need advice on closed headphones I have not bought any in 15 years and need to get good choices for under 120 bones. I have old sony v6's that are ok but don't have much bass extension and are boring (not very musical). I also own grado sr60's I like these alot but need closed headphones so I don't bother others. I will be driving anything I choose with vintage recievers so efficiency is not a concern. My music preferences are classic rock,rock,jazz,blues. Was looking for fairly balanced frequency response with decent bass extension but not over emphasized or muddy. nonfatiging is a must for long listening sessions. Don't mind doing some mods if I have to but keeping mostly stock would be nice. I was looking at CAL's or fostex t50's are there better options in the $120-$130 and under range that I should check out? Hoping for some experienced phone heads will help. thanks for your time.
Related Forum Threads
- Hello Last post on 2/24/15 at 1:33am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best headphone around 70 to 100$? Last post on 9/17/14 at 2:05pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser HD449 vs Shure SRH440 for vocals Last post on 10/5/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Searching for full-size headphone below $100 Last post on 10/3/13 at 4:23am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones with microphone or headset? Last post on 12/6/12 at 10:47am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
These are also known as the monoprice 8323's. I have these for nearly 2 years. I bought them a few months after my faithfull 8323's. Pros - for the price they deliver the highest quality...
Let me start this review with some information about the company that made these headphones, Philips. The company that invented the CD, the first radio etc. As a Dutch guy, I'm very connected with...
I'll start off by saying I am by no means an audiophile, just a kid with some money and a passion for music. These headphones, as far as I can tell, have more prominent mids than most...
Let me just say one thing up front: if you have any complaints about the speed or the bass extension of these headphones, you need a better headphone amp. /endofdiscussion The HD600s will take the...
Sound is neutral with a slight mid bass tilt. Highs and lows are well extended. Sound stage is large for an iem. The bass has some impact without being boomy. The treble is clear without...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Both CAL and Fostex worth checking out, for sure.
In this price range there is also the Shure SRH440. Closed, monitoring type headphone and
the quick listen I had made it seem pretty musical. Wouldn't say it has real bass extension, however.
It's been years, but I seem to recall liking the tone (timbre, body, whatever) of the
Sennheiser HD 448... I guess now replaced by the HD 449. That should have more bass sound
if I recall correctly compared to the Shures.
flatmap thanks for the senn hd448-449 suggestion, doing some reading on them they look like a possibility I'll put them on my possible list. If I up my budget to $150-175 will There be a significantly better choices of cans?
Edit: Does amp use the 7591 output tubes? Sorry, somehow I jumped to
the idea that you were using a Fisher tube amp. Getting confused in my old age.
Edited by flatmap - 1/1/13 at 9:13pm
For your music taste, like mine. I'll toss out the HD 439, More bass then the 449 and a better mid, The 449 better in the treble tho:
Plus the 439 comes stock with Velour's the 449 pads are cheap. Not that that matters..$99 for the 439. Skip the M50's don't fall for it. Much better cans at the same price or even cheaper. Hell the Cal does everything better, Bass, Mids' Highs and comfort. And is dirt cheap.
- headphone advice
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 15 seconds ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread 16 seconds ago
- › The Tera player thread.Philips R2R DAC ( impressions, opinions,... 38 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 minutes ago
- › The Mayflower CMOY : A portable O2? 4 minutes ago
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3