Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Ideal xonar sound card for my pc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ideal xonar sound card for my pc - Page 2

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARIM View Post

The ST/STX are better with music applications and movies but they will equally serve games well and I will recommend the ST because PCi port and sound better with powerfull AMPs included. BTW if add external desktop AMPs/DAC via RCA or Optical output on ST/STX and sound Willbe much better than any soundcard.

Just going external is no guarantee of better quality....the ST(X) cards are high quality, so you have to find an external DAC that surpasses them for component quality.

post #17 of 32
Thread Starter 
I dont know, i read a lot and im still not sure about what sound card to buy, asus xonar (and what version), creative x-fi, onkyo... Or whatever... Some say titanium hd, some say xonar essence stx, some even say "keep your onboard card and buy a mixamp"...
post #18 of 32
Thread Starter 
I dont know, i read a lot and im still not sure about what sound card to buy, asus xonar (and what version), creative x-fi, onkyo... Or whatever... Some say titanium hd, some say xonar essence stx, some even say "keep your onboard card and buy a mixamp"...
post #19 of 32
Thread Starter 
I dont know, i read a lot and im still not sure about what sound card to buy, asus xonar (and what version), creative x-fi, onkyo... Or whatever... Some say titanium hd, some say xonar essence stx, some even say "keep your onboard card and buy a mixamp"...
post #20 of 32
Thread Starter 
Im almost deciding on xonar essence coz i dont care for eax and old games. And i also listen to music and watch some movies on it.
post #21 of 32

Shame you don't care for the classics (DotT aside), but it's your call. The Xonar Essence STX is a competent card, by all accounts.

 

Source-engine games and Borderlands 2 would see some benefit from X-Fi cards if you know how to set them up right, but for the latter, you could just use Rapture3D's headphone HRTF modes if Dolby Headphone wasn't good enough for you.

post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurmal View Post

I'm almost deciding on Xonar Essence coz I don't care for EAX and old games. And I also listen to music and watch some movies on it.

I'm an Xonar fan and Essence STX owner.

 

But right now at J&R you can get the Creative Titanium HD for $99.

http://www.jr.com/creative-labs/pe/CLN_SB1270/

The Titanium HD has slightly better DAC and op-amps then the STX.

 

You can pair that with a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99 (+shipping & tax).

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

 

The Schiit Magni amplifier has a lower impedance (>1-Ohm) then the Essence STX's (10-Ohm) amplifier, the low impedance is a benefit for using low Ohm headphones.

I would also assume they Magni is a least equal to the Essence STX for driving high impedance (600-Ohm) headphones.

The Magni is external, so less chance of electrical noise interfearence from inside the computer case.

Plus you can easily use the Magni any place that has an electrical outlet.

post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

But right now at J&R you can get the Creative Titanium HD for $99.
http://www.jr.com/creative-labs/pe/CLN_SB1270/
The Titanium HD has slightly better DAC and op-amps then the STX.

You can pair that with a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, $99 (+shipping & tax).
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=13

+1

That sounds like the optimal setup for a gamer for under $200.
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+1
That sounds like the optimal setup for a gamer for under $200.

Technically over $200, as there is a shipping charge for the Magni and maybe sales tax.

(just me nick picking)

post #25 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Technically over $200, as there is a shipping charge for the Magni and maybe sales tax.
(just me nick picking)

Heh, that should be around 260$ here, as i live in japan. 😜
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurmal View Post
Heh, that should be around 260$ here, as i live in japan. 😜

 

Hey, at least you can get some good prices on second-hand Stax equipment over there! Prices that I'd almost kill for here in the US.

post #27 of 32

So just get the Xonar DG or DGX sound card.

post #28 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

Hey, at least you can get some good prices on second-hand Stax equipment over there! Prices that I'd almost kill for here in the US.

What would be a good dac and amp to use with the x-fi titan hd?
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurmal View Post


What would be a good dac and amp to use with the x-fi titan hd?

The Titanium HD already comes with a good DAC chip, so I'll you need is an external headphone amplifier.

post #30 of 32

Would the Titanium HD be a better DAC then the Schiit Modi?  Im only asking because they would be comparable in price, are there any advantages or disadvantages of one versus the other?
 


Edited by ks12 - 1/20/13 at 12:46am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Ideal xonar sound card for my pc