New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best basshead headphones? - Page 4

post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

 

For a basshead, yes. I've done a fair amount of comparisons of basshead headphones already throughout Head-Fi. If you want a massive amount of bass impact, you'd be better served getting a headphone more capable of bass impact and using JetAudio from Cowon devices, BBE with iDevices, or possibly a ZO 2. The list provides plenty of capable headphones all of which will provide less distortion than a Beats. I personally like the Ultrasone HFI-580 with a Cowon, but the OP should have a good idea if he does a bit of research here.

 

 His source is an iPod classic.................Studio Beats will not distort on an iPod classic even at max volume. 

 

 Advise him to get a headphone amp to boost his source then you have a case, but straight from an iPod classic you should revise your findings. 

post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

 

 His source is an iPod classic.................Studio Beats will not distort on an iPod classic even at max volume. 

 

 Advise him to get a headphone amp to boost his source then you have a case, but straight from an iPod classic you should revise your findings. 

 

I said BBE for iDevices work fine. I'm not part of the group that likes to double amp my portable DAPs. That's asking for clipping. Beats will not distort on an iPod classic at maximum volume??? Those things are a distorted mess even at normal volumes. But no matter. OP says he's not an audiophile and I just realized this thread is freaking old.

post #48 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

 

 Beats will not distort on an iPod classic at maximum volume??? Those things are a distorted mess even at normal volumes. 

 

 Ok, either you've never heard a pair of unamped Studio Beats on an iPod in your life, or you've heard a pair of fakes (which there is an abundance of)

 

 Please borrow a pair from a friend (and make sure they're not fakes, there are many youtube videos showing how to id them) and try exactly what I said.........max volume on an iPod or any Apple device.........you will not get distortion. I do listening tests with these headphones at least once every two weeks with friends and pro engineers as a point of reference, I know these cans inside and out.  

post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

 

 Ok, either you've never heard a pair of unamped Studio Beats on an iPod in your life, or you've heard a pair of fakes (which there is an abundance of)

 

 Please borrow a pair from a friend (and make sure they're not fakes, there are many youtube videos showing how to id them) and try exactly what I said.........max volume on an iPod or any Apple device.........you will not get distortion. I do listening tests with these headphones at least once every two weeks with friends and pro engineers as a point of reference, I know these cans inside and out.  

 

Can't say I remember the Studios I borrowed in terms of distortion. At least the Beats Pros that I bought and burned in were a distorted mess. I doubt the Studios would be much better than the Pros but maybe it is. I just remember finding the Beats Studios to be utterly disappointing.

 

My Pros experience is recorded here http://www.head-fi.org/t/568600/monster-beats-pro-is-like-a-sony-xb

 

Not all opinions of Beats on Head-fi are based on stubbornness. Some of us bassheads try to give them a chance, but in this ocean of headphones, DAPs, amplifiers, and DSPs, Beats do not exceed in any category and is mostly just average.

post #50 of 64

 Right. Are you sure those weren't fakes? Also, what was the source?

post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

 Right. Are you sure those weren't fakes? Also, what was the source?

 

They were purchased from Best Buy. Sources were Cowon J3, Iphone 4, Anedio D1.

post #52 of 64

 Ahhhh, Beats are best without amplification. Take the Cowon and theD1 out of the chain.

post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

 Ahhhh, Beats are best without amplification. Take the Cowon and theD1 out of the chain.

If I had a desktop DAC, obviously it's not plugged into a portable.
post #54 of 64

some of the best you can buy XB500, Pro 700MK2's. V MODA LP.

post #55 of 64

well ok now that inthere has totally destroyed this thread... I MEAN THE BEATS STUDIOS LEAK sound and he doesn't want that so all this arguing is for nothing

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

 People are avoiding the obvious because mentioning them means ostracization. Studio Beats are what you're looking for, The have more bass than the LP2's and they're also louder. They also have a way better soundstage than the LP2's and sweeter mids. V-Moda is the cool name on this forum however and Val has endeared himself to the populace, but I own both LP2's and Studio Beats and this is the truth. 

 

At least they wont break, I have listened to beats studios and didn't think they had all that much bass? Yes more than normal but not like Klipsch Image ONE, Turbine Golds or Pro 700 MKII's?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepu View Post


Their bass is kinda loose and it tends to drown other sounds too much. Generally if you think their looks are worth an extra $100-200 on top of the middling sound quality you might consider Beats. Otherwise there are much better headphones at the same price range.

 

And for non-leaky headphones with a good, prominent bass I would look at the general closed-back repertoire. ATH-M50 is the flavor-of-the-month, Denons (D400, D600 etc.) tend to have pretty good bass. My own choice is Focal Spirit One for the more bassy stuff. The bass goes deep and hard when needed without overwhelming other frequencies. Formerly mentioned Beyerdynamic DT770 is good too, though judging by what you're saying you might have a more emphasized bass instead of just tight and clear bass.

I'm sorry I know the OP is probably confused but the M50's, Denon's you listed and the Focal have no where near enough bass, maybe with a ZO2, idk but stock there not even close, the DT770's are better.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

 

Uh huh. But that's the best bass experience for YOU. A large number of people don't consider Beats "fart cannons". Just about every pair of Beats ever sold since inception has had a demo version on display to listen to, and it's still the world's best selling headphone. The Op said LP2's had too little bass. Studio Beats has more bass and it's louder. Without a headphone amp, no other set of cans is going to come close to giving him that "ton of bass" he's looking for.

