Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Interested buying a Turntable, a good idea?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Interested buying a Turntable, a good idea? - Page 2

post #16 of 49

You'll still need a preamp, you can get a decent one for around a $75+ if you go to a professional music store (Guitar Center, Tom Lee's, L&M etc).

Honestly and truly I think to really get the most out of vinyl requires a $250-350 budget for the table alone, $80 for the preamp and a MINIMUM of $90 for your cartridge.

For example my current setup is a used technics sl1200mk2 ($300), Denon DL110 ($160), ART USB phono plus ($110). The thing with cheaper turntables is that ALL the parts are inferior; sure it will play records but you'll miss a lot of the magic because the materials aren't gaulity enough to convey it. I think your best bet is to either save up and raise your budget (excellent idea because you can research at the same time), or hunt and hunt and hunt for phenomenal used gear. But I promise once you get a nice setup that works for you it will be such a beautiful moment! gs1000.gif

post #17 of 49
Thread Starter 
Great post btw. I think I'll hold off on getting a turntable. Maybe in the future when it's more practical. I'll spend some time looking around for quality equipment. It's not too important to me since I've never actually owned one. I honestly doubt I'll be using it to often. I use headphones more often than my speakers, and what fun is that to use headphones with a turntable? I'm still settling in all my CDs and FLAC files anyway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid vic View Post

You'll still need a preamp, you can get a decent one for around a $75+ if you go to a professional music store (Guitar Center, Tom Lee's, L&M etc).
Honestly and truly I think to really get the most out of vinyl requires a $250-350 budget for the table alone, $80 for the preamp and a MINIMUM of $90 for your cartridge.
For example my current setup is a used technics sl1200mk2 ($300), Denon DL110 ($160), ART USB phono plus ($110). The thing with cheaper turntables is that ALL the parts are inferior; sure it will play records but you'll miss a lot of the magic because the materials aren't gaulity enough to convey it. I think your best bet is to either save up and raise your budget (excellent idea because you can research at the same time), or hunt and hunt and hunt for phenomenal used gear. But I promise once you get a nice setup that works for you it will be such a beautiful moment! gs1000.gif
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFoneMan View Post

Great post btw. I think I'll hold off on getting a turntable. Maybe in the future when it's more practical. I'll spend some time looking around for quality equipment. It's not too important to me since I've never actually owned one. I honestly doubt I'll be using it to often. I use headphones more often than my speakers, and what fun is that to use headphones with a turntable? I'm still settling in all my CDs and FLAC files anyway!

I love using a TT with my headphones. I have my gear set up to where I can flip my records without leaving my armchair with headphones on. I have to walk across the room when listening to speakers. smily_headphones1.gif
post #19 of 49
Denon DP 300f is very good entry TT at $329 with a mediocre cartridge. It's not fancy and audiophiles may not like the fact that it is automatic but it works well, looks good and is IMO comparable to the entry Project, Rega and Music Hall offerings. It also has the option of a built in phono per-amp, which can be shut off, so it can be used with an amp that doesn't have a phono in.
Edited by parbaked - 1/4/13 at 4:28pm
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post


True to an extent but what about new music that does have 5 masters to pick from? Mumford & Sons for example. The LP release is significantly more dynamic than the CD.
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=Mumford&search_album=Sigh+no+more
Unfortunately good new music is often hit hard by the loudness war. Nothing you can really do but by the vinyl to squeeze the best out of those releases. I love Sigh No More but even the LP sounds very lackluster compared the live (inb4sodoeseverything)...but I'd take it over the CD all day long.
The best versions are also usually significantly more expensive and though this is true with vinyl as well your chances of getting at least a decent one are better.

 

New good music like Mumford & Sons first album is pretty unusual. And like you say even the LP is compromised. The recent stuff I've read about where even the masters are compressed is really discouraging. This is truly a dark age for popular music. 

 

Thanks for the link. That's a useful site.

post #21 of 49

See, I like a lot of new music (new from granpa rockers, or just new artists) and buy a lot of new vinyl because the best master of a poor recording still sounds better than a poor master along with it.

 

Purity Ring is another example. Their LP release was more dynamic (noticably) than the downloads or CDs. Though I agree that it's a very unfortunate state for modern music.

 

Bookmark that site. I think everyone should. It's incredibly useful. I'm hoping to actually start contributing soon with more modern download vs LP side by sides. Some of the older stuff has a ton of masters and that will really help you weed out a good/decent one for the money.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

 

New good music like Mumford & Sons first album is pretty unusual. And like you say even the LP is compromised. The recent stuff I've read about where even the masters are compressed is really discouraging. This is truly a dark age for popular music. 

