need advice on closed headphones I have not bought any in 15 years and need to get good choices for under 120 bones. I have old sony v6's that are ok but don't have much bass extension and are boring (not very musical). I also own grado sr60's I like these alot but need closed headphones so I don't bother others. I will be driving anything I choose with vintage recievers so efficiency is not a concern. My music preferences are classic rock,rock,jazz,blues. Was looking for fairly balanced frequency response with decent bass extension but not over emphasized or muddy. nonfatiging is a must for long listening sessions. Don't mind doing some mods if I have to but keeping mostly stock would be nice. I was looking at CAL's or fostex t50's are there better options in the $120-$130 and under range that I should check out? Hoping for some experienced phone heads will help. thanks for your time.
Related Forum Threads
- Hello Last post on 2/24/15 at 1:33am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best headphone around 70 to 100$? Last post on 9/17/14 at 2:05pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD449 vs Shure SRH440 for vocals Last post on 10/5/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Searching for full-size headphone below $100 Last post on 10/3/13 at 4:23am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones with microphone or headset? Last post on 12/6/12 at 10:47am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
Exclusive sound, high quality patents "sandwich diaphragm" metal meets the technical.
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Both CAL and Fostex worth checking out, for sure.
In this price range there is also the Shure SRH440. Closed, monitoring type headphone and
the quick listen I had made it seem pretty musical. Wouldn't say it has real bass extension, however.
It's been years, but I seem to recall liking the tone (timbre, body, whatever) of the
Sennheiser HD 448... I guess now replaced by the HD 449. That should have more bass sound
if I recall correctly compared to the Shures.
flatmap thanks for the senn hd448-449 suggestion, doing some reading on them they look like a possibility I'll put them on my possible list. If I up my budget to $150-175 will There be a significantly better choices of cans?
Edit: Does amp use the 7591 output tubes? Sorry, somehow I jumped to
the idea that you were using a Fisher tube amp. Getting confused in my old age.
Edited by flatmap - 1/1/13 at 9:13pm
For your music taste, like mine. I'll toss out the HD 439, More bass then the 449 and a better mid, The 449 better in the treble tho:
Plus the 439 comes stock with Velour's the 449 pads are cheap. Not that that matters..$99 for the 439. Skip the M50's don't fall for it. Much better cans at the same price or even cheaper. Hell the Cal does everything better, Bass, Mids' Highs and comfort. And is dirt cheap.
- headphone advice
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 16 seconds ago
- › SF Bay Area Meet impressions (May 2, 2015) 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks) 1 minute ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 3 minutes ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 4 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 4 minutes ago
- › PC Gaming / voice recording setup 5 minutes ago
- › Mr. Speakers Mad Dog 3.0 - 3.2 Amp Pairing... 5 minutes ago
- › Senn HD 650 near MINT w/ Moon Dragon V2 HD650 HD600 10Ft cable... 7 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by KopaZ
- › Tennmak Sennheiser HD600/650 Short Cable by bikerboy94
- › Original Xiaomi Piston III Youth Edition Earphone Earbuds Headset... by leoscarax
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2