or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 558 vs. the HD 598
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 558 vs. the HD 598 - Page 7

post #91 of 130

Once again...

 

They are the same headphone. Only the pattern of the openings on the grill is different. This gives them each a slightly different frequency response, but neither has more or less "refinement," "detail retrieval," or any other technical advantages over the other.

 

The differences in frequency response might create the illusion of different technical abilities, but it's just an illusion.

post #92 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post
 

Once again...

 

They are the same headphone. Only the pattern of the openings on the grill is different. This gives them each a slightly different frequency response, but neither has more or less "refinement," "detail retrieval," or any other technical advantages over the other.

 

The differences in frequency response might create the illusion of different technical abilities, but it's just an illusion.


Thanks Palmfish!

I can breathe again now :)

post #93 of 130
I like the HD 558 for its rich warm smooth sound with wide sound stage and good clarity and comfort. I recommend them at its $128 price point without the slightest hesitation.

the HD 598 to my ears sounds a little sharper and clearer with tighter bass and more of a treble tilt, but no sibilance. I love both headphones equally.
post #94 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterpastor View Post

I like the HD 558 for its rich warm smooth sound with wide sound stage and good clarity and comfort. I recommend them at its $128 price point without the slightest hesitation.

the HD 598 to my ears sounds a little sharper and clearer with tighter bass and more of a treble tilt, but no sibilance. I love both headphones equally.


Damn!

 

Just when I think I'm out...they pull me back in! :)

post #95 of 130

Does anyone know if the cords are the same?

 

I'm now thinking a replacement cord might make the 558's a little more detailed.

post #96 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol View Post

I'm now thinking a replacement cord might make the 558's a little more detailed.

It won't
post #97 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post


It won't


Well if they share the same drivers and cords you must be right,PF...people who hear a real difference must be imagining it.

post #98 of 130
I purchased a shorter cord for the HD 598. No difference in sound quality, just easier to use with a smart phone
post #99 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterpastor View Post

I purchased a shorter cord for the HD 598. No difference in sound quality, just easier to use with a smart phone

was it from ebay or sennheiser's own website?

post #100 of 130

I contacted Sennheiser about the differences between the 558 and the 598 asking if it's true that they use the same parts except for the housing and the reply I got was "the 598's are Brighter."

post #101 of 130
Koukol, the HD 598s are brighter. But not harsh or sibilant. They are lush.

Streetdragon, I got the cord from Sennheiser. Less than 20 bucks.
post #102 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterpastor View Post

Koukol, the HD 598s are brighter. But not harsh or sibilant. They are lush.

Streetdragon, I got the cord from Sennheiser. Less than 20 bucks.


I'm not saying they're not but how can the 598's be brighter if they share the same drivers and cord as the 558's?


Edited by Koukol - 3/11/14 at 7:28pm
post #103 of 130
The drivers are tuned differently, the housing is different, the frequency range is wider on the 598, the bass and treble responses are different. I'm not really fluent in the science of it. Maybe there are others who can explain it better.
post #104 of 130

Housing can make a lot of difference to the sound, depending on the thickness and type of material of the earcup it can affect how the sound bounces off it. Also more clamping force on the HD558 creates a tighter seal making the sound a bit bassier.

post #105 of 130

"The drivers are tuned differently,"

 

 

I didn't know that...I suppose this would explain the 598's being brighter as housing usually effects only the bass...no?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 558 vs. the HD 598