New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE215, worth it?

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 

Hi there.

 

Im looking for a hassle-free (No amp or anything, mostly to use it with my everlasting iPod 5G), decent sound quality In-Ear Headphones, something around $100 USD and such. Im from México, so my retail options are kinda limited, the only decent ones I've found here are the Bose IE2, the Sony XBA-2 (also the XBA-3, but they are a lot more expensive here) and the Klipsch 4SI.

 

So, searching eBay I've found the Shure SE215s for about the same price the ones I've mentioned before (shipping included from Hong Kong), but for about half the money I can get the soundMAGIC E10 from eBay too.

 

I listen to all kinds of music, from classical to death metal, blues, country, industrial, you name it, so Im guessing a flat response would be better, but I don't really know since I've been listening music through crap $10 bucks earbuds or my slightly "better" Sony MDR-XD100 and my now dead KOSS KSC75.

 

Is it worth to import the Shures, considering that the Bose, Sony and the Klipsch costs the same (shipping included) and I can get them right now in the store? and more importantly, are any of the mentioned IEM better enough to choose 'em instead of the E10s?

 

If you also can recomend a better bang for the buck in my budet to import, It would be awesome :D

 

Cheers from Mexico (Im doing my best to write in proper english, so excuse me for any mistakes xD).

post #2 of 50
First of all, if flat sound signature is what you're looking for, then you might want to look for other IEM as the SE215 is slightly bass-emphasized. SE215's sound won't tire your ears out, though. It is comfy with olive foam tips and isolates well, so it's still my to-go IEM for long flights. As far as value is concerned, I think SE215 has excellent value for the price : removable cable + shure olive tips = profit. Yes, there has been report of cable socket failures for early batches, but I have had mine for a while, and it's still working perfectly. I would suggest checking out |joker|'s review thread for more details.
post #3 of 50
Thread Starter 

I know that the SE215 are a bit bassy, but I could live with it if the overal sound quality and sound are good enough. I've read several reviews and all say those are good IEM's, but people seems to love the E10s and always says those are a better deal, maybe fanboys, but still leaves me hesitating a little.

post #4 of 50

Im in the same problem, Im between Sony XBA 3 and shure SE215, i Listen to all kind of music, but specially in alternative rock...

 

Which one is better? 

 

I would like to know how good is the cable of the sony XBA 3 cause i had a bad experience with a sony MDR ex300, the cable was very thin so 5 months after the purcahase, it broke =(  Generally i use earphones for daliy use including jogging and when i go to the gym

 

And i was wondering if Shure  already  Fixed the problem with the connection cable

 

Cheering from mexico and thank you in advance for your help!

post #5 of 50
Thread Starter 

I stumbled across the Etymotic HF5.

 

Those cost a bit more, but the reviews seems pretty great and offers a more precise, balanced sound. Do you think the extra pays off against the Shure ?

post #6 of 50

Got SE215s, excellent sound but I'm new at this.  The Ety's are going to be deep in your ear canal but I've never listened to them.  They are supposed to be exceptionally clear but a little light on bass.  SE215's have good bass, almost too much for me.  I do like them, though, if that helps at all...

 

JJ
 

post #7 of 50

Any suggestion for me? :) 

post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hito kun View Post

I stumbled across the Etymotic HF5.

 

Those cost a bit more, but the reviews seems pretty great and offers a more precise, balanced sound. Do you think the extra pays off against the Shure ?


I would say that the Shures are, by definition, more warm and balanced, with an emphasis on the midrange, but the HF5s are technically better. The HF5s are much more detailed and analytical, having a flat signature with emphasis on treble and a much better clarity. Shures have a nice bass, but doesn't extend as low as other dynamics in its price area. The highs are there and reasonably apparent, but not nearly extensive as the HF5s. Really, this is almost like comparing night and day. In terms of "sound" competency, the HF5s will definitely win. In addition, the HF5s have better isolation, probably the best of any universal IEM out there. The only thing that I would say the Shures have over the HF5s aesthetically is the build quality and accessory kit (Shure Olives eartips are my favorite foams).

