New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best basshead headphones? - Page 3

post #31 of 60

Any love for 

audiotechnica ws77's?  They are great for the price however the subbass is a bit lacking so if your looking to bump some old school uk filth, you may be sad.  

however! house music sounds fantastic with them especially paired with my fiio e17.   

headphones are great for house but I would love to throw on a pair of cans that can articulate sub 50hz bass

post #32 of 60

the xb1000's is miles better headphone than the pro900 the pro900 cannot handle higher volumes and distorts the xb1000's does not distort at all on higher volumes, the bass impact on the pro 900's is pathetic compared to the xb1000's you literally are left with a new face once you listen to the xb1000 as the bass shakes your face apart, the pro900's were a big disappointment no good for bass heavy songs at all, the bass impact is nowhere near as good as the lp2's either the ws99 is better than the pro900's, I dont know what everyone is saying about the pro 900's that they are better than the xb1000's there not I have both

post #33 of 60

I had the XB1000s, they lack sub bass (yes amped) compared to the XB500 and XB700. The XB1000 also have 2 treble spikes which cause fatigue. These should be avoided.

post #34 of 60

xb500>xb1000.

Don't make the poor bastard waste 200 when he can spend 70 for better.

post #35 of 60

I wish RPGwizard was around still, he would explain.

post #36 of 60
Xb500>pro900
post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ati832 View Post

the xb1000's is miles better headphone than the pro900 the pro900 cannot handle higher volumes and distorts the xb1000's does not distort at all on higher volumes, the bass impact on the pro 900's is pathetic compared to the xb1000's you literally are left with a new face once you listen to the xb1000 as the bass shakes your face apart, the pro900's were a big disappointment no good for bass heavy songs at all, the bass impact is nowhere near as good as the lp2's either the ws99 is better than the pro900's, I dont know what everyone is saying about the pro 900's that they are better than the xb1000's there not I have both

My pro900 should be here tomorrow.. I'll compare it to my xb1000 wink.gif
post #38 of 60
Alright...I finally have sometime to compare a few of my (mid-fi) bass heavy headphones, here are some of my thoughts on the sound of their bass only (please keep in mind that I'm still fairly new in the audiophile world, so these are NOT expert opinions..lol):

Sony xb1000:

The bass on the xb1000 is very good and goes really DEEP (feels like being punched constantly in the brain). I have heard many people describing them sounding as if they are in the center of a club when they are listening to them. They are right!!

It's good for when you're in a clubbing and heads-shaking mood :P

V-Moda M100:

I think V-Moda has done a very good job on the bass of these headphones, it sounds very unique and different to the other ones. The bass sounds much quicker, more defined/refined , clean and punchy (feels like I'm being punched constantly in the brain, but much DEEPER into the brain with these).

It's good when you want some quick punchy clarity bass and brain damage.

Ultrasone Pro900:

Their bass sound very good and deep too, and I haven't heard any distortion like some people have reported. The bass on these headphones are definitely much DARKER though. It also sounded much SAFER. SAFER? Yes, SAFER...it's almost like you're being punched in the head with a thin pillow between your head and the headphone. No wonder Ultrasone claims that they have safe hearing Technology in them; now I definitely believe them.

It is good when you feel like no brain or hearing damage is needed on those days.

Sony XB500:

Pretty good impacting bass too, but sounds much more boomy and muddy in my opinion.


So....at the end of the day....they all have very GOOD bass with different characteristics!!biggrin.gif:D:D
Edited by DMax99 - 6/15/13 at 8:31am
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

Uh huh. But that's the best bass experience for YOU. A large number of people don't consider Beats "fart cannons". Just about every pair of Beats ever sold since inception has had a demo version on display to listen to, and it's still the world's best selling headphone.

Ummm...you argument provides no evidence of the quality of Beats. The very large consensus at Head-Fi is that they are a very poor value at their MSRP. If you want to learn why that is true and why your argument is invalid, see the "Constructive "Anti-Beats" headphone discussion" thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613664/constructive-anti-beats-headphone-discussion .

Meanwhile, to help aetain and others trying to get basshead phone recommendations: Check out the basshead club in the member's lounge: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club . Lots of serious bassheads talking about headphones and amps, and good resources listed in the first post smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by cel4145 - 6/15/13 at 9:46am
post #40 of 60
That thread is filled with misinformation and Urban legend perpetuated by extremely biased members of this site. I personally know dozens of Beats users that swear daily Beats are the best sounding headphones in the world. I'll sit down in an airport and a Beats user will offer me their headphones because they're certain their Beats sound better than whatever I'm wearing.

I've had listening sessions with Beats owners where they preferred the sound of Beats over HD 800's, LCD 2's , and Ultrasone Edition 8's. I was extremely upset by that because of the amounts I spent on those cans.

But I actually took time to analyse why they felt like they did.