 

He said he's using an iPod touch. I try to explain the headphone amp experience to Beats users and they point out that it's stupid, clumsy, and it's PITA taking pictures, videos, and doing other stuff. Beats are so loud that they don't need a headphone amp, and without the amp he can also use the mic to take calls and do voice commands and other things. 

 

 Now Beats is not my ideal portable experience because I'm not a basehead. 90% of the latest portable cans have too much bass for me. But I understand that people have different listening preferences than me and I respect that. To the Op I say just go to the store and listen, because Beats are in every store. There's also a wide selection of other brands BECAUSE of Beats. 

They are the best selling head phone because people are sheep and they buy what they are told to and beats advertise x10000 more atleast than sennheiser, beyer or anyone else and all that money is payed for by there over priced products. Also they are worn by a lot of payed endorsed rappers and athleets so gangsters wanna wear them for street cred and bling.

 

Also again the Studios LEAK! Probably more than any other headphone were talking about.

 

PM for ideas on mounting a headphone amp to an ipod touch and still being able to use the cammera fine.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMax99 View Post

Alright...I finally have sometime to compare a few of my (mid-fi) bass heavy headphones, here are some of my thoughts on the sound of their bass only (please keep in mind that I'm still fairly new in the audiophile world, so these are NOT expert opinions..lol):

Sony xb1000:

The bass on the xb1000 is very good and goes really DEEP (feels like being punched constantly in the brain). I have heard many people describing them sounding as if they are in the center of a club when they are listening to them. They are right!!

It's good for when you're in a clubbing and heads-shaking mood :P

V-Moda M100:

I think V-Moda has done a very good job on the bass of these headphones, it sounds very unique and different to the other ones. The bass sounds much quicker, more defined/refined , clean and punchy (feels like I'm being punched constantly in the brain, but much DEEPER into the brain with these).

It's good when you want some quick punchy clarity bass and brain damage.

Ultrasone Pro900:

Their bass sound very good and deep too, and I haven't heard any distortion like some people have reported. The bass on these headphones are definitely much DARKER though. It also sounded much SAFER. SAFER? Yes, SAFER...it's almost like you're being punched in the head with a thin pillow between your head and the headphone. No wonder Ultrasone claims that they have safe hearing Technology in them; now I definitely believe them.

It is good when you feel like no brain or hearing damage is needed on those days.

Sony XB500:

Pretty good impacting bass too, but sounds much more boomy and muddy in my opinion.


So....at the end of the day....they all have very GOOD bass with different characteristics!!biggrin.gif:D:D

I agree althought I think a bass boosting amp would be needed for the M100's but then would be right up there with the rest.


Edited by ScaryFatKidGT - 6/24/13 at 10:22pm
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ati832 View Post
 

the xb1000's is miles better headphone than the pro900 the pro900 cannot handle higher volumes and distorts the xb1000's does not distort at all on higher volumes, the bass impact on the pro 900's is pathetic compared to the xb1000's you literally are left with a new face once you listen to the xb1000 as the bass shakes your face apart, the pro900's were a big disappointment no good for bass heavy songs at all, the bass impact is nowhere near as good as the lp2's either the ws99 is better than the pro900's, I dont know what everyone is saying about the pro 900's that they are better than the xb1000's there not I have both

What do you think of the Audio-Technica WS99s?  How would you say they compare to the ATH-M50 or the V-Moda M-100?

post #57 of 64

How would you describe the mids on the V-Moda M-100s?  Would you happen to know how these headphones compare to the Audio-Technica WS99s or M-50s?

post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

I personally know dozens of Beats users that swear daily Beats are the best sounding headphones in the world.

I've had listening sessions with Beats owners where they preferred the sound of Beats over HD 800's, LCD 2's , and Ultrasone Edition 8's. I was extremely upset by that because of the amounts I spent on those cans.


But there are two sides to every coin and if you think your way is the only way while being oblivious to opposite opinions, you lack objectivity and that's a fault I try not to burden myself with.

The fact is though, that saying Beats suck is an opinion based on a personal preference that is overwhelmingly and completely and biased without a shred of fact that isn't based upon Internet urban legend.

As I mentioned previously, 90 % of Beats owners have heard their headphone in a store before purchasing them. To assume that all of those people knowingly bought cans that they didn't like and are basically idiots is a big stretch. However, if you'd like to convince yourself that you are in fact mentally superior to every single Beats owner on the planet, have at it.

 

 

You've made my day.

 

You are very funny, but try to learn how to judge sound ( what means congested sound, what means definition, resolution, detail and other stuff like that) before you rave about Beats. I agree, they have huge cheap subwoofery one-note bass and that's end of story. As an exemple I tried a 400$ golden filmsy pair of Beats in a mall, first contact with this brand and they were definitely worse than my cheapest headphones, Creative Aurvana Live ( just amazing for its price), aside from bass quantity.

 

I am sure one day you'll give up donate your money to marketing departments. The sooner, the better.


Edited by Andreas_D - 2/7/14 at 4:02pm
post #59 of 64
I know there probably plenty of users that don't agree with me, but I would recommended buying a pair of Beats.
post #60 of 64

I know this is an old thread but I am new and just saw it.   I used to have a pair of Beats Studio and they didn't sound bad at all but that was before I really got into sound. I still don't think they are bad for the average consumer, I think they are a little pricey for what you get but that's due to the whole Name Brand thing.  I honestly enjoy my XB700's (which are cheaper) much better than them.  Bass to me in the XB700's seems deeper and louder and where they lack in mids I don't think they're way to bad for treble but with that being said my XB700's are hooked up to an Amp and EQ.  So for hip hop and rap I would chose the xb700 over beats studio. XB700's aren't great for anything else though theyre to muddy to me for Rock and Techno

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home