 

Basically, HF5 = flat bass, neutral mids, sparkly highs, impressive clarity and detail

AND SE215 = reasonably extensive bass with good impact (not as light as most in its price range, but not significantly boomy at all), forward mids, nice highs but not extensive

 

I would pick the HF5s any day IMHO, especially with the SE215s issue with quality control and cable connectors. In technical ability, the HF5s are a much better value, but if you don't like an analytical sound, then I would go with something else. I owned the HF5s previously, and I currently own the SE215s (which I obviously am not a huge fan of).

post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurofye View Post

Im in the same problem, Im between Sony XBA 3 and shure SE215, i Listen to all kind of music, but specially in alternative rock...

 

Which one is better? 

 

I would like to know how good is the cable of the sony XBA 3 cause i had a bad experience with a sony MDR ex300, the cable was very thin so 5 months after the purcahase, it broke =(  Generally i use earphones for daliy use including jogging and when i go to the gym

 

And i was wondering if Shure  already  Fixed the problem with the connection cable

 

Cheering from mexico and thank you in advance for your help!


I would go with the Sony XBA 3s, but you might not like the cable too much. It's like a fusion between flat and traditional, turning into some kind of super skinny flat cable. And the lengths are extremely weird, which should be ok when worn like a j-cord, but it's nearly impossible to wear over ear. I haven't had problems with it at all, however, and I see it as a HUGE improvement over the other IEM cables Sony has used. But for (somewhat) similar reasons I previously wrote, the SE215s are not the best choice in its price range. I do, however, acknowledge that the XBA-3s may not aesthetically meet your needs, so I would suggest considering the VSonic GR07s or GR06s. Both are nice all rounders and sound great with rock.

post #10 of 50
Thread Starter 

Actually I think I'll like the flat response better, it also may even help me a little for producing since I don't own Studio Monitors nor a acustic-properly treated room.

 

I may miss a little a warm sound, but my main interest is versatility (I guess most comercial headphones emphazise bass because of popular music), but I want to hear the music the way it was supposed to sound, and if needed, I could just put a little EQ to enhance the lows if im feeling them too lacking.

 

Right now I may not be able to get the HF5, but the HF3, that as far as I know, is the same just with the mic and controlls for iPhone, is that correct? Can I plug 'em anywhere like a regular headphones?

post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hito kun View Post

Actually I think I'll like the flat response better, it also may even help me a little for producing since I don't own Studio Monitors nor a acustic-properly treated room.

 

I may miss a little a warm sound, but my main interest is versatility (I guess most comercial headphones emphazise bass because of popular music), but I want to hear the music the way it was supposed to sound, and if needed, I could just put a little EQ to enhance the lows if im feeling them too lacking.

 

Right now I may not be able to get the HF5, but the HF3, that as far as I know, is the same just with the mic and controlls for iPhone, is that correct? Can I plug 'em anywhere like a regular headphones?

 

Yes, that is accurate, but the remote's usage is exclusive to the iPhone. Just one last heads up before you jump on the Etymotics. The sound will likely be far from anything you've experienced before, so be prepared. But I'm sure you'll love them :)

post #12 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastPride View Post


I would go with the Sony XBA 3s, but you might not like the cable too much. It's like a fusion between flat and traditional, turning into some kind of super skinny flat cable. And the lengths are extremely weird, which should be ok when worn like a j-cord, but it's nearly impossible to wear over ear. I haven't had problems with it at all, however, and I see it as a HUGE improvement over the other IEM cables Sony has used. But for (somewhat) similar reasons I previously wrote, the SE215s are not the best choice in its price range. I do, however, acknowledge that the XBA-3s may not aesthetically meet your needs, so I would suggest considering the VSonic GR07s or GR06s. Both are nice all rounders and sound great with rock.

 

Im guessing that, price-wise, the ones to compare with the SE215 are the XBA-2, so the XBA-3 should be a no-brainier

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastPride View Post

 

Yes, that is accurate, but the remote's usage is exclusive to the iPhone. Just one last heads up before you jump on the Etymotics. The sound will likely be far from anything you've experienced before, so be prepared. But I'm sure you'll love them :)

Im surely will :P, Im just checking if the seller can get me the HF5s or HF2 to use also with my Android phone instead, but Im thiking these are the ones

post #13 of 50

I say yes, worth it.

They fit common tastes. Almost everyone i can tell.

post #14 of 50
Thread Starter 

Any thoughts on warranty and customer suport, if ever needed?
 

post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hito kun View Post

Any thoughts on warranty and customer suport, if ever needed?
 


Etymotic customer service is great in my experience, but make sure to buy them from an authorized dealer, or chances are that they won't honor the 2 year warranty.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home