1. On unamped sources, Beats are louder and have a more "full" sound than any other headphone. To someone used to the Beats sound, all other cans sound thin in comparison.
2. I had to acknowledge the act that others have different preferences in the the way they listen to music than me. Some people love sub bass and other don't want any a all.
3. Very few people have considered Beats a "fashion accessory" for at least a couple of years now and the only people that still do are people that don't leave their homes much.(I.e. nerds)
4. The preferred method of headphone listening right now is on smartphones and portable mp 3 players. What people on Head Fi don't realise is that very few people want the added burden of a headphone amp when they're on the move. I argued with my girlfriend about this and she brought up some valid points: A. It's very difficult to take photos, videos, send texts, and just about everything else when you're dragging around a headphone amp. B. Nerds don't have social lives, so there's nobody to take pictures of and no one to send text messages to.

Now of course #4 is probably a misconception much the same way that all Beats users are wearing their Beats only as fashion accessories while being completely aware that their cans sound like crap and they're all idiots and sheep.

But there are two sides to every coin and if you think your way is the only way while being oblivious to opposite opinions, you lack objectivity and that's a fault I try not to burden myself with.

The fact is though, that saying Beats suck is an opinion based on a personal preference that is overwhelmingly and completely and biased without a shred of fact that isn't based upon Internet urban legend.

As I mentioned previously, 90 % of Beats owners have heard their headphone in a store before purchasing them. To assume that all of those people knowingly bought cans that they didn't like and are basically idiots is a big stretch. However, if you'd like to convince yourself that you are in fact mentally superior to every single Beats owner on the planet, have at it.
Edited by inthere - 6/15/13 at 12:36pm
post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Meanwhile, to help aetain and others trying to get basshead phone recommendations: Check out the basshead club in the member's lounge: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club . Lots of serious bassheads talking about headphones and amps, and good resources listed in the first post smily_headphones1.gif

 That list is a complete joke and further proves my point of how biased this site is. Studio Beats have more bass than every single set of headphones on that list and is the world's most popular headphone, yet it's not included. If you let a true basehead hear those headphones and told him they were basshead cans, he would laugh you out of the room after hearing at least 80% of the cans on that list. 


Edited by inthere - 6/15/13 at 12:59pm
post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

 That list is a complete joke and further proves my point of how biased this site is. Studio Beats have more bass than every single set of headphones on that list and is the world's most popular headphone, yet it's not included. If you let a true basehead hear those headphones and told him they were basshead cans, he would laugh you out of the room after hearing at least 80% of the cans on that list. 

 

"Beats by Dre Pro (~$400)"

 

That's good enough considering the Beats Pro sounds like a bear making love to a hyena through a speakerphone. I've bought Beats pro and borrowed Studios. Compared with some headphones on there, they really aren't the headphones with the most bass or the most impact. Even for bassheads, the Beats are just average. 

post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

 

"Beats by Dre Pro (~$400)"

 

That's good enough considering the Beats Pro sounds like a bear making love to a hyena through a speakerphone. I've bought Beats pro and borrowed Studios. Compared with some headphones on there, they really aren't the headphones with the most bass or the most impact. Even for bassheads, the Beats are just average. 

 Studio Beats have a lot more Beats than Beats Pro. On the source the OP is talking about (iPod classic) no pair of headphones on that list is going to have more bass than Studio Beats. 

 

 Studio Beats just an average amount of bass? Really?

post #44 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

 That list is a complete joke and further proves my point of how biased this site is. Studio Beats have more bass than every single set of headphones on that list and is the world's most popular headphone, yet it's not included. If you let a true basehead hear those headphones and told him they were basshead cans, he would laugh you out of the room after hearing at least 80% of the cans on that list. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

That thread is filled with misinformation and Urban legend perpetuated by extremely biased members of this site. I personally know dozens of Beats users that swear daily Beats are the best sounding headphones in the world. I'll sit down in an airport and a Beats user will offer me their headphones because they're certain their Beats sound better than whatever I'm wearing.

Yeah, well the very, very, very large majority of users on head-fi find them to be overpriced for their performance; if their actual selling price was half of their current MRSP, it would be a different story. Dying on your sword trying to recommend them anyway serves no useful purpose other than to clog up a thread with yet another useless Beats debate. It's all be done in that Beats criticism thread (and other threads), and if it hasn't covered what you feel is important, add your perspective there.
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post

 Studio Beats have a lot more Beats than Beats Pro. On the source the OP is talking about (iPod classic) no pair of headphones on that list is going to have more bass than Studio Beats. 

 

 Studio Beats just an average amount of bass? Really?

 

For a basshead, yes. I've done a fair amount of comparisons of basshead headphones already throughout Head-Fi. If you want a massive amount of bass impact, you'd be better served getting a headphone more capable of bass impact and using JetAudio from Cowon devices, BBE with iDevices, or possibly a ZO 2. The list provides plenty of capable headphones all of which will provide less distortion than a Beats. I personally like the Ultrasone HFI-580 with a Cowon, but the OP should have a good idea if he does a bit of research here.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home