Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audiophile by accident . The Hobby: An Unexpected Journey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audiophile by accident . The Hobby: An Unexpected Journey - Page 5

post #61 of 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.gheorghe View Post

 

My wallet started to like you, as it would be cheaper to get the momentum (which would make an excellent portable headphone as well). 
The wall also contains the D5000, which almost everybody agree that is weaker than d7000. He didn't put them on the wall because they were to expensive, and considered the d5000 to be a better value.

 

Tyll:

 

 

 

The problem is that the treble on D5000 is most probably even more problematic than of D7000... Actually, from many impressions I've read through, D7000 shouldn't have overemphasised bass like D5000 have (I have seen graphs on innerfidelity to support this and my other thoughts) and their treble should be a little less evident than of D5000. I am sure that D5000 is going to be a better value but I would be worried to buy D5000 before trying, for sure. People dangerously often mention that D5000 are more fun than D7000 which in reality implies even more U-shaped sound signature.

 

However, Momentum should be very similar to LCD-2 in their sound signature (very flat bass and mids along with not overemphasised treble) and that's what I like very much... For me, it would be a clear purchase if ever needed a closed-back pair. Or, you can wait until Audeze releases their closed headphone :-)

post #62 of 435

if you fancied the D7000 route just get a heavily modded D2000

post #63 of 435
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys. I really must get my ears behind a Momentum, D2000, D7000 and D5000 atsmile.gif

post #64 of 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

The problem is that the treble on D5000 is most probably even more problematic than of D7000... Actually, from many impressions I've read through, D7000 shouldn't have overemphasised bass like D5000 have (I have seen graphs on innerfidelity to support this and my other thoughts) and their treble should be a little less evident than of D5000. I am sure that D5000 is going to be a better value but I would be worried to buy D5000 before trying, for sure. People dangerously often mention that D5000 are more fun than D7000 which in reality implies even more U-shaped sound signature.

 

However, Momentum should be very similar to LCD-2 in their sound signature (very flat bass and mids along with not overemphasised treble) and that's what I like very much... For me, it would be a clear purchase if ever needed a closed-back pair. Or, you can wait until Audeze releases their closed headphone :-)


D5k has the most relaxed treble out of Fostex Denons and biggest bass. Momentum are really nothing special and overhyped, mostly because of high marking Tyll gave them. Just another portable phones that sound like portable phones, it's not even fair comparing them and D5K esp. dampened, imho in stock form D5K bass is plain awful, not sure how anyone can like them like that.

If you need closed phones with somewhat similar to LCD signature give a closer look  to Sony MRD-1R and Mad Dogs. K550 would be another contender but they are quite a departure from LCD sound.

And thanks for your LCD-2/LCD-3 impressions, always enjoy reading your posts and entertaining stories.


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 1/24/13 at 7:01pm
post #65 of 435
Thread Starter 

Guys, I think I found the best "mod" for K550 to increase the clamping force! :)))) :

 

 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post


D5k has the most relaxed treble out of Fostex Denons and biggest bass. Momentum are really nothing special and overhyped, mostly because of high marking Tyll gave them. Just another portable phones that sound like portable phones, it's not even fair comparing them and D5K esp. dampened, imho in stock form D5K bass is plain awful, not sure how anyone can like them like that.

If you need closed phones with somewhat similar to LCD signature give a closer look  to Sony MRD-1R and Mad Dogs. K550 would be another contender but they are quite a departure from LCD sound.

And thanks for your LCD-2/LCD-3 impressions, always enjoy reading your posts and entertaining stories.

 

 

Thanks Andrew! As you can see, I already have the K550 which I like a lot, but have some issues with the clamping force and if they do not fit the head ok the sound gets noticeably worse.

 

I thought I would go high endish in closed cans too, but that seems to be harder than I thought :)

post #66 of 435

This is such an interesting thread that I feel I should add my tuppence-worth of history!

 

Firstly, I don't consider myself an "audiophile" as that term has so many negative connotations. I consider myself a music-obsessive, and one that wants to hear music as the engineer intended.
 

When I was a young lad, I worshipped my older brother (9 years older than me): he played guitar in a band, had "cool" taste and was generally the dog's bollocks to me. We had many ups and downs financially as a family but I remember listening to a lot of classic rock (I remember a lot of the album covers more than I remember the music!) on my brother's stereo.