 

Thanks for the link. That's a useful site.

post #22 of 49
Thread Starter 
I don't know I feel like it would be odd. But I've never owned one so I can't be sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I love using a TT with my headphones. I have my gear set up to where I can flip my records without leaving my armchair with headphones on. I have to walk across the room when listening to speakers. smily_headphones1.gif

What should I buy first? Should I buy the turntable first and than other equipment like a pre amp and nicer speakers.
post #23 of 49

You need 3 things to be able to use your TT. Cartridge, Phono Preamp, and Turntable.

 

Most turntables in your range will include and cartridge, but you'll need a phono preamp as well. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFoneMan View Post

I don't know I feel like it would be odd. But I've never owned one so I can't be sure.
What should I buy first? Should I buy the turntable first and than other equipment like a pre amp and nicer speakers.
post #24 of 49

Hi

 

I set up my first hi fi in the late 70s and I've been listening to music through hi fis from that time until now.

 

I have set up many turntables and I still have one, although it is currently in parts and packed away.

 

I do think you budget is too low to get into the turntable thing. You can buy good turntables second-hand, such as the excellent Rega Planer turntables, but remember you will also need a cartridge and a phono stage (the later being a box of electronics which you put between the turntable and the input on your amplifier because turntables don't produce a tonally balanced output like a CD player).

 

I will say that there are some great advantages in using record players as opposed to CD players, you get a rather good grasp of some aspects of sound reproduction.

 

However personally, I prefer CD players. I think they produce much more consistent results.

post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by p a t r i c k View Post
(the later being a box of electronics which you put between the turntable and the input on your amplifier because turntables don't produce a tonally balanced output like a CD player).


Unless you have a reciever with a phono input, which is what someone on a budget is likely to get. 

post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFoneMan View Post

Great post btw. I think I'll hold off on getting a turntable. Maybe in the future when it's more practical. I'll spend some time looking around for quality equipment. It's not too important to me since I've never actually owned one. I honestly doubt I'll be using it to often. I use headphones more often than my speakers, and what fun is that to use headphones with a turntable? I'm still settling in all my CDs and FLAC files anyway!

Whatever you like playing your music out off is best! Records sound just as good through either headphones or speakers.

post #27 of 49

If it's a less than great record it's more obvious through headphones though. 

 

Most speakers are much more forgiving than your average headphones as far as surface noise and 'ghosting'.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid vic View Post

Whatever you like playing your music out off is best! Records sound just as good through either headphones or speakers.

post #28 of 49

Just got into the vinyl game myself, mostly to escape the "loudness war" that Morbid has mentioned.  

 

I ended up with the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon along with their Phono Box USB V Pre-amp.  

 

VERY pleased with the set up so far and will definitely be looking into some upgrades in the future.  I very much enjoy listening through headphones, but like Morbid said, you will hear a lot more of the crackles and pops that way.  A nice clean record will limit this, but it's still there.  If you can get past that, then headphones are a viable option.

 

That said, I'm still looking to get a nice pair of bookshelf speakers.  Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 are topping my list at the moment.,  

post #29 of 49

Good choices. The Carbon includes a great cart, and you may as well pair it with the brand amp.

 

The biggest issue I've been having with vinyl is the fact I can't stop buying it. It feels so much better than buying CDs.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post

Just got into the vinyl game myself, mostly to escape the "loudness war" that Morbid has mentioned.  

 

I ended up with the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon along with their Phono Box USB V Pre-amp.  

 

VERY pleased with the set up so far and will definitely be looking into some upgrades in the future.  I very much enjoy listening through headphones, but like Morbid said, you will hear a lot more of the crackles and pops that way.  A nice clean record will limit this, but it's still there.  If you can get past that, then headphones are a viable option.

 

That said, I'm still looking to get a nice pair of bookshelf speakers.  Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 are topping my list at the moment.,  

post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Good choices. The Carbon includes a great cart, and you may as well pair it with the brand amp.

 

The biggest issue I've been having with vinyl is the fact I can't stop buying it. It feels so much better than buying CDs.

 

 

Agreed:

 

Here were my first three vinyl purchases:

 

                      

 

 

I keep catching myself lying on my living room floor at midnight listening to these and reading along with the lyric books.  It's been making for miserably tired days at work tongue.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Interested buying a Turntable, a good idea?