Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir, Burson HA-160D, or Violectric V100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir, Burson HA-160D, or Violectric V100 - Page 3

post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

Oh geez, you're absolutely right, I'd probably save moneys going with Mjolnir..

 

That sounds like a good choice. I had the V200 and the Mjolnir at the same time and the V200 had to go after that.I do wish they were the same size but can't have everything. 

post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

 

That sounds like a good choice. I had the V200 and the Mjolnir at the same time and the V200 had to go after that.I do wish they were the same size but can't have everything. 

ohhhh, do you pair the Mjolnir with your He-6 or HD800 in order to go to this conclusion? ^^

I am owning the LCD-2 now and I think that the HD800 and LCD2 have the different demands in amps.

Thanks


Edited by tamleo - 1/8/13 at 4:44am
post #33 of 67

I found the Mjolnir to be better than the V200 with the HD800 and HE6. The V200 has more versatility however in that you can use sensitive customs and drive everything well short of something like the HE6. Also you don't need your headphones recabled to a balanced termination.

post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryUprising View Post

 

Here was my thought process $830 (v100) vs $1k (v200) is not a huge difference in price so I just sprung for the v200. =D

 

I think when you get to a certain level, we all just spring for the slightly 'better' one and no one really has much experience with the v100.

 

I LOVE my v200 with the LCD2 (even compared with the WA6-SE, which i prefer with the HD650).

Thank you. Good idea indeed but i found the V100s are quite far cheaper compared to the V200 in the sale-trade forum. The 2nd V200s are still out of my budget ^^!

post #35 of 67
Thread Starter 

Do you guys find that spending $1000+ on an amp for headphones that are $1000 seems a bit ridiculous? Just because I have a high post count doesn't necessarily mean I have a lot of experience, I'm literally more noob than a lot of newer members. I just used to rant a lot when I was a kid on here.

 

You always know nothing about the stuff you don't own right? :)

post #36 of 67

Sure, I'd like to pay less for ancillary components. There are headphones that accommodate that. The LCD-2 is one of them, as I don't think it's resolving enough to demand better (it can sound good from most components). An amp that can satisfy its power requirements can improve bass control and, if going balanced, its claustrophobic soundstage can be addressed to an extent. Ramping up the source will yield more subtle results.

 

The HD800 though demands that all components be in harmony. The Mjolnir is a good amp for it, but there is an assumption it may be too upfront and grating. This is true if these characteristics are inherent in your source component. Get every step in the chain right and the HD800 will reward you for it. If you're not willing to venture down that path, you're best to look at less demanding and revealing headphones.

post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

Do you guys find that spending $1000+ on an amp for headphones that are $1000 seems a bit ridiculous? Just because I have a high post count doesn't necessarily mean I have a lot of experience, I'm literally more noob than a lot of newer members. I just used to rant a lot when I was a kid on here.

 

You always know nothing about the stuff you don't own right? :)


Seeing as the amp is the second most important thing in the chain I'm not too hard-pressed parting with the same amount of cash (in this instance) especially considering its quality and synergy (v200)

post #38 of 67
Thread Starter 

Actually I love the HD800 with the same equipment I'm using lol. It way benefits from good amps though from what I read.

 

Now how important is it that I have a Gungnir?

post #39 of 67

When you find an adequate amp, the DAC will reveal itself as just as important (if not more so). The Gungnir/MJ stack is great for the LCD-2. Less so for the HD800 (though it's impressive initially when coming from lesser gear).

post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

Actually I love the HD800 with the same equipment I'm using lol. It way benefits from good amps though from what I read.

 

Now how important is it that I have a Gungnir?

 

I use the Mjolnir with LCD-2s and 3s and have been extremely satisfied with the amp. There's a Kim Kardashian-size but here though, and that is; but be darn careful what you feed it. The amp is about as discreet and kind as Daniel Tosh (thankfully, without the puke videos.) In other words, if your source or recordings are not up to snuff you will be made painfully aware of it.

 

With the Bifrost, there was occasional harshness. That all went away when I upgraded to the Gungnir. If you wanted to try something cheaper, there seems to be good buzz around the Micromega MyDAC ($369.)

post #41 of 67

45longcolt can you do a comparision of your setup between the bifrost and gungnir ? 

post #42 of 67

Both the V100 and V200 are great for the LCD2's or the V181 if you go balanced which is the V200 but with a single 4-pin XLR balanced output. I also second the Soloist pick over the old HA-160D but to be honest the V200/V181 sits on top of both Bursons. Haven't heard the Mjunior but you'd need to go balanced for that which shouldn't be a problem if you have a balanced DAC (and cables which you most likely already have).

post #43 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Both the V100 and V200 are great for the LCD2's or the V181 if you go balanced which is the V200 but with a single 4-pin XLR balanced output. I also second the Soloist pick over the old HA-160D but to be honest the V200/V181 sits on top of both Bursons. Haven't heard the Mjunior but you'd need to go balanced for that which shouldn't be a problem if you have a balanced DAC (and cables which you most likely already have).