 

Fast-forward to me being around 18, in a decent job, and continuing my passion for music. I decided I wanted a "decent" hi-fi. I read What Hi-Fi and went to Richer Sounds (this will probably sound familiar to many UK members) to spend my hard-earned. I bought my first separates-system and it blew me away. It was my first "Wow!" moment, and the one that I've tried to recapture ever since (again, I'm sure that sounds familiar to many).

 

As life went on, I was lucky enough to try a lot of "good" (not stupidly expensive) hi-fi, and considered my time in the spare room with some good vinyl as a real luxury. I had a good AV system, a very nice hi-fi system, over 1000 CDs and a similar number of LPs. Then the devil interfered in the shape of divorce. Strangely almost everything I had dematerialised. The things she didn't take, I had to sell to survive.

 

To now! I'm remarried, very happy, but with no room for a dedicated hi-fi space: hence my interest in headphones! We're in a comfortable place, but by no means wealthy, so I have a lust to do things on the cheap as much as possible. I know that I will regain high-end audio nirvana one day, but other things are important right now (food, mortgage, bills and 2 teenage girls!)

 

I only read the "High-End" forums as a form of hi-fi porn. I don't belong here and fully expect to be ejected soon when the bouncers notice me.

post #67 of 435
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy1969 View Post

This is such an interesting thread that I feel I should add my tuppence-worth of history!

 

Firstly, I don't consider myself an "audiophile" as that term has so many negative connotations. I consider myself a music-obsessive, and one that wants to hear music as the engineer intended.
 

When I was a young lad, I worshipped my older brother (9 years older than me): he played guitar in a band, had "cool" taste and was generally the dog's bollocks to me. We had many ups and downs financially as a family but I remember listening to a lot of classic rock (I remember a lot of the album covers more than I remember the music!) on my brother's stereo.

 

Fast-forward to me being around 18, in a decent job, and continuing my passion for music. I decided I wanted a "decent" hi-fi. I read What Hi-Fi and went to Richer Sounds (this will probably sound familiar to many UK members) to spend my hard-earned. I bought my first separates-system and it blew me away. It was my first "Wow!" moment, and the one that I've tried to recapture ever since (again, I'm sure that sounds familiar to many).

 

As life went on, I was lucky enough to try a lot of "good" (not stupidly expensive) hi-fi, and considered my time in the spare room with some good vinyl as a real luxury. I had a good AV system, a very nice hi-fi system, over 1000 CDs and a similar number of LPs. Then the devil interfered in the shape of divorce. Strangely almost everything I had dematerialised. The things she didn't take, I had to sell to survive.

 

To now! I'm remarried, very happy, but with no room for a dedicated hi-fi space: hence my interest in headphones! We're in a comfortable place, but by no means wealthy, so I have a lust to do things on the cheap as much as possible. I know that I will regain high-end audio nirvana one day, but other things are important right now (food, mortgage, bills and 2 teenage girls!)

 

I only read the "High-End" forums as a form of hi-fi porn. I don't belong here and fully expect to be ejected soon when the bouncers notice me.

 

Thanks for sharing that James redface.gif . Everytime I hear a fellow headfier selling his audio stuff unwillingly, makes me extremely sad, as I know the time, passion and even feelings put into it. However I am happy you got back on your feet and got remarried as these things are more important than a hobby. However, I am sure that you will regain your audio-nirvana. I wish you good luck in all your endeavours!

 

I see you already have a 595 and fiio combo. That's a good restart. I use the e17 and the k550 at work and I am really happy with it! I consider the K550 to be in the entry audiophile level and it pairs extremely well with the e17. I also had the 595 a few years ago and liked it a lot.


Edited by dan.gheorghe - 1/26/13 at 4:14am
post #68 of 435

When I was 15,my brother bought a creative Muvo Mp3 player and after one years,he sold his to me for just 15USD(RM50),it is a 256mb Mp3 player and it is really cheap in that time,with the original earbud,I like the sound,and I bought some A4 Tech earphone (In ear and Earbud,one of them are 2 in 1 (In ear and earbud). After that,I upgraded and bought some sony,A4 tech and Creative Mp3/4 player. 

 

I started to work at a part time in Apple Store when I was 16, I save all my money,and bought a super cheap sound system (home set),a Bose 201 Bookshelf (Used unit),a Sony Cd player which can store as muchas 400Cds(Used unit),and a Kenwood integrated amp (Used old unit),and I used all of my money to buy original discs. In my place,original Cds are pricey.

