Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Rubber Bands ?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rubber Bands ?! - Page 4

post #46 of 60

Hardware store - O-rings.  Either 1/16" or 1/8" cross section.  Find a diameter that works.  They will probably be in the plumbing section.  Pennies a piece, and they work great.

post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post


You planning on taking your rig to a rave H20?

A little like ender said, I listen a lot laying down with no lights on late at night, the added glow would be pretty cool. normal_smile%20.gif

But yes, raving is an option. wink.gif "ping"
post #48 of 60
I read somewhere that the SQ changes if one uses more expensive negative ion silicone bands over cheap rubber bands. Is this true?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Just kidding. I couldn't resist. I could easily imagine some audiophile snake oil product making this claim wink.gif
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I read somewhere that the SQ changes if one uses more expensive negative ion silicone bands over cheap rubber bands. Is this true?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Just kidding. I couldn't resist. I could easily imagine some audiophile snake oil product making this claim wink.gif


blink.gif tell us how you really feel...

post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I read somewhere that the SQ changes if one uses more expensive negative ion silicone bands over cheap rubber bands. Is this true?

 

Har har, that's just silly.  As long as you properly burn-in the rubber bands, they'll sound great.  There's no need for fancy bands just yet, so save your money until you find a good deal on ones that have continuous cast silicone and silver silkscreening.

post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

Har har, that's just silly.  As long as you properly burn-in the rubber bands, they'll sound great.  There's no need for fancy bands just yet, so save your money until you find a good deal on ones that have continuous cast silicone and silver silkscreening.

Oh, come on. Burn in is a myth. Show me an ABX between fresh from the box crappy rubber bands and burned in rubber bands. Nothing can make crap rubber bands any better. It will however, enourmously benefit your high quality bands (which any REAL audiophile already owns, of course) as long as you use balanced neg-ion bands with proper spacers.

post #52 of 60

I find that if I place my bands in my master chair in the listening room and play side 2 of led zepplin 4 at 78% volume for 4 days and 21 hours that those bands really make my portable amps sound so much cleaner and punchier.

post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocoolhifi View Post

I find that if I place my bands in my master chair in the listening room and play side 2 of led zepplin 4 at 78% volume for 4 days and 21 hours that those bands really make my portable amps sound so much cleaner and punchier.

Oh, COME ON. Everyone knows the scientifically sound method is to use 83.549% for 3 days, 16 hours, 12 minutes, 35 and a quarter seconds. God, some people just don't understand proper rubber band techniques these days.

post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender323 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

Har har, that's just silly.  As long as you properly burn-in the rubber bands, they'll sound great.  There's no need for fancy bands just yet, so save your money until you find a good deal on ones that have continuous cast silicone and silver silkscreening.

 

Oh, come on. Burn in is a myth. Show me an ABX between fresh from the box crappy rubber bands and burned in rubber bands. Nothing can make crap rubber bands any better. It will however, enourmously benefit your high quality bands (which any REAL audiophile already owns, of course) as long as you use balanced neg-ion bands with proper spacers.

 

I'd have to disagree there.  While it will not make a night-and-day change, rubber bands are still devices that undergo mechanical stresses.  And like any such part, it will be susceptible to repeated stress via burn-in over time.  So rather than go off on a crazy hunt for different headphones, amps, dacs, cables etc. that might sound better - you should always begin with proper band burn-in first.  Even if they're of the more budget variety.

post #55 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender323 View Post

Oh, COME ON. Everyone knows the scientifically sound method is to use 83.549% for 3 days, 16 hours, 12 minutes, 35 and a quarter seconds. God, some people just don't understand proper rubber band techniques these days.

Oh you are using the wrong listening distance of 10.245 feet, it should be 12.7748. Please apply those corrections and retest.
post #56 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender323 View Post

Oh, COME ON. Everyone knows the scientifically sound method is to use 83.549% for 3 days, 16 hours, 12 minutes, 35 and a quarter seconds. God, some people just don't understand proper rubber band techniques these days.

Yeah. But what about silicone vs natural rubber bands? Surely the different elasticity properties would indicate a different burn-in time?
post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Yeah. But what about silicone vs natural rubber bands? Surely the different elasticity properties would indicate a different burn-in time?

Natural Rubber Bands - Rookie tongue_smile.gif

post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Yeah. But what about silicone vs natural rubber bands? Surely the different elasticity properties would indicate a different burn-in time?

Natural? Seriously? Nature has no place in Head-Fi. Excuse me while I plug my amp into this tree and shove a stick in my ear.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocoolhifi View Post


Oh you are using the wrong listening distance of 10.245 feet, it should be 12.7748. Please apply those corrections and retest.

I'm sorry, but 12.7748 is only useful if you are within .254 miles of the equator. Anywhere else, 10.245 is obviously the way to go.

post #59 of 60

I have an idea.
If you guys have a sewing machine (or you can do it by hand) and buy this and make a custom carry case
to wear with the belt.

http://www.clasohlson.com/se/Sp%C3%A4nnrem/Pr351281000

or a combination with both

Elastic band for trousers

I´m sure you guys can find those very cheap in US.

Since I live in Sweden, everything is so hard to get and to order things from abroad, the shipment will cost a lot.
So DIY is the choice to be. (An excuse for my self when I´m not rich) haha

Unfortunately my tin amps is not working properly. Maybe later I can just make one to show you guys what I mean,

it shouldn´t be so hard.

Updated A few hours later:

 

I only had that "luggage band" at home, so I did a try.
 


I use Cable tie to set the Sansa Clip Zip together with the amp.
Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-Cable-Winder-Tie-Band-Marker-Strap-Wire-Organizer-for-PC-Laptop-Dell-Acer-HP-/261045888987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cc78c27db
I designed it so it won´t scrap the tin when it´s together.

 


I think it would be so much easier to make if I had some elastic band. But I´m pretty satisfied with the result, it´s super sturdy. biggrin.gif
It´s a shame that my amp doesn´t work. Hope I can find someone who can fix it in the future.

Hope you guys like it, I just did it for you folks in Head-Fi.


 


Edited by dragonhf - 8/11/13 at 7:02pm
post #60 of 60
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Rubber Bands ?!