I recently bought a pair of Sony zx700 headphones for the amazing price of 25 dollars used in "acceptable" condition. When they arrived at my door yesterday, I opened the package, then the box, an put the headphones on. The first thing I noticed was that the right ear was not working. I don't know in what universe half broken is acceptable, but I got what I paid for. I took the earpad off, to take a look at the driver, and It looked fine. I then took the driver housing out of the headphone (a matter of 6 small Phillips head screws) and the soldering looked fine as well. I re-soldered the wires, for good measure, but it still didn't work. I noticed that the driver actually came out of the housing, so I took the driver out, and tried to find a replacement, but I have had no luck. Does anyone know where I could buy such a driver? If not, what should I do?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 51 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Location: Northbrook, I
- Select All Posts By This User
I had a pair of those, they're great cans for the price! Of course $25 isn't the best price for a half broken pair of headphones XD
Have you looked into the cable? I could be wrong but it seems more likely to me that the plug or cable is damaged rather than a driver being completely blown to the point that there's no audio coming out at all.
For that, open both sides of the headphone and take a multimeter to measure the two ends of both cables going through the headband. If the resistance is not overloaded, then this cable is functional.
You can always measure just the ground and live wires going to the right cup, but that will only tell you if there's a definite break somewhere in there, including the right drivers (like if the voice coil got snapped).
In situations where the damage is really bad (at the jack), I don't think bending around at the jack will get you any sound.
I've been looking for an excuse to buy a multimeter, and this will certainly suffice. Thank you Kalbee, I will take all of this into consideration. I sent a request to have return them to amazon, so hopefully none of this will matter, I was just hoping I could pop in a new driver, but now I know that isn't necessarily the case. I think I'll wait and see what Amazon says before I mess with the phones too much more. Thanks a bunch! I will update with what happens; if I fix em', ect.
Okay, so Amazon gave me a full refund, no questions asked, and I get to keep the headphones. I think I found the problem, so tell me if this makes sense, haha. Right where the cable enters the can (http://imgur.com/K5R1D) the cable is torn open. Not broken, mind you, but the copper wiring is exposed, and some of it is actually tearing a little. Could I fix the wire without installing a new one? Could this even be the problem?
That is awesome!
I think I found the problem, so tell me if this makes sense, haha. Right where the cable enters the can (http://imgur.com/K5R1D) the cable is torn open. Not broken, mind you, but the copper wiring is exposed, and some of it is actually tearing a little. Could I fix the wire without installing a new one? Could this even be the problem?
It makes sense. Wires at those locations in headphones are prone to breakage from various ways. They use very thin wires there, and those ones usually are made up of ~10 strands of copper. If some of it is tearing, it could be just that. Exposed wires don't do too much in damage in the short term.
Assuming that is the problem: Depending on the specific location and shape around the area, you -could- fix the problem by joining the broken ends with solder... but solder is not flexible for most parts and if it's in a joint then it won't work. Replacing that cable is going to be extensive work as well, in the event where disassembly is difficult. The easiest way out, conceptually (in my head), will be to cut the cables (ignore the parts that go through the headband) and rewire them to have cables coming out from both sides. Or removable cables on both sides.
They have been fixed! Basically, the right cable (to the driver that is) got severed, so we (my brother and I) pulled the cable out of the cup, cut it to a usable point, and soldered on a new cable. Unfortunately putting the in they way it came proved to be an impossible task, so we ran in through the little hole towards the top of the cup (it was just a little screen, so we poked a hole in it. It looks a little ugly, but it also isn't too noticeable. I might do it on the other ear too, just to keep symmetry.
Just so you know, I really loved this Idea, the double sided detachable cables, but I had nowhere near enough now-how.
Good job man! Saved a headphone from the dumpster life.
And saved yourself some money too :P
Though now that you've just filled a vent hole, you might want to note if there's any changes in sound. Might be unnoticeable, which would be the best case scenario.
To do so, try using some MONO sound source and listen to L & R with same ear. Not perfectly effective but anyhow, in case you get paranoid on how much sound you'd be altering, if any.