sure what I was expecting with this release, but it's very straight rock n roll--and it's good. The convulsive brit-sneer-rock of their early music has been replaced with a more self-assured and polished sound.  The boys live in LA (!) now and it may be leaving it's imprint on the band--not a bad thing. Give this a serious listen.

 

I'm enjoying that one too. I haven't had enough time with it to reach a final verdict, but it's definitely worth a listen. I'll be returning to that one over the next several weeks but my early impressions are good.

post #233 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratocasterMan View Post
 

 

I'm enjoying that one too. I haven't had enough time with it to reach a final verdict, but it's definitely worth a listen. I'll be returning to that one over the next several weeks but my early impressions are good.

 

I listened to it straight through this morning and almost started it over for a second listen--so I figure that's a good sign.  Instead I started in on the new Goldfrapp--Tales of Us, but only made it halfway though.

post #234 of 297
Thread Starter 

 

The Clash - Sound System Box Set (2013)

 

There is a new mega Clash box set out. Unfortunately, I don't have this one. Yet! ;)

 

Here's an article about it:

 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/10/showbiz/music/clash-jones-simonon-q-and-a/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

 

Be sure to click all the pictures at the top of the article as there are some cool photos of many other legendary punk bands.

post #235 of 297

 

Now, Then & Forever - Earth, Wind & Fire

 

Earth, Wind & Fire's new album is finally out! Be sure to buy it from Best Buy, Target, or HSN for various bonus tracks.

 

 

 

post #236 of 297


I never paid much attention to Mark Knopfler's post Dire Straits work. My mistake. Privateering is proof that Knopfler's talent as a guitarist, singer, and songwriter has only grown. His guitar work and vocals are smooth as honey and strong as fine whiskey. This is a roots album with blues, country, Celtic, and rock-influenced tracks. Knopfler gathers a talented group of backing musicians for this double studio album.
post #237 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post



I never paid much attention to Mark Knopfler's post Dire Straits work. My mistake. Privateering is proof that Knopfler's talent as a guitarist, singer, and songwriter has only grown. His guitar work and vocals are smooth as honey and strong as fine whiskey. This is a roots album with blues, country, Celtic, and rock-influenced tracks. Knopfler gathers a talented group of backing musicians for this double studio album.

 

 

I'll go plus 1 on that. Knopfler's production values alone make his albums worth a listen. This one is just stellar all round.

post #238 of 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


I'll go plus 1 on that. Knopfler's production values alone make his albums worth a listen. This one is just stellar all round.

You're right--the production on Privateering is outstanding. What a pleasure to listen to a fine recording on a good system.
post #239 of 297


If You Wait is the debut album from the indie pop trio London Grammar. This is an interesting first release with liquid vocals over a stripped-down pop sound. I don't think they've quite found their sound yet, but there are some solid tracks and the promise of good things to come.
post #240 of 297

 

I feel like it traded in some of the adventurous spirit of her previous effort for a slicker, cheesier, more straight-forward pop R&B romp, but this is still a fantastic record. Monae has a great voice, and, as was the case with The ArchAndroid, the production and instrumentation are fantastic. It's without a doubt a more approachable album (despite being just as monolithic in size) than the ArchAndroid, and I think the pacing and sequencing are considerably better here than it was there (I'm sorry, but Make the Bus just destroys the groove of that album). Lyrically it gravitates wildly between dumb shake-your-bootay stuff and some open-minded subversiveness which I *love.* Also, if you wanted to hear Monae rap some more, then you'll be very happy with this--sure, she doesn't do it often, but when she does it's a real treat. I almost want her next album to be a straight-forward hip hop affair. I really think she could pull it off. 

 

When it's all said and done I don't think it quite measures up to her previous effort, but it's still great pop music. Monae deserves to be popular, more so than most of her peers. Hoping this one and its singles gain some momentum on the charts.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › New Releases 2013 - No Records Released Before 2013