Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 558 vs. the HD 598
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 558 vs. the HD 598 - Page 5

post #61 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol View Post


OK,

This plastic IS connected to the fabric but the whole thing will snap off.

So I guess if I want to use them this way I'll have to have the speakers exposed.

Has anyone been using them like this?
Could you post a picture? I am still not sure what you are talking about since you also didn't answer my question.
post #62 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post


Could you post a picture? I am still not sure what you are talking about since you also didn't answer my question.


I'll try

post #63 of 130

OK...the lighting wasn't very good and the picture quality of my phone sucks.

 

Front

Back

Without

post #64 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol View Post
 

OK...the lighting wasn't very good and the picture quality of my phone sucks.

Oh that piece. That's not where the foam tape is at all. You have to unscrew the whole driver housing plate to access the tape,

post #65 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

Completely agree with the above post. Don't do the same mistake as me.


StreetDragon,

 

 

I bought the 558 because people said they sound the same as the 598's when modded.

I heard the 598's in the store and liked them.

 

Last night I listened to 558's for the first time after I bought them online and they don't sound as smooth as my impression of the 598's in the store.

I listened to different music but found it a little too bright and lacking bass.

 

So, was this post made before you modded them (by removing the tape) or is it true that the 558's just won't sound as good as the 598's?

post #66 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post
 

Oh that piece. That's not where the foam tape is at all. You have to unscrew the whole driver housing plate to access the tape,


Thanks!

 

Now I'm wondering if this WILL make it sound like the 598.

post #67 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol View Post
 


StreetDragon,

 

 

I bought the 558 because people said they sound the same as the 598's when modded.

I heard the 598's in the store and liked them.

 

Last night I listened to 558's for the first time after I bought them online and they don't sound as smooth as my impression of the 598's in the store.

I listened to different music but found it a little too bright and lacking bass.

 

So, was this post made before you modded them (by removing the tape) or is it true that the 558's just won't sound as good as the 598's?

It still doesn't sound as refined as the HD598, though mine has a more warm tilted signature. Though I am always tinkering with my hd558's damping and material placement. So I cannot say for certain. Overall the most similar conclusion I can make is that the modded HD558 is warmer with a more uneven treble.

post #68 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post
 

It still doesn't sound as refined as the HD598, though mine has a more warm tilted signature. Though I am always tinkering with my hd558's damping and material placement. So I cannot say for certain. Overall the most similar conclusion I can make is that the modded HD558 is warmer with a more uneven treble.


Thanks SD,

 

Unfortunately when I saw the graph I thought they were the same HP and when some said remove the tape then it IS the same I bought them online from a dealer who will not accept returns. :(

 

Oh well...at least I only paid $160.00 where the 598's are about $275.00 here.

post #69 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol View Post
 


Thanks SD,

 

Unfortunately when I saw the graph I thought they were the same HP and when some said remove the tape then it IS the same I bought them online from a dealer who will not accept returns. :(

 

Oh well...at least I only paid $160.00 where the 598's are about $275.00 here.

Well it's still a great value if you ask me :P Afterall after the modding, the HD558 actually has a meatier richer sound than the HD598 at the cost of some treble refinement. It's about on par overall. D note I removed the grill fabric, the silver ring outside and the thin cloth inside the earcup too.

post #70 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post
 

 D note I removed the grill fabric, the silver ring outside and the thin cloth inside the earcup too.

So your speakers are exposed?

 

How would removing the silver ring effect sound?

post #71 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol View Post
 

So your speakers are exposed?

 

How would removing the silver ring effect sound?

Actually surprisingly it does. And yeah my speakers are exposed, every week or so i have to use some tape and clean it delicately. 
The removal of the grill cloth and silver ring help remove some veil and muffle sound to it, expands the soundstage a little too.
The removal of the inner lining cloth helps improve the bass richness and depth a little.

post #72 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post
 

Actually surprisingly it does. And yeah my speakers are exposed, every week or so i have to use some tape and clean it delicately. 
The removal of the grill cloth and silver ring help remove some veil and muffle sound to it, expands the soundstage a little too.
The removal of the inner lining cloth helps improve the bass richness and depth a little.


Thanks SD, I'll definitely give it a try then.

 

Is it difficult to remove the ring and once off can it be put back on?

post #73 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukol View Post
 


Thanks SD, I'll definitely give it a try then.

 

Is it difficult to remove the ring and once off can it be put back on?

The ring cant be put back on, the grill cloth not at all.

post #74 of 130

Just ordered myself a pair of HD 598s

Just curious wether these headphones need an amp like a pair of K702's would to bring out the full sound?

I'm thinking of picking up the usual Modi/Magni Schiit stack if so


Edited by BasedKozak - 3/2/14 at 4:54am
post #75 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasedKozak View Post
 

Just ordered myself a pair of HD 598s

Just curious wether these headphones need an amp like a pair of K702's would to bring out the full sound?

I'm thinking of picking up the usual Modi/Magni Schiit stack if so


I heard the 598's in a store with an I-Pod and they sounded great.

However, an amp should make them sound slightly better.

 

Last night I experimented with the gain on my Little Dot III amp and discovered the maximum setting produced better bass and smoother highs on my 558's.


Edited by Koukol - 3/2/14 at 10:50am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 558 vs. the HD 598