 

The problem is my amplifier that distort a lot,and playing through speaker disturb my mum and I stopped to listen through home setup,insterad I started again to listen through Mp3 player. I bought  a Sony XD100 and XD200 (in that time,the only affordable brand that I knew). I love the sound of my XD200,drive it without amp and what so ever but I like it. Things was so simple int hat time. I am buying a lot of iems and in that time,I started to spend my money in photography,so stopped all. It was only after I bought a Creative Zen Xfi Mp4 player and started again to appreciate music( ALl this while,using the aged Creative Muvo 256mb),the bundled creative EP830 sounded good for me. Then it is when I stop my photography hobby,I bought myself a local DIY DAC,and a Sennheiser HD202,my hobby started to flame again. After that,I bought my cans,DAc and headphone amp and some good interconnects,the story never end,and now,I have been a headphone related stuffs reviewer and owned a headphone review site. I am happy that I can enjoy so much of good things. 

 

I go back to photography again! I love photography and music! Hehe..

post #69 of 435
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinspire View Post

When I was 15,my brother bought a creative Muvo Mp3 player and after one years,he sold his to me for just 15USD(RM50),it is a 256mb Mp3 player and it is really cheap in that time,with the original earbud,I like the sound,and I bought some A4 Tech earphone (In ear and Earbud,one of them are 2 in 1 (In ear and earbud). After that,I upgraded and bought some sony,A4 tech and Creative Mp3/4 player. 

 

I started to work at a part time in Apple Store when I was 16, I save all my money,and bought a super cheap sound system (home set),a Bose 201 Bookshelf (Used unit),a Sony Cd player which can store as muchas 400Cds(Used unit),and a Kenwood integrated amp (Used old unit),and I used all of my money to buy original discs. In my place,original Cds are pricey.

 

The problem is my amplifier that distort a lot,and playing through speaker disturb my mum and I stopped to listen through home setup,insterad I started again to listen through Mp3 player. I bought  a Sony XD100 and XD200 (in that time,the only affordable brand that I knew). I love the sound of my XD200,drive it without amp and what so ever but I like it. Things was so simple int hat time. I am buying a lot of iems and in that time,I started to spend my money in photography,so stopped all. It was only after I bought a Creative Zen Xfi Mp4 player and started again to appreciate music( ALl this while,using the aged Creative Muvo 256mb),the bundled creative EP830 sounded good for me. Then it is when I stop my photography hobby,I bought myself a local DIY DAC,and a Sennheiser HD202,my hobby started to flame again. After that,I bought my cans,DAc and headphone amp and some good interconnects,the story never end,and now,I have been a headphone related stuffs reviewer and owned a headphone review site. I am happy that I can enjoy so much of good things. 

 

I go back to photography again! I love photography and music! Hehe..

 

Nice story there Su and nice website! I like photography too, but got into audio more than photography. If i liked them both the same, I would have been on the streets now :)) . They both are expensive hobbies. 


Edited by dan.gheorghe - 1/26/13 at 7:02pm
post #70 of 435
What I want to know is if you would have bought the LCD 3 over the LCD 2 if you didn't have any headphones...
post #71 of 435
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Zuko View Post

What I want to know is if you would have bought the LCD 3 over the LCD 2 if you didn't have any headphones...

That is a hard question Neo.

 

If lcd2 wouldn't exist I would have definitely bought the model that now has the name of lcd3. But in the given situation I would have bought the lcd2, as I do not find the differences between the 2 to deserve the price differences, and lcd2 has some strong points too (for my tastes).

post #72 of 435
Yea I thought they were the same price when I asked that, but with different presentations. 2k is too much, yikes.
post #73 of 435

Best 2k I've ever spent! o2smile.gif

post #74 of 435
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milarepa View Post

Best 2k I've ever spent! o2smile.gif

Congrats on the purchase! o2smile.gif

post #75 of 435

Thank you my friend, for your kind words and great writing. I've had mine for only a few days, but I'm in love already. 3 out of 4 people who have listened to Jeff Buckley sing Hallelujah have had tears in their eyes so far. Simply awesome. The lcds and my tg!334s actually bring me more joy and envoke more pride than I feel for my beloved motorcycle. And my rig of course, I'll take the opportunity to show it off with a pic. This and the LCD3 is what one year of HF has done to me. Boy am I glad I am a bit nuts ;)

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Audiophile by accident . The Hobby: An Unexpected Journey