So, if it IS around 30, what does that mean then?
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by nightmancometh, 2/18/15
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by nightmancometh, 2/18/15
- categoryHeadphonestagged by nightmancometh, 2/18/15
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by nightmancometh, 2/18/15
Related Forum Threads
- In need of headphones + amp for under 175$ Last post on 12/1/12 at 12:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First time buying new headphones. HELP PLEASE :) Last post on 10/28/12 at 12:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Replacing my Sony MDR CD480, help a newbie out. Last post on 9/30/12 at 9:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones for opera within sub $400 price range with sub $350 amp/dac combo Last post on 9/30/12 at 7:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Who would have ever thought that cans that cost 20~ bucks could sound pretty good, well some how Superlux did it and this is the result. I have the Presonus HD 7 which is essentially the same...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank AudioQuest for providing me with a review sample of their product in exchange for my honest opinion. No matter how much I enjoy listening to...
Read a number of reviews on this pair of headphones before buying, and was quite surprised that no one mentioned the boxy band ( maybe somewhere around 3.5 - 5k ?? ) of upper mids. some songs...
Sony walkman A-10 review PACKAGING : so simple .. just the player,cable and...
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
what to purchase - Page 2post #16 of 261/9/13 at 8:44pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 261/10/13 at 5:42ampost #18 of 261/10/13 at 5:42ampost #19 of 261/10/13 at 10:00amThread Starterpost #20 of 261/10/13 at 10:04am
It might not even be that big of a deal at all. Probably just a minor bass boost.
I would reccomend trying to get a hold of Creative and asking for the output impedence measurements of the Z. It's supposed to be an audiophile grade soundcard so it could very well be quite low.
Or ask the folks at the computer audio if any measurements have been done.
Edited by chewy4 - 1/10/13 at 10:13ampost #21 of 261/10/13 at 5:29pmpost #22 of 261/10/13 at 11:03pmThread Starterpost #23 of 261/11/13 at 3:25amQuote:Originally Posted by rheiber
I've been looking at the HD-598s. And have heard good things about the ATH-AD900. My only reservation is spending so much on something with only a 1 or 2 year warranty. If Koss had any good headphones for my needs I would go with them ( I live in Milwaukee ). Can you guys give me an idea of how long the headphones should last?
The TBSE and MV1 are both good headphones, but the 701 are likely a better match for you. The MV1 are the better of the two Koss 'phones if you're curious. If you had more money, the ESP/950 would be an easy suggestion. That said, the 701 are pretty close to that level of performance, and I think you'd like them quite a lot.
Don't get me wrong, TBSE and MV1 are both good, but I think the 701 will do better due to their larger soundstage and somewhat better detail retrieval. If you weren't into classical I'd be happier suggesting the MV1. I haven't heard the Pro4/AAAT (the open, TOTL, dynamic can from Koss) so I can't comment there - I have not read good things about them though. *shrug*
I'm assuming isolation isn't a problem by the way - if it is, that changes things (and the MV1 suddenly become very appealing imho).Quote:
No, they shouldn't. Based on the specs (and having been around), I'll bet you a buffalo nickel the Z has a TPA6120 on it, and that the Zout is going to be around 10R - which will be no problem even with very reactive headphones like the HD 650 or low impedance headphones like the MDR-F1. It will just mean a slight change to FR with reactive headphones (but reactive headphones just kind of suffer this no matter what).
The 1/8th rule is kind of a twisted marketing joke gone bad.Quote:
No, the output impedance will be a single value - 33 to 600 is Creative's stated operating range for the amplifier, and given that we know it's a chipamp and they're spec'ing 32-600 and 80 mW into 600R, there's only one chip I know of that fits that description: TPA6120. And I've never seen a 6120 deployed with Zout lower than 10R. That said, it's a good amp and will drive more or less anything with ease. Be careful with super low impedance cans (they're sort of rare and most of them are sensitive enough that they ask for so little current that it isn't dangerous), but otherwise you'll be fine. The K701 H598, MV1, TBSE, or A900X would all be fine with such an amplifier.
Low Zout in no way correlates to "tight bass" (because electrical damping is a fantasy) - reactive loads will notice an FR deviation with higher Zout (and really deviation isn't a fair word here - what does the manufacturer actually assume they're plugging into? Some headphones assume Zout to be 120R in design, others do not) which can sometimes mean more bass (or less treble, or whatever - it depends on the impedance curve) but you aren't going to somehow gain or lose "control" in the amplifier.
Generally having Zout much higher than Znom of the load is a bad idea because it can let noise in, and putting a load on an amplifier that it isn't rated to drive (e.g. it isn't stable) is a bad idea because it can let the magical smoke out (lol), but otherwise there's really no problem with Zout not being nine-zeros flat. If the load is reactive enough, and Zout is high enough, again, you'll see FR deviation (which has to exceed ~2 dB to even be noticeable, but it's nothing you'll hear and go "wow that's really off!!!" unless you're A/B'ing).
The Z already has one, in effect - it'll do just dandy with any of the cans mentioned in this thread.
And for the uninitiated, by "Zout" and "Znom" and so on, I am not referring to the Sound Blaster Z (I just realized where that may seem confusing - THANKS CREATIVE!); I'm referring to Impedance (Z).
Edited by obobskivich - 1/11/13 at 3:27ampost #24 of 261/11/13 at 5:03amThread StarterThank you. This is becoming a chore. Finding products in stores locally is not easy, simply because I like buying things locally and supporting business'. Though I was considering buying from TTVJ. Just been waiting on a reply to my email about a price match for the 598s.post #25 of 261/11/13 at 5:27amYeah, finding a lot of higher end headphones in local stores is usually a chore - there's plenty of good online retailers though, such as Amazon or J&R, that are worth noting. I don't have any experience with TTVJ though.post #26 of 261/13/13 at 2:34pmThread Starter
And of course now my Logitech speakers I have had for about 5 years are starting to give out...So now I need to go buy some speakers...these one were 5.1 but I am starting to think that is very unnecessary so I would like to find a good 2.0 set...if possible with a subwoofer, I am RMA'ing my headset I had so I will just use that, but the speakers are out of warranty so I need to replace those.
- what to purchase
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Dark Voice 339 2 minutes ago
- › Perfect Seal CIEM Demo Tour - TENTATIVE 2 minutes ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › SpinFit Eartips Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 4 minutes ago
- › Youtube's Highest Streaming Quality? 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-technica ATH-RE700 advice needed! 6 minutes ago
- › Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply) 6 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 9 minutes ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Superlux HD 681 by Zulkr9
- › AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2 USB DAC by twister6
- › AKG K271 MKII Headphones by 1nfiniti
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by Mmet
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2