 

I like when someone says something sh*ts on something else. I will be paying close attention to your advice lol.

 

What do I use for a DAC if I can find a V181? Now I know this is STUPID as hell coming from a cable MOT, but how big of an improvement am I looking at going balanced? I'm really just gonna reterminate my shiet to 4-pin and mylar wrap my L/R channels separately before sheathing 'em.

 

Basically here's what it is, I KNOW if I spend $1500 I will be happy, you would be dumb to spend that much on anything and not be super happy, but trying to really draw the line on what I think is too much for audio. I just picked up a mean shoe buying habit (I'm straight lol) and I have limited funds and audio just isn't getting the priority it used to and I got a name to uphold right?

 

The LCD-2's have never really blown me away and all my head-fi bros are fingerpointing at my source/amp right now. JH13's outperform my LCD-2's coming out of an RSA Predator from an iPhone 5...

post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

 

I like when someone says something sh*ts on something else. I will be paying close attention to your advice lol.

 

What do I use for a DAC if I can find a V181? Now I know this is STUPID as hell coming from a cable MOT, but how big of an improvement am I looking at going balanced? I'm really just gonna reterminate my shiet to 4-pin and mylar wrap my L/R channels separately before sheathing 'em.

 

Basically here's what it is, I KNOW if I spend $1500 I will be happy, you would be dumb to spend that much on anything and not be super happy, but trying to really draw the line on what I think is too much for audio. I just picked up a mean shoe buying habit (I'm straight lol) and I have limited funds and audio just isn't getting the priority it used to and I got a name to uphold right?

 

The LCD-2's have never really blown me away and all my head-fi bros are fingerpointing at my source/amp right now. JH13's outperform my LCD-2's coming out of an RSA Predator from an iPhone 5...

 

Well not exactly schitting all over the Burson it's just a big thanks to Lake People that their Violectric range pairs extremely well with the LCD2's, I honestly have no clue what those that say it pairs well with the HD800 are smoking I found quite the opposite when I had my V100 and listening to a few other V200 and V181 at A2A here. Going balanced can make a night and day difference that is if your source is of high quality, your music source and your DAC. A good source will determine the quality you'd be hearing from your headphones. Cables can give or take less than 10% of an improvement, very subtle stuff.

 

I agree also, the LCD2's have never really blown me away as well, not saying they are bad headphones but the sound is sort of underwhelming compared to a few other can's I own and have heard. Not surprised you found your JH13's besting your LCD2's, my LCD2's stopped with headtime since I got the ES5's last year and they still don't get headtime because I've some Stax Omega's coming in and during this time my HD800 and my HD600 spend most of it's time on head.

 

But seriously get yourself a cheap used V100 and grace the 90% of enjoyment of what a V200 can offer. 


Edited by DefQon - 1/24/13 at 3:58am
post #45 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

 

Well not exactly schitting all over the Burson it's just a big thanks to Lake People that their Violectric range pairs extremely well with the LCD2's, I honestly have no clue what those that say it pairs well with the HD800 are smoking I found quite the opposite when I had my V100 and listening to a few other V200 and V181 at A2A here. Going balanced can make a night and day difference that is if your source is of high quality, your music source and your DAC. A good source will determine the quality you'd be hearing from your headphones. Cables can give or take less than 10% of an improvement, very subtle stuff.

 

I agree also, the LCD2's have never really blown me away as well, not saying they are bad headphones but the sound is sort of underwhelming compared to a few other can's I own and have heard. Not surprised you found your JH13's besting your LCD2's, my LCD2's stopped with headtime since I got the ES5's last year and they still don't get headtime because I've some Stax Omega's coming in and during this time my HD800 and my HD600 spend most of it's time on head.

 

But seriously get yourself a cheap used V100 and grace the 90% of enjoyment of what a V200 can offer. 

 

I actually prefer HD800 to LCD-2, I was just trying it out for a bit but I got a really good deal on LCD-2's so here I am.

 

LOL lets not get into cable talk, that'll get me in trouble. I'm more than happy with my cable setup. I have my own stuff, Q-Audio, and Double Helix :)

 

So this dude wants to offer me a pretty good deal on this Matrix M-Stage amp with it's matching DAC. Good idea, bad idea? Thats about $600 of gear for half price basically. That could almost buy me a used Bifrost/Lyr rig. I've just had it before though thats all.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir, Burson HA-160D, or Violectric V100