Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro vs. Shure SRH840 vs. Sony MA900
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro vs. Shure SRH840 vs. Sony MA900

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Hello all!

I'm going to buy a new pair of headphones.
But I can't decide between the headphones which are named in the name of the thread.

Could you please help me? I like clarity, nice highs and present mids and some bass is also nice smily_headphones1.gif
But I'm not a basshead.
I'm listening to Electronical music but also to some classic.
What do you think- which headphones should have the best clarity and presence?

I'm looking forward to read your replys smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Nati123 - 1/7/13 at 9:07am
post #2 of 43

The Beyers you mentioned are both great all-rounders with better than average separation and soundstage. The 880 is a semi-open and 990 is a fully open design - that means they will leak and you will hear the environment around you somewhat. If they're just for home use go for one of those. If you want a little more bass/excitement go for the 990 as the 880 has a more neutral sound. They're both also some of the most comfortable headphones available.

 

Also Portapro cables are pretty easy to fix if you have a set of crap/cheap earbuds you cannibalize a cable from. I had some broken sony earbuds so I chopped off the buds and soldered it to the portapro. 

Most folks have cheap crappy earbuds lying around... well worth the sacrifice.

 

The HD-25 can be a little picky with getting a good seal around the ears (even I had trouble finding a good fit with my small ears), but if they fit they sound punchy and fun. Also they're good for outdoors, so it's more versatile than the Beyers, but doesn't have even half the soundstage or separation. 

post #3 of 43
The Sony MA900 are amazing sounding for the price and they sound realy good without amps help but they improve further with it. The other headphones like Denon D2000, D600, DT 880, DT 990, are pretty good and for portable use M80 are highly recommended.
post #4 of 43
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your answer! Aren't the D2000 known as THE basshead headphone? I think I heard something like that.
I have had some problems with Sony headphones. Everyone I've ever heard sounded bad (even 350€ models). Is the MA900 really better?
post #5 of 43

Have you considered any of the grado headphone's? They are on ear and open back design, but for 100$U.S. you can purchase a pair of SR80i's, and their sound quality IMO are excellent!!!

post #6 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

The Beyers you mentioned are both great all-rounders with better than average separation and soundstage. The 880 is a semi-open and 990 is a fully open design - that means they will leak and you will hear the environment around you somewhat. If they're just for home use go for one of those. If you want a little more bass/excitement go for the 990 as the 880 has a more neutral sound. They're both also some of the most comfortable headphones available.

Also Portapro cables are pretty easy to fix if you have a set of crap/cheap earbuds you cannibalize a cable from. I had some broken sony earbuds so I chopped off the buds and soldered it to the portapro. 
Most folks have cheap crappy earbuds lying around... well worth the sacrifice.

The HD-25 can be a little picky with getting a good seal around the ears (even I had trouble finding a good fit with my small ears), but if they fit they sound punchy and fun. Also they're good for outdoors, so it's more versatile than the Beyers, but doesn't have even half the soundstage or separation. 

Thanks for that good tip! When my Porta Pro's cable is broken, I'll return to this idea! smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah, I think the Beyerdynamic DT990 should be better. As you said, I'm going to use it at home, so It may be open, or semi-open ;-)

I'm afraid the HD-25s wouldn't be good to my ears... I mean -they may sound awesome, but probably won't fit that good. But what about the highs of them? Do they have an similar clarity like the beyers?
post #7 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Have you considered any of the grado headphone's? They are on ear and open back design, but for 100$U.S. you can purchase a pair of SR80i's, and their sound quality IMO are excellent!!!

Sounds like you own them, don't you?
What about their sound, are they bassy or rather clear?
And I heard they don't fit that good, is that true?
I'm sorry that I'm asking that much questions :-D
post #8 of 43

Grados can be very uncomfortable, and tend to be bass light. 
Having said that I own the RS2i, and I love it. It's a brand you should try before you buy. It's not for everyone, but has a unique sound that excels for rock and small group instrumental music.

post #9 of 43

I honestly find AKG' Q701's with the bass eq'd up a little are perfect all rounders. the extra bass gives a little extra warmth, they don't sound SO clinical anymore.

generally, try anything before you try it.

Trust your ears most importantly

post #10 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post

Grados can be very uncomfortable, and tend to be bass light. 

Having said that I own the RS2i, and I love it. It's a brand you should try before you buy. It's not for everyone, but has a unique sound that excels for rock and small group instrumental music.

Ok, I'm actually not listening to rock. And unfortunately I'm not able to try grados, because the local markets haven't got them in store. What do you think about the M50s?
post #11 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakensaur View Post

I honestly find AKG' Q701's with the bass eq'd up a little are perfect all rounders. the extra bass gives a little extra warmth, they don't sound SO clinical anymore.
generally, try anything before you try it.
Trust your ears most importantly

Ouch, they're much above my budget... My brother has got the K701s which are known as analytical. I'd really like to hear them! Are the Q701 similar to the K701? And it's nearly impossible to drive them with an iPod, isn't it?
post #12 of 43

Its not worth plugging them into an ipod. they are just quiet and bassless.. and boring.

Q701's are a lot like K701's, but warmer. they have a slight bit more bass which makes a pretty large difference. maybe a touch less accurate, but i think its for the better.

consequently i find the highs a bit smoother with that slight extra bass boost i found mine for $220 or so, if you buy them from Ebay. That's about £140 in the UK where they normally sell for £300+

post #13 of 43
Thread Starter 
On the German amazon you get them for 320€... I think the cheapest one costs 279€.
And I have to order my amp from Canada and this could be a few weeks, maybe months to wait for it.

By the way:
The Beyerdynamic DT990 is aviable in different Ohm-versions:
-600 ohm
- 80 ohm
- 32 ohm

Are there (big) sound differences? And the 600 ohm version can't be driven with an Pioneer Reciever, can it?
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati123 View Post


Sounds like you own them, don't you?
What about their sound, are they bassy or rather clear?
And I heard they don't fit that good, is that true?
I'm sorry that I'm asking that much questions :-D

Sound's like you know I used to own them, Haha!

Anyway, Their sound is very upfront mid's with amazing clarity in the high's and an onstage presence.

As for the bass, I find them to be just the right amount of bass, and when needed a solid punch is delivered, ( I feel the precussion instrument's really shine with the SR80i's. (No they are not bass heavy).

As far as fittment goe's I don't have any problem with the Grado's what so ever, as long as I stretch the headband so that the driver's are just resting on the ear's. I wear them for at least 2-3 hour's every night.

I destroyed my 80's by accident!!! Wich lead me to the Alessandro MS2i's and the sound signature wasn't the same as the Grado, so I recently traded for the Grado 325is, wich I prefer. (One is not better than the other, at all they are just different).

Also I recommend the 80i's because of their overall performance/price ratio, wich I feel cant be beat IMO.

No need to be sorry, I have experience with all of these model's , and I'm glad to share it.

post #15 of 43
Thread Starter 
Ok guys, thank you very much for your help and advice!
My last question will be, which headphones are the best of the following ones.
I like clarity and brilliant highs, present mids and bass (which is not overwhelming).
The headphones are:
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro (250/32 ohm version)
- Audio Technica ATH M50
- Grado SR80i
(-Sennheiser HD-25, which is in brackets because of his bad fitment)
- Sony MA900

Thanks in advance!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro vs. Shure SRH840 vs. Sony MA900