I also auditioned the LCD2, HE500 and HE400 at a local meet and felt like there were no limitations driving any of these headphones. I plan to add the C4S boards soon which should lower the noise floor and improve bass further. The last addition will be a 4pin balanced socket to allow for easy connection to balanced headphones.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones for DNA Sonett Last post on 3/26/14 at 10:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Challenge ... Sennheiser HD598 vs ( Need to blow my socks off ... HE-500, LCD-2, HD650, HD800 ? )... Last post on 12/29/13 at 6:14am in Headphones (full-size)
- Review: Effect Audio Thor cables for IEMs and full sized headphones (in both Silver and SPC form) Last post on 8/25/13 at 10:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- Headphones for large heads Last post on 3/11/14 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which $500-$1000 headphone gives biggest slam on "Sk8er Boi"? Last post on 3/26/14 at 9:24am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
Anyone using a Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1? - Page 2post #16 of 223/8/13 at 10:44amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 223/9/13 at 5:30pmQuote:
The way I have the sound connected to the computer is... X-Fi > Stello DA-100 DAC > Bottlehead Extended Foreplay III preamp > Beta 22, Bijou, SEX 2.1.
The Hd-800's are usually connected to the Bijou most of the time (which is the amp I use most for music). They sound very good with tubes and in my setup you can't get any more "tubieness" than this. The 800's also sound fine with the Sex but the 2 watts of power are just made for Stax with transformer box. I once had the Stax hooked up to the Bottlehead Paramounts and that sound had no equal but they were built for the stereo speakers so the Sex will have to do for the Stax headphones. The gain on the Beta 22 is to low for the Stax by itself... needs the Foreplay III.
I use the Beta 22 with the closed Denon D-7000's which I built with low gain (2X) just for them. Unnecessary because they are easy to drive but I like to build amps and the Beta 22 was a nice project. This is also the amp I use with the LCD-2r2. I don't use these headphones much not because of the sound but because the are uncomfortable. The Beta amp is the amp I use when gaming and I switch to either the HD-800's or Denons depending on the weather-like moods of the house dragon (wife).
The Stello DAC is the only DAC I own besides the X-Fi and it blows the sound card away.
To put this all in a "nutshell"... all the amps sound good to my non golden ears of 61 years with the headphones I have. But I really do think the whole amp thing is overblown as long as they are of a high quality and proper impedance for the headphones you chose. It's very easy to be "Head Fi'ed" . If I'd have to have only one amp it wouldn't make no difference which amp it would be for they all sound fine coming after the Stello > Foreplay III (adjusts the input voltage for the 3 amps). I guess I would chose the Sex over the others for it is ideal because of the impedance switches that you can custom tailor it to what ever you have plus speakers and I like the Bottlehead products. Enjoy your Sex amp for you have made a good choice... I have found that it works good with everything.post #18 of 223/13/13 at 9:39pmThread Starter
Do you prefer the STAX or HD800 for most music? I've only owned the HD800 but found it too bright for my tastes. Im looking to buy either the LCD-2 or get some midrange STAX and an SDR-7 to use with my SEX. I lean towards the LCD-2 because of the many genres of music I listen to, but I've never been able to properly audition a STAX headphone with my own music library.post #19 of 223/22/13 at 4:57pm
I use the HD-800's with Bijou for almost everything and then the Denon D7000 with Beta 22 after that. These are my 2 favorite 'phones. While the vintage Stax & LCD 2's are both nice phones they are no match for the other two. The Stax will distort with heavy bass (explosions) while gaming they are very nice with music as long as they are not played to loud. They work the best with the SEX amp but just can't compare with the HD 800's or the Denons no matter how fed. They were bought in @ 1981 and 30 years makes a difference. My LCD 2r2 are hardly ever used and only for short periods of time because of the comfort level and I like the Senn's better.
Maybe one of these days I will improve my equipment to Stax 009 & Blue Hawaii for I know my amps are just average lower mid range. The Beta 22 is the best I have but I also wonder if the big money equipment will show me what I missing. A girlfriend in the mid 1970's, while breaking up with me, said that it don't take much to make me happy (she thought that was a negative trait) so right now I like what I have. If you want to get into Stax do yourself a favor and get a proper electrostatic setup from the start instead of going the SEX with SRD-7S/B route. I already had the Stax 'phones and needed a amp for an old friend...
Edited by Oberst Oswald - 3/22/13 at 6:19pmpost #20 of 223/7/14 at 1:20pmpost #21 of 223/19/14 at 12:04am
I have not directly evaluated the LCD-X with my slightly upgraded (Teflon and ClarityCaps) S.E.X. 2.1. However, from an electrical standpoint the S.E.X. can be wired for an output impedance from 4-32 Ohms in intervals of powers-of-two. The optional impedance switch upgrade allows any of [4, 8, 16, 32] to be selected at will.
There will be no problem driving 22 Ohm cans. If you need additional power, use the 16 Ohm taps and there should be gobs of headroom. It's worth experimenting with the lower ones as well. The 32 Ohm option would probably not be a good match. I use the 8 Ohm option for my HE-500s (38 Ohm impedance).post #22 of 223/24/14 at 6:24pmThread Starter
I remember trying an LCD-2 on my sex with the imput switches set at 16 and found there was great sound coming from the headphones. Very articulate and punchy with no brightness or peaks in the highs.
- Anyone using a Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
- › Burson Conductor - DAC/amp successor to the HA-160D 53 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Fiio E09K and E17 "USB Device Not Recognized" 1 minute ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 1 minute ago
- › Uplifting Trance reccomendations 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 3 minutes ago
- › Furman Elite-15 PF power conditioner 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob