Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Essential Rock & Metal Headphone & Gear Appreciation Thread!!! Fans Unite!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Essential Rock & Metal Headphone & Gear Appreciation Thread!!! Fans Unite!! - Page 4

post #46 of 71

Great thread! Can't believe as a metal fan I haven't found my way here before!

 

Lots of new stuff to check out here too... Especially in the stoner metal line, which I'm starting to get into in a big way.

 

Anyways, in terms of my headphones, I've enjoyed these for metal:

 

GS1000i

RS1

HE-6

T5p

HD800

HD25-1 II

 

Driven well I'd probably rate the HE-6 the best of these for my ears.

 

Didn't enjoy with metal so much:

Ed 8

Sig Pro

LCD2

W3000ANV

HD650

 

Sources: Audio-GD Reference 10 on desktop, Galaxy Note 2 with various portable DAC/amp combos (RSA Intruder, HeadAmp Pico, Apex Glacier, Leckterton UHA-6S.MKII).

 

Leave you guys with some stuff I like that hasn't been mentioned here yet:

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by NZtechfreak - 1/25/13 at 12:46am
post #47 of 71

So many great discoveries to be made here, keep em' coming! I'll contribute with a few more:

 

Sithu Aye, check out the rest of his stuff too, great progressive music!

 

 

Some folk metal, Eluveitie:

 

 

This is a bit more cheesy and cliché "soft" metalcore, but I'm digging these guys and they're pretty new. Mutiny Within:

 

 

I was going to stop here but I guess I have to make up the last song with something heavier so please, have some Dagoba smily_headphones1.gif

 

post #48 of 71

Posting some mostly unpopular gems:

 

 

Avant-garde prog/black:

 

Prog/powerr:

 

Power/black:

 

Middle-easter death/black:

post #49 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossliew View Post

A well amped HE-6 is exciting for metal! 

 

What about the LCD-2? Anyone have any impressions of these with metal?

 

The LCD-2 are very good with Metal, especially with the Schiit Mjolnir.

post #50 of 71
I don't like the LCD2 at all for metal. I adore it for some stuff, but not most metal. Most metal has a fair amount of treble energy, which the LCD2 doesn't reproduce well - as a guitarist metal doesn't 'sound right' on the LCD2. Much prefer my HE-6 there.
post #51 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

I don't like the LCD2 at all for metal. I adore it for some stuff, but not most metal. Most metal has a fair amount of treble energy, which the LCD2 doesn't reproduce well - as a guitarist metal doesn't 'sound right' on the LCD2. Much prefer my HE-6 there.


Rev.1, I assume as Rev.2 is quite energetic in treble, anything more would be a shrill.

 

EDIT: Never mind, your profile says that you own rev.2. confused.gif


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 1/26/13 at 6:26pm
post #52 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

I don't like the LCD2 at all for metal. I adore it for some stuff, but not most metal. Most metal has a fair amount of treble energy, which the LCD2 doesn't reproduce well - as a guitarist metal doesn't 'sound right' on the LCD2. Much prefer my HE-6 there.

 

I need to use DSP on the Foobar to let out the treble on the LCD2r2, same as you i prefer the HFM (HE-500) for metal music and the DT880/600 ohm with a slight margin, but nevertheless both LCD2r2 and HFM have an excellent timber and PRaT

post #53 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeinharis View Post

 

I need to use DSP on the Foobar to let out the treble on the LCD2r2, same as you i prefer the HFM (HE-500) for metal music and the DT880/600 ohm with a slight margin, but nevertheless both LCD2r2 and HFM have an excellent timber and PRaT

 

I actually haven't tried applying a little EQ to the treble while listening to the LCD-2 for metal, interesting thought and something I will get around to trying out. I have enough headphones that I just tend to go to the one that fits best for me with the genre I'm listening to, rather than messing around with EQ.

 

No doubt the LCD-2 is a fantastic headphone, I'm not saying otherwise, just that I don't think metal is one of its strengths and there are a number of other headphones that do metal better to my ear. 

post #54 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

 

I actually haven't tried applying a little EQ to the treble while listening to the LCD-2 for metal, interesting thought and something I will get around to trying out. I have enough headphones that I just tend to go to the one that fits best for me with the genre I'm listening to, rather than messing around with EQ.

 

No doubt the LCD-2 is a fantastic headphone, I'm not saying otherwise, just that I don't think metal is one of its strengths and there are a number of other headphones that do metal better to my ear. 

 

Try this http://foosion.foobar2000.org/components/?id=delta

post #55 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

I don't like the LCD2 at all for metal. I adore it for some stuff, but not most metal. Most metal has a fair amount of treble energy, which the LCD2 doesn't reproduce well - as a guitarist metal doesn't 'sound right' on the LCD2. Much prefer my HE-6 there.

I had the same opinion until I tried the Rev.2 with the Mjolnir.
post #56 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfillion View Post


I had the same opinion until I tried the Rev.2 with the Mjolnir.

 

From what I've read about the Mjolnir it has quite a forward sound, so perhaps for aggressive music it is a better pairing for the LCD-2 than others?

 

I'm running mine off the Audio-GD Reference 10, so I don't think a case can be made that I'm not driving the LCD-2 well, but the Audio-GD is an exceptionally transparent DAC/amp - it won't be doing anything to change the natural sound of the LCD-2, so perhaps it isn't quite as apt a pairing for aggressive music. Prior to that I was running the ASUS Xonar Essence One, which has quite a forward sound, and still didn't like them for metal (of course the ASUS isn't in the same league as the Mjolnir or Reference 10).

post #57 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

From what I've read about the Mjolnir it has quite a forward sound, so perhaps for aggressive music it is a better pairing for the LCD-2 than others?

 

 

For my musical tastes, the Mjolnir is the best amplifiers that I have heard with the Audeze headphones.  (My DAC is the Oppo BDP-105 with the Sabre ES9018)

 

I'm listening Dream Theater - Trains Of Thought on my LCD-3 and the electric guitars are nice and crunchy with a lot of presence.

post #58 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfillion View Post

 

For my musical tastes, the Mjolnir is the best amplifiers that I have heard with the Audeze headphones.  (My DAC is the Oppo BDP-105 with the Sabre ES9018)

 

I'm listening Dream Theater - Trains Of Thought on my LCD-3 and the electric guitars are nice and crunchy with a lot of presence.

 

 

Nice!!! My favorite DT album...I can just imagine Endless Sacrifice on those bad boys....

 

More Ultrasone love for me to wind down the day....

 

 

 

 

post #59 of 71

listening to lots of prog/metal, ayreon, dream theater, yes, rush, jethro tull, seventh wonder, symphony x, etc., etc. on my new he-400s with my magni, and i've never enjoyed my music so much. even my gf loves them, because they sound even better with some good classics like hotel california and rumours or pretty much anything live or acoustic. +1 hifimanfan! also, my v-moda m80's also treat me pretty well when i need some headphones to help me do yardwork/cleaning/cooking/grocery shopping.

post #60 of 71

I am here now to re awaken the demons! 

I too am rocking the SE215, and they work pretty well for now as I slowly work my way up. Can't get enough of my Opeth, Meshuggah, Wintersun (especially in my 668b L3000.gif ) TesseracT, Angel Vivaldi, Dream Theater, All Shall Perish, ABR!

 

Yes I am happy.

 

Edit: Silly me gotta flaunt my crazy taste a little.

One of my favorite bands.

 

My latest crush. Been on repeat daily for the past month. Simply love this dudes voice.

 

InstruMetalksc75smile.gif btw This is my vid I made & uploaded why I found this song wasn't on youtube already.cool.gif

The dudes work brightens my day.

 

Last but not least! Nuf saidL3000.gif


Edited by D3Seeker - 3/22/13 at 12:12am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Essential Rock & Metal Headphone & Gear Appreciation Thread!!! Fans Unite!!